League 2 - 1/4 Review - Your club

By 16.50 today, all League 2 clubs should have reached the 1st quarter mark in terms of games played. Your thoughts would be appreciated and for what it's worth it has been an interesting start to the league season.

I detest empty Saturday's :( 

A nonsense that there’s no games this weekend or the weekend in September we had. 

In comparison to this point last year, we’ve made massive improvements, with space for more. Can’t complain too much apart from the performance v QP. 

Beyond anything I could have expected, we’ve looked a step above most teams we’ve played so far and the only even minor sour note is that Peterhead and Clyde have racked up really good points totals as well so there’s not much of a cushion when our form inevitably tails off.

Would have bitten your hand off for a playoff spot on day 1 so to be top of the tree whilst playing some tremendous stuff after the first quarter means it can only be an A+ for Edinburgh City.

Edinbugh City fans cock a hoop and why not ? Excellent start to the season and no reason why it wont continue.

As for Clyde, there has  been some outstanding and some dire; but overall pretty good start and if we can find more consistency we should be there or thereabouts by the end of the season

As an avid L2 follower and reader of most threads, I'll give my 2 shillings worth.

Edinburgh City - Top of the pile for a good reason, they're playing like champions. Style, flair, racking up goals, and grinding out 1-0's when they need it.
I've bet them about 6 times and they've never let me down yet. I said at the time the signing of Balatoni was a real coup for them and remember reading on the Clyde thread they were glad they dodged a bullet and glad THEY didn't sign him. More fool them. Keep it up EC and hopefully get all your play deserves come May.
A+

Peterhead - Unsurprisingly in the top 2 and still only 2 points off the top, nothing more needs said about a certain prolific striker and the signing of Dow looks a great bit of business. One of the players I enjoyed watching most, Jamie Stevenson, has been a been a decent servant to the Blue Toon and they'll be hoping they'll be happy to stay within 2 points of Edinburgh until 17/11 when they visit Ainslie P and can make they're move.
A- so far.

Clyde - compared purely to the last few years, its been a dream start for Clyde, but there's still some fans not happy. Still only 6 points of the pace setters, they're definitely not out of the race yet and a playoff should have been the main aim this year, which they are on course for. DGW started well enough but has been a bit quiet of late, if he kicks on they can stay in touch and make it an exciting enough title race.
A solid B+

Annan - always there or there about lurking in the playoffs annan or elgin can easily be interchanged. Annan look to have a solid enough away record, and if they can start winning most of their home games, there's no reason why they couldn't make the playoffs, a title challenge is probably not on the cards though, again.
B-

Elgin - I view Elgin and Annan on very similar terms, they're always solid enough mid table teams with very mixed results throughout each season, flirting with the playoffs but solid enough to stay clear of the bottom of the pile. The big Sutherland saga wouldn't have helped elfin, bit he certainly seemed to get the finger out yesterday and him being arsed could be the key to Elgin making the top 4.
C+

Queens Park - After a full rebuilding job, its just recently seems like QP are getting settled now. Pre-Season I'd bet them "to be promoted" this year so still hope they make the play offs. Mark Roberts brings a wealth of experience with him from his.playing days and managing Ayr so should be a reasonable enough appointment in L2 and hopefully sorts out the attacking game at Hampden.
C-

Cowden - some of their fans feel they're underachieving, some are satisfied (so far) to be away from the bottom (again!) And its been a mixed bag so far. McGurn has undoubtedly been the star man, and I thought the signings of Talbot and Sheerin would be pivotal for them but Jason's been out recently. With the other teams in the league I never thought they'd trouble the top 4, but would be safe enough due to Berwick and Albion Rovers being utter cactus, so IMO, they're round about where they should be.
C-

Stirling - this seasons (so far) underachievers. While some of they're fans saw it coming from last year, they still finished in the playoffs, and with a lot of the same squad, they appear to have been mismanaged to a horrible position. This managerial appointment coming is a huge, huge decision. I'm fairly confident that with the right man, with the right tools, they'll be safe this year, but unfortunately the playoffs (promotion) will be just out of reach.
Must do better.
D-

Berwick - Another vacancy at Berwick makes it look to the outsider that there's something been very wrong at Shielfield, with constant comings and goings behind the scenes. Having signed a lot of players from LOWER lower leagues I can't really say I'm surprised, and I'm sure I commented preseason and may have hastily used the word "dugmeat" regarding some signings. It was maybe a bit disrespectful but its not really proving wrong. You've got to say, with the other jobs available in Scotland just now, surely the Berwick job is the most undesirable, and I include Kelty in that as well.
This seasons aim is surely just to pull away from Albion Rovers, but it seems like a horrible rest of the season in store.
D-

Albion - I can't really say I'm surprised to see the Rovers at the bottom of the pile given their recruitment policy, manager included. I was glad to see them get their first win, and hope they stay in touch with the pack, bit I definitely think it'll be Berwick and Albion getting left behind, they just need to hope they get a couple of results from somewhere to make it uncomfy for Berwick, but they are still within 1 win away, so not all lost yet.
D

As an avid L2 follower and reader of most threads, I'll give my 2 shillings worth.

Edinburgh City - Top of the pile for a good reason, they're playing like champions. Style, flair, racking up goals, and grinding out 1-0's when they need it.
I've bet them about 6 times and they've never let me down yet. I said at the time the signing of Balatoni was a real coup for them and remember reading on the Clyde thread they were glad they dodged a bullet and glad THEY didn't sign him. More fool them. Keep it up EC and hopefully get all your play deserves come May.
A+

Peterhead - Unsurprisingly in the top 2 and still only 2 points off the top, nothing more needs said about a certain prolific striker and the signing of Dow looks a great bit of business. One of the players I enjoyed watching most, Jamie Stevenson, has been a been a decent servant to the Blue Toon and they'll be hoping they'll be happy to stay within 2 points of Edinburgh until 17/11 when they visit Ainslie P and can make they're move.
A- so far.

Clyde - compared purely to the last few years, its been a dream start for Clyde, but there's still some fans not happy. Still only 6 points of the pace setters, they're definitely not out of the race yet and a playoff should have been the main aim this year, which they are on course for. DGW started well enough but has been a bit quiet of late, if he kicks on they can stay in touch and make it an exciting enough title race.
A solid B+

Annan - always there or there about lurking in the playoffs annan or elgin can easily be interchanged. Annan look to have a solid enough away record, and if they can start winning most of their home games, there's no reason why they couldn't make the playoffs, a title challenge is probably not on the cards though, again.
B-

Elgin - I view Elgin and Annan on very similar terms, they're always solid enough mid table teams with very mixed results throughout each season, flirting with the playoffs but solid enough to stay clear of the bottom of the pile. The big Sutherland saga wouldn't have helped elfin, bit he certainly seemed to get the finger out yesterday and him being arsed could be the key to Elgin making the top 4.
C+

Queens Park - After a full rebuilding job, its just recently seems like QP are getting settled now. Pre-Season I'd bet them "to be promoted" this year so still hope they make the play offs. Mark Roberts brings a wealth of experience with him from his.playing days and managing Ayr so should be a reasonable enough appointment in L2 and hopefully sorts out the attacking game at Hampden.
C-

Cowden - some of their fans feel they're underachieving, some are satisfied (so far) to be away from the bottom (again!) And its been a mixed bag so far. McGurn has undoubtedly been the star man, and I thought the signings of Talbot and Sheerin would be pivotal for them but Jason's been out recently. With the other teams in the league I never thought they'd trouble the top 4, but would be safe enough due to Berwick and Albion Rovers being utter cactus, so IMO, they're round about where they should be.
C-

Stirling - this seasons (so far) underachievers. While some of they're fans saw it coming from last year, they still finished in the playoffs, and with a lot of the same squad, they appear to have been mismanaged to a horrible position. This managerial appointment coming is a huge, huge decision. I'm fairly confident that with the right man, with the right tools, they'll be safe this year, but unfortunately the playoffs (promotion) will be just out of reach.
Must do better.
D-

Berwick - Another vacancy at Berwick makes it look to the outsider that there's something been very wrong at Shielfield, with constant comings and goings behind the scenes. Having signed a lot of players from LOWER lower leagues I can't really say I'm surprised, and I'm sure I commented preseason and may have hastily used the word "dugmeat" regarding some signings. It was maybe a bit disrespectful but its not really proving wrong. You've got to say, with the other jobs available in Scotland just now, surely the Berwick job is the most undesirable, and I include Kelty in that as well.
This seasons aim is surely just to pull away from Albion Rovers, but it seems like a horrible rest of the season in store.
D-

Albion - I can't really say I'm surprised to see the Rovers at the bottom of the pile given their recruitment policy, manager included. I was glad to see them get their first win, and hope they stay in touch with the pack, bit I definitely think it'll be Berwick and Albion getting left behind, they just need to hope they get a couple of results from somewhere to make it uncomfy for Berwick, but they are still within 1 win away, so not all lost yet.
D

Pretty much sums it up from a Stirling perspective.

Not often you see a level-headed, accurate and unbiased assessment on here mate, good effort!
Muchos gracias.

I like to keep up with most L1 and L2 goings on, despite the "obsessed with (insert team name here)" comments I usually attract with sometimes negative, but not misplaced comments on some teams threads.

Taken from championship thread

Best Player at your club

Worst Player at your club

Manager(s) at your club Rating

Best Signing at your club

Worst Signing at your club

Most Improved Player at your club

Who's winning the League?

Who's making the play offs?

Who's finishing bottom?

Best player in the league?

Highlight so far of the season...

Lowlight...

Any other comments...

On 24/10/2018 at 11:27, TheBigGuy said:

Best Player at your club: They're all magic. Ta. 

Worst Player at your club: Ryan Bell, Sunday Amateurs. (hope he's reading this, heh heh)

Manager(s) at your club Rating: 9/10. 

Best Signing at your club:  Conrad Balatoni looks fairly assured at the back so we'll give it to him. Also a free scoring Blair Henderson. 

Worst Signing at your club:  No-one really. 

Most Improved Player at your club: Antell's doing well this season  

Who's winning the League? Clyde of course. Just like every season. 

Who's making the play offs? Peterheid. City maybe. 

Who's finishing bottom? Toss up between Berwick and Albion Rovers. 

Best player in the league? Based purely on his performance against City recently big McGurk of the Blue Brazil 

Highlight so far of the season... Winning at Hampden was quite nice. As was stuffing the Lichties on Gaelic telly. Ochone! Ochone! 

Lowlight... some of the seething lowlife you meet in this League compared to the gentlemen and players of the Lowland League... 

Any other comments... 1. Stuff Edinburgh Council and their architect who is a couple of lego bricks short of a house..  2. Somebody win the EuroMillions and build us a nice ground. Preferably next to a yuppie housing estate for the SEETHE. 3. Hiya SRU, Hiya Pals. Egg chasing is a fine sport, honest.. 

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:27, TheBigGuy said:

Best Player at your club

Worst Player at your club

Manager(s) at your club Rating

Best Signing at your club

Worst Signing at your club

Most Improved Player at your club

Who's winning the League?

Who's making the play offs?

Who's finishing bottom?

Best player in the league?

Highlight so far of the season...

Lowlight...

Any other comments...

Best Player at your club - May have only played for 20 minutes or so this season so far, but Darren Smith is still our best player. We just hope he can hit the ground running when he gets back and can recapture some of last seasons form.

Worst Player at your club - I'm honestly not sure, loads of players playing poorly but no one that I would say looked totally inept. If I was pushed then I'll probably go with Willie Robertson, the whole retiring and coming back fiasco only to retire again and slag the club off on Twitter (allegedly, didn't see it) was all a little bit embarrassing and something of a smoke screen to some really poor performances this season.

Manager(s) at your club Rating - Can't comment on  KR at the moment, however the fact that Davie Mackay was sacked speaks volumes to how he did.

Best Signing at your club - Danny Jardine, he was on loan with us at the end of last season and signed in the summer. He's been wasted sitting slightly deeper in Midfield but still looks to be the only player that looks like creating anything.

Worst Signing at your club - Christ, who do you pick for this one? They have all been poor but Jardine, Allan and Ferrie………….ok, Mark Stewart. The guy has come from a good level and played for some good clubs but looks totally anonymous for us. Not sure if he is just poor or out of form, but because so much was expected of him, and at a guess he'll be one of our highest paid players then he'd be my choice, however you could give it to a few others instead.

Most Improved Player at your club - No one has improved so far, they have pretty much gone backwards which is why we sit where we do after reaching the Play Offs last year.

Who's winning the League? Peterhead

Who's making the play offs? Clyde, Edinburgh & Us :shutup

Who's finishing bottom? Albion Rovers or Berwick...…...I'll say Albion

Best player in the league? David Goodwillie no question about it.

Highlight so far of the season... Winning the 50/50 Half Time draw

Lowlight... From the start until now......ok, seriously, losing to Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill, we were dreadful that day and it was on the cards as that defeat had been coming.

Any other comments... We've still got time to make the Play Offs and with players like Darren Smith & Darren Barr to come back from injury, a new Striker signed who has a decent record higher up and a new manager, hopefully KR has enough time to pull the squad together to put some light back into this very bleak season.

Best Player at your club; David Goodwillie obviously is the best at Clyde. He's not our player of the season though, that's Barry Cuddihy.

Worst Player at your club; I didn't see anything in pre-season to suggest that Joe Gorman will ever play regularly for Clyde. Eddie Ferns as well, but he's left.

Manager(s) at your club Rating; We've had a good start to the season but the fixture list throwing up Peterhead/Edinburgh back to back, with us already behind, is problematic. We really should be challenging for the full season and we could be miles off the pace in November. Very much positive but last week's team selection, and the atrocious match against Edinburgh without Goodwillie, are slightly worrying. I'd also say he was a bit unlucky to have sourced a good striker, and then have him leave without playing a game; it's hard to pick up players like that later on in the summer.

Best Signing at your club; Kristoffer Syvertsen. In all truth, our summer signings have been very poor (Rankin, Rumsby, Hughes, Gorman, Hopkirk, Belmokhtar, Lyon, Ferns); apart from maybe AKB, none of them have really added anything. Hopkirk could have taken us to another level but obviously that didn't work out. I did think that Lyon played well last week though, so hopefully he'll continue in that vein.

Worst Signing at your club; I'm not going to say Rankin as I don't think he's been that bad, he's just not required with us having Grant/Nicoll. Ferns was a disaster, and as I said earlier the Hopkirk situation left us short.

Most Improved Player at your club; Impossible to say over a couple of months, but over a longer period of time Martin McNiff has improved to the stage where his shocker last week against Cowdenbeath was a genuine surprise.

Who's winning the League? Probably Peterhead. Edinburgh to slip up with a couple of injuries I reckon.

Who's making the play offs? Edinburgh, Clyde, Elgin.

Who's finishing bottom? Albion Rovers.

Best player in the league? Goodwillie, but I'd also say he's not had the best season so far.. Jamie Stevenson, Shane Sutherland, Conrad Balatoni all just behind.

Highlight so far of the season... Last minute goal against Berwick to turn a 2-0 deficit into a win.

Lowlight... I'd actually say not getting a second goal against Motherwell. Could easily have beaten a top division team, live on TV. The Hamilton Irn Bru cup tie was embarrassing.

Any other comments...God bless the Clyde.

Archived