Pyramid 2019/2020

5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

...We will get a clearer picture after 14th November, I believe some PWG members have asked that an agreed statement is released following that meeting to clarify the exact position and to stop speculation and supposition.

Have been reading your posts on this subject off and on for around twenty years now. Hope you are enjoying going from being the sane voice of reason out in the wilderness on this subject (as opposed to the guy from Saltcoats) to being less than a year from it finally happening.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Have been reading your posts on this subject off and on for around twenty years now. Hope you are enjoying going from being the sane voice of reason out in the wilderness on this subject (as opposed to the guy from Saltcoats) to being less than a year from it finally happening.

I think we both want the same thing, to the benefit of all clubs.  I'm enjoying the halfway house this season, I truly hope the rest of the East Juniors and EoS are playing in the same leagues next season, the West come fully onboard, and a solution found to the North/Tayside/HL.

Pete Smyth wants the same thing, but goes a very odd way of communicating it, he has his own ideas shall we say.

5 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Another issue is where do any ambitious ammies/upstarts from the east join if they desire the pyramid?

If any other country proposed two leagues covering the same geographic area it'd be shot down instantly.

Unless they are in an area with lots of Junior clubs around them, surely the EOS is the way to go. I can't see Syngenta or any top LEAFA clubs wanting to join the SJFA.

Remember this is Scotland, things don't move quickly - let's get everyone agreed and together at tier 6, then merge the east, and finally integrate the SOS!

3 hours ago, stanley said:

What's the point in the juniors moving into the senior pyramid and still remaining "junior"?  There are one or two on here saying that this would be a victory for the junior clubs but I'm not sure how it would be.   They would no longer be in their own independent system from the seniors; they would be part of it although with huge divides in the east remaining and losing out on more local matches.

That's one for the Junior forum - it's been asked many times to define being "Junior" and what makes them unique but we've never got an answer...

If you don't have a separate league system, the SFA deals with disciplinary, there's no reinstatement, the fixtures are sorted so the seasons end at the same time, and if there is an SFA non-league cup then you're basically only junior because you're still with the SJFA.

10 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The only part of the pyramid that would see it as an issue is the Eastern side who do not want to stretch from somewhere in Angus to Berwick.

If the EOS took in the Tayside clubs I don't think anyone further south than Penicuik would be in the EOS Premier to begin with. Maybe it would need to be regionalised at tier 7 as a second east division would surely include some Tayside and Border clubs.

Though it should be contingent on the west doing the same and integrating the SOS, which would then solve the whole issue of where Dalbeattie or Gretna go when relegated.

As for LL relegation - the goal should be to work towards two regions at tier 6 each with automatic promotion, and two down from the LL.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Unless they are in an area with lots of Junior clubs around them, surely the EOS is the way to go. I can't see Syngenta or any top LEAFA clubs wanting to join the SJFA.

You've also got the curious case of Glasgow University. Apart from applying for the Lowland League, they've supposedly been remaining amateur waiting for a proper West of Scotland league system.

Are they now allowed to remain outwith the pyramid? Does that mean other amateurs can get licenced? Do they have to sign up for the SJFA now? Can they sign up for the West Region withough joining the SJFA?

7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

If the EOS took in the Tayside clubs I don't think anyone further south than Penicuik would be in the EOS Premier to begin with. Maybe it would need to be regionalised at tier 7 as a second east division would surely include some Tayside and Border clubs.

I've no idea how any merger would work. The old East Region set up seemed nice enough, but since it's broken up one of the recurring themes is how happy some clubs have been not travelling through to Tayside. Maybe it would be just one region wide league, at least initially.

50 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You've also got the curious case of Glasgow University. Apart from applying for the Lowland League, they've supposedly been remaining amateur waiting for a proper West of Scotland league system.

Are they now allowed to remain outwith the pyramid? Does that mean other amateurs can get licenced? Do they have to sign up for the SJFA now? Can they sign up for the West Region withough joining the SJFA?

I've no idea how any merger would work. The old East Region set up seemed nice enough, but since it's broken up one of the recurring themes is how happy some clubs have been not travelling through to Tayside. Maybe it would be just one region wide league, at least initially.

The EoS could be split at a lower level along the lines of the East Region's North and South leagues. For sake of this, assuming predicted top 5s will form a new EoS league, leaving:

image.png.437d22fc9ed552361b92cdc48132534d.png

Those regions could be split into two vertical divisions to reduce the blitzings seen this season, giving EoS structure of:

image.png.fbcbc11f523e083861cf364796e13877.png

Edited by cmontheloknow

Just looking at those regional leagues, it reminds me of something I noticed about the new 'all in' West leagues. In the bottom  2 divisions, the newly merged ones, before today's games, there is only one Ayrshire side (Ardrossan WR) not in the bottom 4.

Not sure how long the experiment will last?

Just now, Burnie_man said:

Plausible, but you have Tayside clubs feeding into the already overloaded LL.

Yeah, the decision has to be made as to what the Lowland League's footprint will be. As it stands, Dalbeattie to Kelty is the longest journey and while Dundee is not a huge amount further, throw in a Carnoustie it's a further 2hrs or so on the round trip.

14 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Plausible, but you have Tayside clubs feeding into the already overloaded LL.

The two region model was always going to be an issue if the Juniors integrated. 16 clubs doesn't make much difference to the unequal divide. Getting as many clubs licenced as soon as possible to give voices within the SFA to reconstruct the Lowland League into LL West and LL East should be the priority.

It doesn't seem like there's much apetite from the SPFL to make 42nd an automatic relegation spot. So amending the current play off to a 4 way one with HL/LLW/LLE/SPFL42 might actually be acceptable to the SPFL.

32 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

The EoS could be split at a lower level along the lines of the East Region's North and South leagues. For sake of this, assuming predicted top 5s will form a new EoS league, leaving:

image.png.437d22fc9ed552361b92cdc48132534d.png

Those regions could be split into two vertical divisions to reduce the blitzings seen this season, giving EoS structure of:

image.png.fbcbc11f523e083861cf364796e13877.png

I like it. It's just right now, where's the motivation for the East Region Super League clubs to accept going beneath the East of Scotland Premier? Supposedly they'll have equal standing with the new EoS Premier and retain Junior status. From their point of view they'd be giving up their identity and standing with nothing in return.

18 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I like it. It's just right now, where's the motivation for the East Region Super League clubs to accept going beneath the East of Scotland Premier? Supposedly they'll have equal standing with the new EoS Premier and retain Junior status. From their point of view they'd be giving up their identity and standing with nothing in return.

My proposition assumes a merger and the disbanding of the SJFA as it serves no purpose beyond administering a diminished cup. They have zero influence over the regional leagues other than supplying a rulebook that the clubs must follow. I really can see no purpose of the SJFA continuing, beyond as an occasionaly convened cup committee (i.e. what the West of Scotland Association used to be like pre the 2002 superleague era). What would it do?

If there is a merger, you could argue I suppose for a few clubs from the weak East Super to claim a spot. The current top 5 is likely the final top five... Lochee Utd, Broughty, Thornton, Whitburn and Tayport - the latter pair trounced today in the Junior Cup. Apparently the EoS have guaranteed their conference top 5s a place in the top legaue next season. Adding in even 3 East Super sides makes it a weighty 18. But maybe that's the way to go. The Conf top 5s plus say Broughty, Lochee U and Thornton for example. Some of the others have little belonging at a new, strong level 6 (same could be said for SoS, mind).

The West Region can be transplanted into the pyramid lock, stock and barrell, officials and all. The East, less so for obvious reasons.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

My proposition assumes a merger and the disbanding of the SJFA as it serves no purpose beyond administering a diminished cup. If there is a merger, you could argue I suppose for a few clubs from the weak East Super to claim a spot. The current top 5 is likely the final top five... Lochee Utd, Broughty, Thornton, Whitburn and Tayport - the latter pair trounved today in the Junior Cup. Apparently the EoS have guaranteed their conference top 5s a place in the top legaue next season. Adding in even 3 East Super sides makes it a weighty 18. But maybe that's the way to go. The Conf top 5s plus say Broughty, Lochee U and Thornton for example. Some of the others have little belonging at a new, strong level 6 (same could be said for SoS, mind).

The 15 guaranteed spots can be whittled down to at least 14 (EoS Champion promoted). So an offer could be made to the top 2-4 East Super League clubs. An 18 team EoS was supposedly what they were willing to run as this year before having to split into divisions.

55 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The 15 guaranteed spots can be whittled down to at least 14 (EoS Champion promoted). So an offer could be made to the top 2-4 East Super League clubs. An 18 team EoS was supposedly what they were willing to run as this year before having to split into divisions.

Whitehill Welfare could be coming down though...

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The two region model was always going to be an issue if the Juniors integrated. 16 clubs doesn't make much difference to the unequal divide. Getting as many clubs licenced as soon as possible to give voices within the SFA to reconstruct the Lowland League into LL West and LL East should be the priority.

It doesn't seem like there's much apetite from the SPFL to make 42nd an automatic relegation spot. So amending the current play off to a 4 way one with HL/LLW/LLE/SPFL42 might actually be acceptable to the SPFL.

I think it’s a bit of a jump to imagine splitting the lowland league east and west. I don’t think the lowland league or the east teams are going to be in favour anytime soon.

36 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Whitehill Welfare could be coming down though...

There's a open vacancy though.  EoS Champion is promoted, Whitehill get relegated. Most likely candidate for the Selkirk vacancy right now would be a Whitehill reprieve or another EoS club.

15 spots at Tier 6 guaranteed

- EoS Champion

+ Whitehill Welfare

- another EoS Club to take up the vacancy, which could even be Whitehill Welfare

= 14.

Right now it's early doors but it's not looking good for a licenced SoS Champion. So all the EoS needs is to have a licenced Champion. It's not clear if the SJFA clubs will be able to get licenced at the minute, and by the time it's confirmed it could be too late for them. So the opposition to a EoS Club filling Selkirk's vacancy would be Girvan, Glasgow University, or a SoS club that failed to win their league.

27 minutes ago, BS7 said:

I think it’s a bit of a jump to imagine splitting the lowland league east and west. I don’t think the lowland league or the east teams are going to be in favour anytime soon.

It's a mid term thinking of at least 2-3 years. A year or two for enough clubs to be licenced to have 20+ licenced clubs in the West of Scotland and East of Scotland. A year in advance to agree the change.

11 hours ago, superbigal said:

Yes potentially. But clearly the email is not private and it is for the recipients to circulate to their members.Clearly the 1st to publicise will be those that are most advantaged and can say "told you so".Then those less happy grumble in the background.

Personally I disagree but for me you can't say it wont happen.

I suspect the juniors have more clout in ear bending than the eos does in being seen to be awkward.

i suspect even you if this was being discussed 4 years ago would have expected the junuors to be on a par with the eos or even replace/absorb it.

Al, ask Burnieman  to  publish the minutes from  the EoS that was sent out on Thursday ..........................