Time for Eck to go already!

Caley Shaun

Come on get real. He's exactly the same kind of manager as we have had previously with Scotland with Levein and Burley etc. 
Go foreign then? There's no way the suits will appoint a young manager. Bring back Willie Ormond or big Jock, they could pick the team/discuss tactics via a ouija board, with Derek Acorah as assistant manager.

It's the way forward IMO.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RobbieD said:

Why not him? Time to think outside of the box.

Football seems to be the one business where promoting from within your own set up is frowned upon by outsiders.  In most businesses and most other sports, promoting from within your own system is the norm.

Not saying he’s the right man mind you but it’s at least a discussion. And let’s be real, he can’t be worse than McLeish.

Gemmill? He would be gash, that's why. 

McKay I don't need to explain. That scum shouldn't be anywhere near the Scotland set up.

And yes, it can get worse than McLeish.

Agree about McLeish he looks and sounds in terrible nick. Who could have interviewed him and thought he was the right man for any sort of job? Looks like he needs an intervention and to be kept well away from public scrutiny or any sort of responsibility.

Shame on the SFA for appointing him.

I'm afraid I don't really see where this Gemill love-in is coming from. He got job swapped with Sbragia a couple of years ago as neither was doing that well. He now manages the U21 & U20s. It is certainly the case that the U20s have done well at Toulon - in a tournament setting - but the U21s have left very much to be desired.

Granted we have beaten Netherlands home-n-away but he's also lead us to home-n-away defeats v FYR Macedonia, defeat in Iceland, home-n-away defeats v Ukraine (one a thrashing), home draw v Latvia and away draw v Andorra... Not inspiring?

I'm assuming when people are referring to "McKay" it's Malcy Mackay they're referring ?

Apart from that, I'd agree that we need someone who can coach and motivate the team and that man is certainly not McLeish.

As I mentioned on a previous thread last week, we only had one recognised striker in the pool once Griifiths pulled out and that guy didn't even make the starting lineup. What's that all about ??

We were playing a team ranked 94th in the rankings, with an absolutely dismal recent record, virtually no home support and confidence at rock bottom but yet we play one of the most negative lineups that I've ever seen in my time (and I include the Levein in Prague team in that). The players looked completely lost with tactics and their roles and the management looked completely clueless as how to change anything.

I'm sorry, but he has to go now before it's really too late..............

35 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Gemmill? He would be gash, that's why. 

McKay I don't need to explain. That scum shouldn't be anywhere near the Scotland set up.

And yes, it can get worse than McLeish.

Mackay - can’t see how that’s any better.

Gemmill - maybe, maybe not. 

The point is promoting from within never happens and it’s exclusive to football.  I find that very flawed as a working system.

40 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Agree about McLeish he looks and sounds in terrible nick. Who could have interviewed him and thought he was the right man for any sort of job? Looks like he needs an intervention and to be kept well away from public scrutiny or any sort of responsibility.

Shame on the SFA for appointing him.

That's what happens when the guy who was head of the committee also arranged Mcleish's testimonial year for Aberdeen.

2 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:

I'm wondering if heading all those old school footballs have had an effect? Sad if so but he was an absolute panic appointment and seems strangely apathetic about things.

Tommy Wright for Scotland! emoji5.png

This occurred to me too but then the football's in the 80s were still a lot lighter than the ones they were heading in the 40s-60s. Billy McNeill must have headed tens of thousands of them and it's only in his latter years that dementia has taken over (still desperately sad, of course). But then everybody's different and it's possible McLeish could be in the early stages of dementia.  

9 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Quite mad really, all this speculation that McLeish has a drink problem, or has the early onset of dementia, and he's in charge of the fucking national team. 

Does anyone really know what's up with him? It does seem like one of the two you mentioned though.

Since he came in, he seems to have adopted a policy that there's a select group of players who played under Strachan, and their time's up.  That's fair enough if what he's bringing in is better, no worse.

In the summer he tries out a load of new names - similar to Vogts - see what they can do.  Again fair enough, but anyone with eyes could see a number of them weren't up to it.  What exactly is his remit, is it to get us qualifying for the next tournament by any means necessary, or is it to develop a team longer term?  If it's the latter, play the U21's with a bit of experience alongside, take a few results on the chin for the longer term benefit.  If it's the former - which I assume it is - he has to pick the best players available.

First of all the Tierney / Robertson act on the left doesn't work.  His best defence is 2 Tierney - 4 Mulgrew / Soutar - 5 McKenna - 3 Robertson.  For the first time in a while we actually have some decent options there with a bit more pace.  But as for the midfield, it's a shambles.

Last night several looked out of position, looked like they had severe ability issues, constantly gave the ball away and there was a total lack of drive or creativity.  Of the options in the pool, Forrest could be a player if he finally ever learns to play with his head up, Armstrong is a guy with a long history of the big games just passing him by and I've no idea what McGregor's supposed to be doing.  And as for McDonald.......

OK, so Snodgrass, McArthur & Griffiths weren't available, but you've got Bryson bossing Man U at their place a couple weeks ago, Bannon is pulling the strings at Sheff Wed, Anya is still one of the few players who can actually beat a man, he could call on Fletcher for the short term to help out and he should be getting Shinnie in for McDonald every day of the week.  No doubt you fellas can think of others, but what's for sure, that defence and any of these guys in beside McGinn don't lose that game last night

And as for the strikers, Martin's no world beater but at least he's scored for us.  Apart from Naismith, what's the rest of them done?

If Eck doen't have a major re-think right now about what he's doing, then yeah, he needs to go.  That's a lot of woeful performances so far and he keeps picking the same players delivering them 

As far as I'm aware, we're still seen as a pretty decent gig financially for a national team managerial post, as such I find it extremely bizarre that McLeish was seen as the best candidate for the role.

The bottom line is that the team, whether up to it or not, appear disinterested and tactically lost, that in itself should be more than enough to immediately look for a change.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I'm assuming when people are referring to "McKay" it's Malcy Mackay they're referring ?

Apart from that, I'd agree that we need someone who can coach and motivate the team and that man is certainly not McLeish.

As I mentioned on a previous thread last week, we only had one recognised striker in the pool once Griifiths pulled out and that guy didn't even make the starting lineup. What's that all about ??

We were playing a team ranked 94th in the rankings, with an absolutely dismal recent record, virtually no home support and confidence at rock bottom but yet we play one of the most negative lineups that I've ever seen in my time (and I include the Levein in Prague team in that). The players looked completely lost with tactics and their roles and the management looked completely clueless as how to change anything.

I'm sorry, but he has to go now before it's really too late..............

McLeish should never have been appointed. Sacked in

previous club jobs told a story, and when it was obvious

he wasn't going to get a sniff at the Rangers vacancy

again, he more or less begged for the national shift

when the SFA cocked-up the task of appointing a

better candidate. I would like to know exactly what

qualities Grant and McFadden bring to the backroom

staff/on the training park/and match days. Players

seeking advice from the sidelines - mostly about the

system the manager in employing - is a disgrace.

5 minutes ago, coach said:

McLeish should never have been appointed. Sacked in

previous club jobs told a story, and when it was obvious

he wasn't going to get a sniff at the Rangers vacancy

again, he more or less begged for the national shift

when the SFA cocked-up the task of appointing a

better candidate. I would like to know exactly what

qualities Grant and McFadden bring to the backroom

staff/on the training park/and match days. Players

seeking advice from the sidelines - mostly about the

system the manager in employing - is a disgrace.

I keep reading this like it should have a tune.

3 minutes ago, coach said:

I would like to know exactly what qualities

Grant and McFadden bring to the backroom staff/on the training park/and match

days. Players seeking advice from the sidelines - mostly about the system the manager

in employing - is a disgrace.

Yes, there's obviously serious problems there.

There is no togetherness with the team and the amount of call offs and mystery "injuries" tells you that there's a massive rift between various parties within the dressing room. 

I also can't recall anyone making or even attempting to make a tackle in the whole 2nd half last night and that's just unforgivable as far as I'm concerned.

"It's doom and gloom, we lost, we know the consequence of losing, you have to suffer a wee bit for it," McLeish said.

"We're obviously going to get a bit of stick about this and it's up to us to bounce back. That's what normally I would expect from Scottish people."

We've lost five out of seven games, "bouncing back" gets a bit difficult after a while. 

McLeish looks like a job for the boys selection , put him out his misery now please as that last night was like watching a pub team 

solution Michael Stewart as he seems to know everything about everything there is to know about football and was absolutely an amazing player (joke)

seriously though I’d give Mcinnes the gig although our managers just left Kelty Hearts so???

Archived