First Quarter Review

That's the first round of games in. How's everyone doing?

Overall: We've taken 16 points form the first round, which is well on track for a top 4 finish and a haul I think everyone would have taken before the season started. That stat masks the fact that we were rubbish for the first four games and have been brilliant in the last 5. If it had been the other way around, I'm sure it would put a very different slant on it. In the opening four games, we went down to fairly dismal defeats to Dumbarton and Brechin, got dismantled against Arbroath and got a reasonably creditable point away at Raith. The old defensive frailties from last season were back again and although we had flashes of decent play, we were looking pretty toothless. Since then we've won 5 league games, 7 in all comps. Young did change the team about a bit which, in hindsight, was exactly the right think to do. Moving Meggatt and Agnew into the centre of the defence and midfield, respectively, and sticking to two up front being the main things. Since then we've probably playing the most effective football I've seen us play in a long time. There's a huge amount of graft in the team and we're generally playing a pretty effective passing game. The back four and keeper are looking rock solid, the midfield is industrious and creative and we have four in form strikers competing for two places. This run will obviously come to an end at some point and we've got a tough run of fixtures coming up (in our next four we play1st, 2nd, 4th and away to an underachieving Dumbarton side who might have a new manager bounce) but I've seen enough to think this season is the best chance we've had to get into the play-offs since they were introduced. I'm not quite convinced we can make a serious tilt at the title yet. Maybe I'm just being cautious. The next four games should put that to the test. Grade: A

Player of the quarter: Tough one as there's a few who're in with a very good shout but I'll go with Scott Agnew. Makes us tick in the middle of the park. Great range of passing, dangerous putting balls into the box and already scored a few long range efforts.

We're still unbeaten which is good, but we've underperformed to a degree which isn't so good. We've dropped more points this season at home already than we did all of last season but we've not lost any games.

There's a bit of an imbalance to the squad at the moment, but our fans will be hugely confident we've got the man to get the job done now. McGlynn is a far superior manager to Smith in terms of his track record.

Without meaning to be disrespectful to the clubs who we've dropped points to, we really could've done better in the first quarter. Injuries won't have helped either.

High points have been the form of Kevin Nisbet, the most ridiculous comeback in our history against Airdrie, and passing Locomotiv Dumbarton off the park while putting five past them.

Low points include Cuthbert's time as interim, and scraping draws at home to East Fife and Montrose.

The second quarter will be a lot more difficult. I'd expect Airdrie and Dumbarton to improve with new managers (if Dumbarton stop losing players to injury). East Fife are at their highest ebb since the 1960s. Arbroath look really solid too.

With that said, we've got McGlynn...

Pretty happy to be 2nd and just 4 points behind, considering the form of other teams and how bad we have been at times. Out of the 9 games, we've been excellent in 2,and varying from utter pish to pretty decent in the others. 

Glad the management change happened although it was bizarre timing. The League Cup campaign was absolutely dreadful to watch at times and you just had the feeling that there were some awful performances there to be had at some point with Smith in charge. Strange that he left when he did, but we have a significant upgrade in Mcglynn. 

Confident in the manager and hopefully over the course of the season we can make full time advantage count. That and not being soft as shit in the big games are what has let us down of late, and what I'm confident Mcglynn will address. 

That said our home form has to improve. Draw against Arbroath was fine, but draws against Montrose and East Fife were both awful to watch. With Stranraer and Brechin the next home games, we need to be aiming for maximum points really. 

We are in a better position than I feared with a much better management team than we started the season with, but this is a big quarter for us. 

Grade: F

We no doubt have a decent squad but what we've seen so far has been nothing short of shambolic. No direction, no passion or fight, no clue. Aitken had got to a stage where he couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and I think it was clear the players had lost all trust in him. The main positive of the quarter has been getting rid of him.

I'm still holding out hopes of a playoff spot but it will require a huge turnaround from both the players and the new gaffer. We have to adopt a system and style that suits the players we have and the new guy has to get some confidence back into them because they all look utterly broken at the minute.

Teams who have impressed me with their form over quarter 1 have been Arbroath and East Fife, with the best individual performance award going to Raith.

Overall: Far worse than I'd imagined. Not only did Stevie persevere with the same tactics that lead to us being relegated, he compounded it by chopping and changing things every week, whilst Andy Dowie's form has been absolutely terrifying. A comfortable opening day win at East Fife aside we've been totally unconvincing, with it evident that very few of the players believed in the manager. Hopefully getting a new man in for the next quarter will help turn things around, because I genuinely believe that we would've been relegated if we'd kept Aitken for the year.

Player of the Quarter: Pffft. Bobby Barr has had some cracking games, but he's also had some totally anonymous ones. Ross Forbes is clearly our best player, but has averaged about 60 minutes a week, and Calum Gallagher has a smashing goals-to-minutes ratio - yet couldn't buy a start under Aitken. Cammy Ballantyne has looked really handy when he's played (about once a month) so getting him fit would be a massive help. Counting only regulars though I'm going to go for big Ryan Thomson (also known as Bryan Gibson to my elderly relatives). We've punted him about everywhere, and Stevie's insistence on playing him up top with an injured Kyle Hutton in centre-mid was madness. Doesn't matter where he's played though, he's done a solid job. Brad Spencer probably deserves a mention too. I wasn't expecting much, but he's given us something we've been lacking.

Overall:  Start of the season under Barry Smith was more of the same from last year.  Played ok in spells but lacked hunger and tactics at times to see important games out.  McGlynn and Smith coming back is the best thing that could happen to us both short and long term.  Within 2 weeks they added 2 players to the  starting line up that give us better depth and balance in Crane and Hendry.  Just a shame about goalie situation as we might have been able to get another winger in instead of a back up keeper but we should be used to that by now.  The Dumbarton game was a joy to watch, guys were playing in their natural positions and looked like they knew their jobs.  Arbroath was good in spells but it's clear theirs still some issues to be ironed out but as others have said we have the right management team to get it right.  With all the upheaval to be 4 points off top with a decent goal difference isn't too bad.  Grade B.      

Player of the Quarter:  Some stand out performances from guys like Flanagan and Gillespie.  Vaughan has looked good since returning from injury as well but i'll have to give it to Kevin Nisbet.

Analysis:

I think, all things taken into consideration, it's been a decent opening quarter for Stenhousemuir. We've competed well in most matches (the away defeats to Forfar Athletic and Stranraer notwithstanding) and given the opposition something to think about, even the division's "top sides" in Arbroath and Raith Rovers. Nine points and a seventh-place standing is solid, albeit we're only a point from Montrose at the foot of the table. On paper, we have a good squad of players and, for the first time in a long time, options from the bench who can add a different dimension to our play. It's a likeable team to support, both in terms of playing personnel and management, and Brown Ferguson always comes across well whenever he's interviewed or speaking with supporters. The high point of the last nine games was the 3-2 win over Montrose - it looked as though we'd chucked away the three points when Andy Steeves netted an 89th-minute equaliser but big Mark McGuigan thumped home the winner four minutes into injury time to provoke some absolute scenes.

There are some concerns, however - goals have been hard to come by and the lack of ruthlessness has been our undoing on a couple of occasions. McGuigan will always work hard for the team but he doesn't look like he's going to reprise last season's 23-goal haul. Our defence can look a little ropey and whenever Jesus Garcia Tena is on the back foot there's always a sharp intake of breath. There are times when I'm not sure if Ferguson knows what his best XI is, although he did say at the recent meet-the-manager forum that it changes on a game-by-game basis. Our away form is very poor and we've lost every match on the road - having failed to make an away game this term, I cannot explain why that is, but it's not good enough.

Player of the quarter:

Ruaridh Donaldson has been our best player so far this season and it's great to see him not only handle the step up to League 1 but adapt to a new position, moving from an orthodox left-back to a left-sided centre-back as part of a back three. I was pleasantly surprised he stayed on with us after his good season in League 2 but I've no doubt if he continues to maintain his good form, he good move onto bigger and better things. It's not often you see that at Stenhousemuir - someone will have to correct me but I think David Templeton might be the last first-team player who moved upwards. Heady times!

Grade:

I'm going to give the Warriors a solid C. After winning promotion via the play-offs as an above-average League 2 side, we were always favourites to go straight back down but we've shown we're a competitive side that can play a bit. If we're more clinical in front of goal in future and we can correct our away form, we';; be just fine.

21 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Analysis:

I think, all things taken into consideration, it's been a decent opening quarter for Stenhousemuir. We've competed well in most matches (the away defeats to Forfar Athletic and Stranraer notwithstanding) and given the opposition something to think about, even the division's "top sides" in Arbroath and Raith Rovers. Nine points and a seventh-place standing is solid, albeit we're only a point from Montrose at the foot of the table. On paper, we have a good squad of players and, for the first time in a long time, options from the bench who can add a different dimension to our play. It's a likeable team to support, both in terms of playing personnel and management, and Brown Ferguson always comes across well whenever he's interviewed or speaking with supporters. The high point of the last nine games was the 3-2 win over Montrose - it looked as though we'd chucked away the three points when Andy Steeves netted an 89th-minute equaliser but big Mark McGuigan thumped home the winner four minutes into injury time to provoke some absolute scenes.

There are some concerns, however - goals have been hard to come by and the lack of ruthlessness has been our undoing on a couple of occasions. McGuigan will always work hard for the team but he doesn't look like he's going to reprise last season's 23-goal haul. Our defence can look a little ropey and whenever Jesus Garcia Tena is on the back foot there's always a sharp intake of breath. There are times when I'm not sure if Ferguson knows what his best XI is, although he did say at the recent meet-the-manager forum that it changes on a game-by-game basis. Our away form is very poor and we've lost every match on the road - having failed to make an away game this term, I cannot explain why that is, but it's not good enough.

Player of the quarter:

Ruaridh Donaldson has been our best player so far this season and it's great to see him not only handle the step up to League 1 but adapt to a new position, moving from an orthodox left-back to a left-sided centre-back as part of a back three. I was pleasantly surprised he stayed on with us after his good season in League 2 but I've no doubt if he continues to maintain his good form, he good move onto bigger and better things. It's not often you see that at Stenhousemuir - someone will have to correct me but I think David Templeton might be the last first-team player who moved upwards. Heady times!

Grade:

I'm going to give the Warriors a solid C. After winning promotion via the play-offs as an above-average League 2 side, we were always favourites to go straight back down but we've shown we're a competitive side that can play a bit. If we're more clinical in front of goal in future and we can correct our away form, we';; be just fine.

He didn't move directly from Stenhousemuir in an upwards fashion but Andy Stirling has done not too badly for himself. Does he count?

Since I done a full 1/4 review for L2, I thought it would be rude not to partake for the L1 teams..

Arbroath - a solid start for the Lichties, after keeping the majority of last years squad, while adding some real quality in Thomson and Jamieson (both of whom is have bit hour hand off for) its absolutely no surprise to me to see them head the table ATM, having bet them at 12/1 to win the league. I think this next quarter coming could well define the rest of the season for Arbroath, get through it unscathed and on top, they can be genuine contenders until May, but dwell on the defeat in the cup, and it'll be cementing a playoff spot is the aim. Doris coming back is absolutely massive as well, allowing McKenna, Wallace and Stevie D on the park at the same time.

A+

Raith - I've been underwhelmed by the start Raith have made, everything just seemed to be lacklustre, from moaning about the manager, to guys picking up niggly injuries and nothing ever seemed to be going "great". Then out of nowhere they had an amazing comeback at Airdrie, Barry Smith resigned, OK there was a flat spell under Cuthbert, then Baldy came back and it seemed everything just turned in its head, the full atmosphere within the rovers support changed for the better. Still in 2and and o ly 4 behind is a massive let off and I think the Raith fans have a lot to look forward to under McGlynn now especially after some of the crucial signings he's made straight away.

So far its a "C+"

East Fife - So far its been the turnaround of the season, no wins in 4 and the high point being a point off their close neighbours, there was a few groans and moans about Mr Young the manager and a few folk wanting him away, BUT, since the 0-2 away at Montrose its been a "W" fest for east fife, pumping a couple of championship teams in the process in the cup. Unsurprisingly there's been one or two frequent posters gone missing since Young turned it around, and there's certainly a feel good factor at Bay view just now. I, personally thought they would struggle for goals this year but they've blown that theory out the water with all 4 strikers playing a massive part in the turnaround.

A- (the minus purely for the first 3 games).

Brechin - Brechin were always going to be a strange one coming down after no wins last year, and the longer they went this year without one, even more fan pressure would mount on Dods. They didn't have to wait too long though, only the second game into the campaign, they dispatched of a (then) abject East Fife. Since then there's been a lot of Draws, a couple of wins and a derby defeat to Montrose. The fans obviously want the best for the team but style of play has drawn a lot of criticisms from fans by being "too negative" and "eyebleeding" to quote some. Obviously the playoffs should be the minimum aim this year and so far they're on course for this.

Andy Jackson looks to have found a bit of form as well so that'll be a massive help.

A solid if unspectacular "C"

Stranraer - another team I don't really know what to make of, capable if beating every team in this league, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they went on a 6 game winless run. After the money problems hit hard last year and the ensuing fire sale, I feared the worst for them this season but it seems that the manager is performing well above his station, grinding out results even if performances aren't great. A real mixed bag of results 3 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses but overall, with the teams in the league and the pre season predictions, IMO they're doing pretty well. A decent signing in Brownlie at this level and Grant Anderson's always capable so I'll be giving them:

C+

Airdrieonians: well, where do we start? After the well placed optimism of pre season, doing some solid (if unspectacular) L1 business very early in the summer, a new board who wants the best for the club, things were looking bright for the first time in decades. However it became very clear that the manager was out of his depth. This point was mooted last season, but I do agree that the manager had to have a go with "his own" players and I'm glad an agreement has been reached fairly early to go in a different direction.

This appointment is crucial for Airdrie, as there has to be a manager brought in to match the ambition of the board (and fans). With the standard of the league being as level as it has been for years, there's a massive chance for promotion for probably 4 or 5 clubs. The signing of Victoria has been probably the only positive so far in the league, and the keepers (so far) not really doing much wrong in the grand scheme of things. Room for vast improvement though.

"D"

Stenhousemuir - myself and a few others on the board feared the worst for the Warriors, but they're certainly making a fist of things this year. they appear to be battling well, and as a promoted team, that's all you can really ask in a first season back in the league above. The good thing is Bomber can use his experience of his last time in this division, to hopefully consolidate this year and maybe build on that next year. There is only 2 points between the bottom 5, but if stenny stay in and around those other teams, they'll have every right to think they can stay up, as there is really no outstanding team this year. Paton coming back should be a massive boost, and if they can find a scoring touch, they'll be in with every shout of finishing 6th-8th.

C+

Forfar - Probably the team I've read least about this year, as there's never a lot of interest on their threads. Again, another team that have the capability of throwing a few results together but there just seems a bit of "meh" surrounding them. Baird should have been a stand out in this league and bagging a few goals already, but I don't know what's happening there, and the shouts for him to be dropped are appearing more often. East on should be the main man in that team but it seems like they're not getting the best out him, or playing him out of position, however IMO things might just get worse for Forfar and with no wins in 5, this next game vs Stenny is that bit bigger now.

D

Dumbarton - outside of Arbroath, I really fancied The Sons to crack on this year and be flying in or around top spot, but it just has not worked for them. After seeing some of the signings they made, they have one of, if not the strongest starting 11 when everyone is fit, but there in lies the problem. Injuries have ravaged the squad allowing Stevie Aitken the perfect excuse for abject under performances. A misfiring Loy, an unfit (?) Forbes and an unplayable Gallagher contributed to Aitken getting the bullet, and much like Airdrie, this next appointment has a real chance to turn a season around and make a name for himself. Its a free hit really, as it couldn't get much worse, hit he always has the excuse of "its not my players". From this point on, I'm sure they may settle for safe mid table obscurity with a play off push and maybe have a right crack again next year with the new mans new " tools".

D-

Montrose - I had high hopes for Petrie's men this year after steam rollering the division below last year. Years of heartache absolutely obliterated in one season of joy. As said previously, the standard of league this year is poor, so it would have been as good a season as any to really consolidate and stay up easily, but I was very underwhelmed with the pre season recruitment. Do they even have 2 strikers??? Apologies for any disrespect but I honestly couldn't tell you who they have up front, but that's more to do with recruitment than anything else. A couple wins on the bounce and they could be a lot happier but they're still within striking distance and I expect them to be still in the hunt for 8th after Xmas.

D

14 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

That's the first round of games in. How's everyone doing?

Overall: We've taken 16 points form the first round, which is well on track for a top 4 finish and a haul I think everyone would have taken before the season started. That stat masks the fact that we were rubbish for the first four games and have been brilliant in the last 5. If it had been the other way around, I'm sure it would put a very different slant on it. In the opening four games, we went down to fairly dismal defeats to Dumbarton and Brechin, got dismantled against Arbroath and got a reasonably creditable point away at Raith. The old defensive frailties from last season were back again and although we had flashes of decent play, we were looking pretty toothless. Since then we've won 5 league games, 7 in all comps. Young did change the team about a bit which, in hindsight, was exactly the right think to do. Moving Meggatt and Agnew into the centre of the defence and midfield, respectively, and sticking to two up front being the main things. Since then we've probably playing the most effective football I've seen us play in a long time. There's a huge amount of graft in the team and we're generally playing a pretty effective passing game. The back four and keeper are looking rock solid, the midfield is industrious and creative and we have four in form strikers competing for two places. This run will obviously come to an end at some point and we've got a tough run of fixtures coming up (in our next four we play1st, 2nd, 4th and away to an underachieving Dumbarton side who might have a new manager bounce) but I've seen enough to think this season is the best chance we've had to get into the play-offs since they were introduced. I'm not quite convinced we can make a serious tilt at the title yet. Maybe I'm just being cautious. The next four games should put that to the test. Grade: A

Player of the quarter: Tough one as there's a few who're in with a very good shout but I'll go with Scott Agnew. Makes us tick in the middle of the park. Great range of passing, dangerous putting balls into the box and already scored a few long range efforts.

A very good assessment Gordon the only thing I would disagree with is that apart from Brechin City away when we are absolutely awful, the performances against Dumbarton, Raith & Arbroath were pretty good.

We should have been out of sight before Dumbarton had even kicked a ball, totally outplayed Raith on their own pitch & even the Arbroath fans admitted that they were just more clinical than us on the day. The next four games will set down a real marker for us as we play these same 4 teams again. Will we turn round these defeats I don't know but its going to be fun finding out.

POTQ for me it has to be Ross Davidson! No! Darryl Meggatt! No! Brett Long. Aw feck I don't know!!!

We have done OK - I think we have picked up as many points as our performances have merited. We were fortuitous to take 3 points from Montrose recently but by the same token there were probably three games we lost where we could and should have taken at least a point. Certainly room for improvement, particularly away from home where we have lost all our games without scoring a goal. Nothing to be too concerned about at this stage.

Stranraer:

Inconsistent would seem a very fair description. We've looked good at times and, well, not so good at others. In that respect, to be sitting fifth after nine games will do nicely. Fifteen new signings and another who was out on loan all last season and returned this season to make his senior debut shows there has been a rather sizeable turnover of players. The cup was used to try to find a system and slowly but surely we seem to be settling on something. Inevitably, some players have not really hit the ground running (Ashmore being the most obvious one) but equally some have really impressed (Brownlie, Cummins, McManus). Throw into the mix that Grant Anderson has started the season really and things don't look too bad. In terms of results, there are not many games where we were massively outclassed. We had chances against Arbroath but the right team won. Airdrie deserved their win as well but equally we were probably a little unlucky against Raith, although both goals were a bit of a nightmare from defensive points of view.

Player: Conor McManus has taken plenty of the plaudits but I think David Brownlie deserves a mention. Early doors, he was the odd man out with a back three of Cummins, McDonald and Hamill in favour. However, he has got into the team now and looks a good addition at this level.

City. Overall:  all depends on what the criteria are. Based on expectations set against current position you'd have to say we are about where we would have hoped to be. Came down after a bruising experience last year inevitably a bit low on confidence and suffered a few injuries at the start of the season, struggling to fill the bench in a couple of the cup games. But, confidence appears to be returning, we're not losing many, we've got most of our key men back and we finished the quarter in the play off places after a great away win at airdrie. Jacko has bagged a few goals and Callum hendry looks a decent acquisition on loan too. Against that, we've yet to win a game against our local rivals, and went out of the cups quickly, as per.

If the criteria were attractive performances you'd hear different  views. As commented on above, we continue to set up very defensively and this doesn't make for an easy watch. Think almost all fans would like to see their team play a bit more expansively and ok, we have to be pragmatic sometimes but there are concerns around the ground that people won't keep turning up for another season of stuffiness. I wouldn't go as far as 'eye-bleeding' but we have the first home fixture against an Angus 'rival' in a fortnight; there should be a decent turnout for that one and folk will be expecting a performance. If they don't see one, expect the murmurs to get a lot louder, I think. 

Grade: B-

Player:  C Tapping 

Archived