BBC: Hey Scotland, vote for your favourite humiliating defeat!

Guest SPLOOGESTAIN

Guest SPLOOGESTAIN
56 minutes ago, nsr said:

Any Englishman who tells you he doesn't care about Scotland is a weak-chinned liar. They take far too much delight in our failure for that.

It's cos we say mean things when they say they're gonna win the World Cup tho innit

Even allowing for the period being limited to 1998 onward that looks like it was thrown together in 5 min by the office intern. Although they were bad losses, both Wales games, Hungary and USA were friendlies (indeed USA was played in the middle of the night post-season and generated surprisingly little comment at the time).

No mention is made of twice drawing in the Faroe Islands, drawing in Estonia, the playoff 2nd leg thrashing in the Netherlands, several bad results v Lithuania, or twice suffering campaign-destroying defeats in Georgia, and those are just what immediately jump to mind since the Millennium.

Personally I felt in advance that people were under-estimating Israel. It doesn't rank above either Faroes draw or either Georgian defeat for me - more so given circumstances.

57 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

USA absolutely. 

It was a friendly with a relatively experimental side, against a very good USA, on a warm night in Florida. The USA had just won away in Italy and were gearing up for their World Cup qualifiers while we were on a stupid end of season tour. I don't think this even features on the list of worst Scottish performances. We lost by the same margin in a competitive match to a pish Norway, and we were much worse in the 4-0 in Cardiff,  with that game being my personal all-time favourite for abject incompetence.

The 2-2 away to the Faroes for me. We were absolutely embarrassing and lucky to escape with a draw. For unmitigated seethe, the defeat in Georgia under Eck the first time round was a complete and utter bottle job, and the meekly pathetic surrender in that 4-6-0 debacle were all far more annoying than a bad result I half-expected away to Israel. 

Easily Georgia in 2007 for me.

We'd shown we were a good team and had some brilliant results and performances but that was a pathetic cowardly display that cost us a right good shot at qualification. An absolutely horrendous capitulation to a pretty pish Georgia team who finished below Lithuania and 14 points behind us. 

Disgusting shitebaggery. Unforgivable. We threw it all away. They had to play a couple of 17 year olds that day (a keeper and a striker, and of course the striker scored) as well as  16 year old in central midfield. 

3 hours ago, SPLOOGESTAIN said:

It's cos we say mean things when they say they're gonna win the World Cup tho innit

I'm quite happy for both sides to have a bit of banter with each other. The only thing that I don't understand is their constant lying that they don't care about us.

Guest SPLOOGESTAIN
3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Even allowing for the period being limited to 1998 onward that looks like it was thrown together in 5 min by the office intern.

4 hours ago, SPLOOGESTAIN said:

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Even allowing for the period being limited to 1998 onward that looks like it was thrown together in 5 min by the office intern. Although they were bad losses, both Wales games, Hungary and USA were friendlies (indeed USA was played in the middle of the night post-season and generated surprisingly little comment at the time).

No mention is made of twice drawing in the Faroe Islands, drawing in Estonia, the playoff 2nd leg thrashing in the Netherlands, several bad results v Lithuania, or twice suffering campaign-destroying defeats in Georgia, and those are just what immediately jump to mind since the Millennium.

Personally I felt in advance that people were under-estimating Israel. It doesn't rank above either Faroes draw or either Georgian defeat for me - more so given circumstances.

Yes, it's a terrible list put together by some young buffoon trawling through a sequence of results.  The fact that it's compiled from only the recent past, alongside the fact that it consists only of defeats, makes it pretty worthless in terms of evaluating where the Israel game stands in the pantheon of Scottish squirming.

I'd actually throw a victory on to the pile of calamitous displays: that being the one achieved over Lichtenstein at Hampden, under Levein.

I was at that 4-0 friendly defeat in Cardiff. I also went to Holland in the play-off second leg when we were 1-0 up. We actually went there thinking we had a great chance, and speaking to Dutch fans before the game they felt Scotland would go through as Holland were playing so badly around that time. (According to them).

Both abject displays of absolute incompetence, but still think the 2-2 draw in Faroes at the time it happened was right up there.

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Israel is comfortably the worst performance in my time watching. A well deserved second would be the game against Luxembourg under Billy Stark.

Wait. An away friendly that we won after dominating the whole game? Albeit it was only 2-1. 

Its not because there was an ICT player in the side you’re mentioning this, Shirley?

You’re better than that Aiden. There’s about 25 worse Scotland performances before that even comes into anyone’s thoughts.

Archived