Driving Annoyances

Ned Nederlander

1) Indicators:

I don't think about indicating, it's in my  block memory,  in the dead of night when there's noone one around I'll still indicate (I've had folk say that shows an unawareness of the road conditions but I've often been waiting to cross the road only for a car to turn up a side road without indicating whilst apparently fully 'aware' of the conditions!) And yet every fucking day I sit at busy roundabouts whilst folk happily and blissfully turn without so much as a slight fuckin' flash of their indicators and leave me sitting there like a fuckin' numpty!

Does it not happen to them? Do they not find themselves inconvenienced by a fannies? I'm sure it does ... and yet they don't take the hint and indicate themselves. c***s.

2) Fog Lights.

The highway code states that it has to be absolutely pee-soupers for you to use your fog lights and yet at the slightest hint of mist hunners of drivers illuminte the road behind them with an optic burning red light that actually impares folk behinds view of the road. And then when the slight mist clears they continue to drive around for fucking days blinding the f'ck out of folk behind them apparently unaware that pressing the fog light button a second time puts the light off. c***s.

3) Letting Folk Out.

WTF is that about? The often completely baffling habit of stopping flowing traffic to flash and let someone out at a junction when not doing so would have been the better option - usually this means holding up a bunch of folk whilst the flashed driver evaluates the situation and realises that he can suddenly go about 5 seconds earlier than he'd anticipated. c***s.

4) Help ... It's A Zebra Crossing!!

It's generally fairly easy to understand a zebra crossing, if there's someone waiting to cross then stop and let them cross - but folk slow down miles ahead, some almost to a fucking standstill because there's someone walking fairly near a zebra crossing - it's actually extremely common to have someone stop only for the pedestrian to bimble on without crossing. c***s.

5) High Beam.

I hardly ever use my high beam, it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference - maybe on a country road or motorway in the dead of night then yes and, of course, when I anticipate that someone's approaching from the other direction I dip them - easy!? Well apparently not! For many an evening drive through town is prime time for the high beam ... and f'ck all this dipping them malarkey- just drive on like a mobile fucking lighthouse dazzling the shit out of people. c***s.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where two lanes merge into one, or two into three, and people go zooming up outside right to the point where it merges and expect you to let them in.

If you're in a traffic jam then fair enough, but I'm not taking evasive action just because you can't read road signs.

And people who can't drive in the snow, who fall into two categories in my experience.

1) People who drive at about 5mph, thus increasing the risk of getting stuck. It's not about how fast you go (within reason), it's about not braking or swerving suddenly.

2) People who take action that will cause you to brake. When we had that 'Beast from the East' or whatever it was, someone pulled out right in front of me at a junction. Thankfully didn't hit them, but could have caused a major pile-up.

I passed my test just over a week ago, and the amount of simple errors and failures to understand simple concepts, procedures and rules of the road that I see in drivers who have been qualified a lot longer than me is laughable.

I actually think people should resit their driving test every few years to make sure that they are capable of driving without presenting a danger to other road users.

Where two lanes merge into one, or two into three, and people go zooming up outside right to the point where it merges and expect you to let them in.
If you're in a traffic jam then fair enough, but I'm not taking evasive action just because you can't read road signs.

I'm sure they're oblivious to the fact, but they're actually right to do that:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/zip-merging/

As much as I agree with your general sentiment...

My biggest driving bugbear is when drivers overtake a bike in the dark uphill in a 30 zone in Kirkcaldy, probably with misted up or frosted windows, and hit a cyclist coming the other way hard enough to send them right over the top of the car, killing them.

And then not even getting a custodial sentence.

Good luck finding a jury who'll convict on a dangerous driving charge, they're all drivers too and they don't want sent to jail for mashing cyclists either.

5 hours ago, Edmond Dantès said:

I passed my test just over a week ago, and the amount of simple errors and failures to understand simple concepts, procedures and rules of the road that I see in drivers who have been qualified a lot longer than me is laughable.

I actually think people should resit their driving test every few years to make sure that they are capable of driving without presenting a danger to other road users.

This is a good shout tbf. 

Other than Audi drivers, my five are:

1. Folk who brake for no other reason than that another car is approaching from the other direction on the other carriageway. 

2. Arseholes at petrol stations, who having filled up, taken an age to pay then decide to take an absolute eternity to get back into the car and drive off. This seems the exclusive preserve of middle-aged women. For some reason they seem to think that occupying a petrol pump with folk waiting is the perfect fucking time to re-arrange their fucking handbags before finally driving off. c***s. 

3. Convertible owners who will drive about with the top down even if it's raining and fucking baltic. Yes, we're all impressed you own a Mazda MX5, now f**k off. 

4. Old c***s who potter about town at 10-15mph are infuriating. Especially when they turn v-e-r-y slowly into a junction. Worst offenders all seem to drive either a Renault Modus, Nissan Note or a fucking Micra. 

5. Actually I can't not mention Audi drivers. They really are a collection of absolute c***s. I've genuinely lost count of the number of god-awful pieces of driving i've seen executed by bald, middle-aged wankers in Audis, usually either tail-gating or attempting ridiculous overtakes. 

The normal people who become rage filled bell ends the very instant they get behind a wheel.
Special mention to the many drivers in Scotland who are so bad they turn into a seething, slabbering, gammon faced mess over trivial matters like another driver trying to cut in.

2 hours ago, morrison said:

Don't understand the logic of this. If you have a steady flow of traffic on a single lane ahead of you, how does it speed up the flow of traffic if you cut in at the last moment?

56 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I think people learn these things just to pass their driving test and then think that the rules of the road and correct manoeuvres no longer apply once you actually have your license.

Having to resit your test every couple of years would:

A) serve to reinforce the fact that you should always drive in a competent and safe manner

and

B) weed out the absolute cretins.

I know such an idea would probably be unpopular if it was put into action, but it would be very beneficial.

1) Tailgating. 

2) Tailgating

3) Tailgating

4) Tailgating

5) Tailgating

I slow down by 10/20 km's an hour when I have a tailgater now. Tailgating is an utterly stupid and selfish thing to do. What I also do at times is left foot brake just so my brake lights flash up without me slowing down. It usually gives them a fright and they back off a bit. When that does not work I'll start to slow down.

8 hours ago, scotfree said:

1) Tailgating. 

2) Tailgating

3) Tailgating

4) Tailgating

5) Tailgating

I slow down by 10/20 km's an hour when I have a tailgater now. Tailgating is an utterly stupid and selfish thing to do. What I also do at times is left foot brake just so my brake lights flash up without me slowing down. It usually gives them a fright and they back off a bit. When that does not work I'll start to slow down.

It's petty but I enjoy giving my windscreen a good old long scoosh of screen wash whenever I've got a tailgater ... watching their wee wipers go gives me a great deal of satisfaction.

Tailgating. No. 1 easily.

People that park facing the traffic because they’re too lazy to walk a few yards to a shop. Causes nightmares trying to get back out, and even worse at night as their dipped lights are cutting across the traffic.

People that can’t use their handbrake at traffic lights for a couple of minutes, but would rather dazzle you with their high-intensity brake lights.

c***s using their phones, either white van men talking or fucking women texting.

And fucking women who dawdle along  yapping with their passenger and don’t even see you passing them.

And even more fucking women who dawdle along in the overtaking lane.

The fact is, passing a test is only the bare minimum, but many people don’t go on to develop any more skills.

14 hours ago, morrison said:

Just so happens I’m reading a book just now by Tom Vanderbilt. Got it on a kindle deal a couple of weeks back for 99p but I see it’s back to £6.99 now. The first chapter is actually “why I became a late merger (and why you should too...)”

Traffic

1) Tailgating. 
2) Tailgating
3) Tailgating
4) Tailgating
5) Tailgating
This can be great fun. A few years ago I was driving back from Kenmore to the a9 and had some daft bint in a white Range Rover started tailgating me, which continued pretty much all the way to Logierait. I slowed down considerably on sections she couldn't overtake on, and floored it just enough on the straights to make an overtake a bit of a gamble. Tremendous.

12 hours ago, scotfree said:

1) Tailgating. 

2) Tailgating

3) Tailgating

4) Tailgating

5) Tailgating

They've changed the advice on what to do if someone's tailgating you. Used to be to slow down to compensate for the nearly zero braking distance behind you. Now they're saying you should carry on at the same speed until you find somewhere safe to pull over and let them pass, in case you make them angry. PC gone mad imo.

On 10/12/2018 at 23:23, welshbairn said:

Don't understand the logic of this. If you have a steady flow of traffic on a single lane ahead of you, how does it speed up the flow of traffic if you cut in at the last moment?

It can be proven by mathematics, honestly. Queuing theory (the branch of mathematics in question) is a part of Operational Research and I think it is related to this problem. See: https://www.jstor.org/stable/168171?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Guest Moomintroll
Other than Audi drivers, my five are:
1. Folk who brake for no other reason than that another car is approaching from the other direction on the other carriageway. 
2. Arseholes at petrol stations, who having filled up, taken an age to pay then decide to take an absolute eternity to get back into the car and drive off. This seems the exclusive preserve of middle-aged women. For some reason they seem to think that occupying a petrol pump with folk waiting is the perfect fucking time to re-arrange their fucking handbags before finally driving off. c***s. 
3. Convertible owners who will drive about with the top down even if it's raining and fucking baltic. Yes, we're all impressed you own a Mazda MX5, now f**k off. 
4. Old c***s who potter about town at 10-15mph are infuriating. Especially when they turn v-e-r-y slowly into a junction. Worst offenders all seem to drive either a Renault Modus, Nissan Note or a fucking Micra. 
5. Actually I can't not mention Audi drivers. They really are a collection of absolute c***s. I've genuinely lost count of the number of god-awful pieces of driving i've seen executed by bald, middle-aged wankers in Audis, usually either tail-gating or attempting ridiculous overtakes. 
Are you me?

Archived