Alloa Athletic Vs Gary Caldwell's Partick Thistle

Doolan moving into scapegoat of the week?

Can't argue he's been poor but I want to see us treat him like Killie did with Boyd last season.

He doesn't drop deep or chase balls out wide. Just stay in the strikezone where we all know he does the business.

It's been disheartening seeing him having to deal with long balls launched up to him from c***s with biscuit tins on their feet.

Don't get me wrong even to work in that environment he has to improve on some of his play, especially the offside thing. Not an issue on today's basketball park, tbf.

He also has competition in the wings and I'm all for playing the man on form.

Anyway, I'd not argue with Coulibaly starting next week...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

45 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Doolan moving into scapegoat of the week?

Can't argue he's been poor but I want to see us treat him like Killie did with Boyd last season.

He doesn't drop deep or chase balls out wide. Just stay in the strikezone where we all know he does the business.

It's been disheartening seeing him having to deal with long balls launched up to him from c***s with biscuit tins on their feet.

Don't get me wrong even to work in that environment he has to improve on some of his play, especially the offside thing. Not an issue on today's basketball park, tbf.

He also has competition in the wings and I'm all for playing the man on form.

Anyway, I'd not argue with Coulibaly starting next week...

I want to see Doolan get a testimonial, but we need to be very careful with this loyalty stuff, because we kept a legend far too long on the management side and are in danger of making the same mistake on the playing side. Doolan and Erskine aren't the players they were. Elliott has been a good servant as well and is absolutely atrocious now.

Club needs to be ruthless in the rebuilding, that includes the fans who are far too accepting of people with a connection to the club.

18 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

I want to see Doolan get a testimonial, but we need to be very careful with this loyalty stuff, because we kept a legend far too long on the management side and are in danger of making the same mistake on the playing side. Doolan and Erskine aren't the players they were. Elliott has been a good servant as well and is absolutely atrocious now.

Club needs to be ruthless in the rebuilding, that includes the fans who are far too accepting of people with a connection to the club.

Not bothered about loyalty. I just think we can either employ him better as a starter or even as an impact sub.

I appreciate he's on the cusp age wise but there's still a good player there.

We have plenty of issues, I hope GC can sort some of them out and for those he can't be very active in January...

We seem to be stumbling from blaming managers to players before Caldwell has even got his feet under the door.

Doolan may not be the player he was - and that's debatable - he is and has been a wonderful ambassador for this football club. I'm sure he'll get his double figures this season.

That said, I do agree with the observation that people can be kept too long due to past service. In that regard Doolan, Erskine, Bannigan and Elliott are absolutely fair game for scrutiny. They need to show that they are worth being kept around. For me, all the players are on trial until the window opens, including the four above.

Coulibaly looked both totally off the pace and our only real goal threat at the same time - if we get him fully fit and in form we’ll be a different proposition up front, since Doolan is always going to struggle up there on his own.  

In general though, we were dreadful, and you have to hope Caldwell knows that, regardless of what he says in public. Elliot, Storey and possibly Doolan need to sit down for a week or two, in Elliot’s case he needs to sit down for considerably longer, preferably until we sign a remotely competent right-back.

Credit to Alloa though - they were very well organised, had obviously worked out that we’re completely toothless if nobody is moving ahead of Slater when he gets on the ball, and once they got ahead they should have beaten us by more in the end. We didn’t create any better chances than the two they missed at 1-0.

Great to get that first win; really pleased for big Jim and the players. Also delighted for Zanatta getting his first league goal for the club.

Once again, couldn't fault the attitude and effort from the team. No failures.

Also thought Robbo had a great game today and was probably my man of the match...

3 hours ago, Paul Cicero said:

Fantastic result for Gary Caldwell and bang on course for his 3rd managerial dismissal consecutively.

If Gary Caldwell is dismissed, perhaps Oran Kearney could get him a job as a Classroom Assistant when he returns to teaching in the not too distant future?

Got to admit probably not one of the best performances of the season but got to take the win when they come along. The monkey of no wins is off the back and passing Brechin’s points total of last season releases any sort of superstition or negativity which was being banned around.

The midfield and defence kept their shape and limited Patrick to shoots from distance. Roscoe deservedly man of match superb with big Andy. Felt we created very few chances today compared to some other weeks.

Darios first touch to set himself up for goal was superb and was he was outstanding throughout the game.

Not taking anything away fromAlloa today, as having Over 30 years of following Scottish football. I have got to admit that was one of poorest Patrick teams I have ever seen, I have seen them hand us a number of spankings. both their centre backs where woeful and looked devoid of any sense of playing a pass short just looking to launch the ball down park and bell just kept trying to play it out from the back to them causing them no amount of fear when receiving it.

Honestly everything yesterday reeked of Archie. The team selection, tactics, right down to the post match interview. Not one view of the game suggested we played well, other than Caldwell's. Only positive I can take is that he did put more attacking players on once we were trailing. Not a good start at all, IMO. 

Nice finish by Dario Zanatta but another poor goal to lose from a Thistle pov.

We did seem a bit more compact but that also extended to our forward play where we didn't even use the limited width of the pitch.

On 10/21/2018 at 16:50, Jptor said:

Yeah - he’s off to Falkirk.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:18, Colkitto said:

Goodwin is destined for bigger things... Can't believe he hasn't been snapped up before now

Falkirk are more than welcome to Goodwin who is nothing more than a common thug.

Morons in the Thistle support wanted him as manager! Thank goodness the board had the good sense not to entertain such a dreadful person.

Mark my words

Goodwin is going no where.

Mr Gary Caldwell the Prince of Partick Thistle FC is destined to rise the very top.

#ingarywetrust  :bounce4:bounce2

Archived