Time for Eck to go already!

Caley Shaun

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn’t good enough last time. Clearly isn’t good enough now. 

SFA clearly blundered with the entire process for day one.  The job was screaming for Steve Clarke, Paul Lambert or David Moyes. 2 of 3 were unemployed at the time too. If you can’t get them, it’s time to think out of the box and get a younger  up and coming manager or a solid foreign choice. The idea that we can’t do better than McLeish insults me.

I very rarely advocate a manager to go, as in a lot of cases the players deserve at least half (or close to it) of the blame.  I still think the players deserve a rocket up them for what sounded like an abject performance, but for once I'm coming down on the manager taking most of it.  BBC Radio's insightful analysts could even see that our system wasn't working, and we only really changed it when it was already far too late. He just generally looks unwell too, and in speaking he's hardly inspiring.

Remember Gibraltar at Hampden?  Remember Strachan deciding that they were fucking guff and we could get away with a one-at-the-back system?  Remember what happened immediately once they scored?  He changed it.  It doesn't make the original mistake any better, but it was an immediate reaction, and we ended up dominating the rest of the game.  

Unfortunately, the chances of the SFA punting him this early are slim to non-existent.  He's going to be here until the end of the Euro qualifying cycle.  Don't worry though, at this rate that looks like it might be in early summer next year.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why is anyone suggesting Gemmill?

Also anyone suggesting McKay needs to be lobotimised 

Why not him? Time to think outside of the box.

Football seems to be the one business where promoting from within your own set up is frowned upon by outsiders.  In most businesses and most other sports, promoting from within your own system is the norm.

Not saying he’s the right man mind you but it’s at least a discussion. And let’s be real, he can’t be worse than McLeish.

I mind him being in the studio for the Scotland v South Ireland game at Celtic Park I think it was, and he looked and sounded absolutely blotto.   If you had told me then he would be the Scotland boss a few years later, I'd have asked you to be put in a home.

He was a poor appointment at the time but the worst thing about it was giving him a contract until 2020. McLeish had no chance of getting any other job so was in no position to negotiate. There was no reason to give him a contract beyond the Nations League, as even if he did really well there wouldn't have been many clubs after him.

I’d say hopefully the SFA have a clause to get rid of him for nothing if we don’t top our group but I really doubt it.

27 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

He really doesn't look well at all. In boxing terms he looks and sounds punchy.

He actually said they were ready to bring McKenna on when Soutar got sent off.

McKenna was already on 15 minutes earlier. Brilliant.

10 minutes ago, RobbieD said:

He actually said they were ready to bring McKenna on when Soutar got sent off.

McKenna was already on 15 minutes earlier. Brilliant.

Apparently Forrest was ready to come on, so possible he just got names confused.

I mean, it's still not great, just a different kind of worrying.

That's one of those suggestions where it is more about getting rid of your own club manager than for the sake of the national team right? Surely?
More seriously, he'd be a safe pair of hands and is a very good man manager. Players would play for him.

He'd endlessly tinker with formations and line ups though so maybe not.

3 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

More seriously, he'd be a safe pair of hands and is a very good man manager. Players would play for him.

He'd endlessly tinker with formations and line ups though so maybe not.

Come on get real. He's exactly the same kind of manager as we have had previously with Scotland with Levein and Burley etc. 

Archived