Time for Eck to go already!

Caley Shaun

3 hours ago, Friedrich Nietzsche said:

IMO there is no such thing as a meaningless international fixture. I would argue that every international fixture should be treated with importance. Of course competitive games are more important than friendlies, but friendlies are not exactly meaningless if there's a chance to improve our ranking.

Indeed. Especially when your team is absolutely god awful.   

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Indeed. Especially when your team is absolutely god awful.   

I understand the need to try some new players and systems but, when I looked at the lineups for the friendlies McLeish has presided over, it was pretty obvious that we were going to lose those games (Hungary game aside- were we somehow managed to win). What positive things have come from any of those games? That Mexico only put one goal past us? That Portugal only put three past us? That Belgium took pity on us and only scored four?

When the national team treats away friendlies like a wee overseas jolly and home friendlies like a kickabout then it's little wonder why they are playing home friendlies and Nations League games inside half empty stadiums.

The last Scotland friendly I enjoyed watching was the England game at Wembley in 2013. That was a cracking game and the team gave a really good account of themselves.

You would really hope noone within the Scotland setup takes the nation league games lightly as we've shown for a number of years now that we are nowhere near consistent enough to finish second in a qualifying group. The nation's league really is our best chance of qualifying.

On 25/10/2018 at 09:38, TheScarf said:

I'm still puzzled by the 'free hit' comment.  Surely every competitive fixture should be treated with the same importance?

It only makes sense if he sees the Nations League as a lower chance of qualifying than the qualifying groups. Which suggests that he's genuinely given it less thought than the punters on this board. 

That's troubling.

So I see James McFadden has now contradicted absolutely everything he said about this being a free hit.  It's now last chance saloon.   So McLeish calls up a bunch of jobbers. 

Get rid of these halfwits now, please.

On 05/11/2018 at 19:31, GordonS said:

It only makes sense if he sees the Nations League as a lower chance of qualifying than the qualifying groups. Which suggests that he's genuinely given it less thought than the punters on this board. 

That's troubling.

"It is now or never because if we don't win the two games, then we don't win the group," said McFadden.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46117984

Eh, naw Jim. It literally makes no difference at all if we beat Albania or draw with them. And even if we lose, the scoreline will affect what we need against Israel, but we could lose 10-0 and we'd still go through with a 1-0 at Hampden.

His ignorance is disturbing, because they may be preparing and picking a team to go to Albania and try to win, when a draw is just as good. 

There's something not quite right about McLeish's tenure and players asking to be excluded from selection. Almost Burley-esque.

All an SFA ploy so that when McLeish is sacked people don’t moan so much when Malky McKay is appointed.

This is even more painful than the debacle last month, and the games are still over a week away.

So, it’s irrelevant if you like them or not, the fact that 3 of our highest profile (in terms of the clubs they play at) players have publicly stated they don’t want to be considered for selection, we’ve had the Griffiths withdrawal under a shroud of smoke.....we’ve had the apathy of fans buying tickets for Hampden (I’ve been to his 4 home games but not going to Israel) and at the same time there has been nothing, absolutely nothing positive to take from the on field displays, and don’t get me started on the embarrassing press conferences........all this in only 3 competitive games.

I’m 38 years old and NEVER wished for a Scotland defeat but I’m hoping something happens that the SFA will act, if that’s a defeat then so be it, this is torture and can not continue.

All an SFA ploy so that when McLeish is sacked people don’t moan so much when Malky McKay is appointed.

At this moment in time I would take Malky Mackay over McLeish.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

"It is now or never because if we don't win the two games, then we don't win the group," said McFadden.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46117984

Eh, naw Jim. It literally makes no difference at all if we beat Albania or draw with them. And even if we lose, the scoreline will affect what we need against Israel, but we could lose 10-0 and we'd still go through with a 1-0 at Hampden.

His ignorance is disturbing, because they may be preparing and picking a team to go to Albania and try to win, when a draw is just as good. 

Nah, get that loser talk right in the Mariana Trench.

We should 100% be going to Albania looking to win. If not we should just stop Scotland as a team.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Nah, get that loser talk right in the Mariana Trench.

We should 100% be going to Albania looking to win. If not we should just stop Scotland as a team.

I know what you're saying, but nobody's particularly disagreeing with what McFadden says now, it's that he's now taken a complete about-face from what he said a couple of weeks ago, and that it isn't really particularly true either.  He's made a total arse of it.

For what it's worth though, away from McFadden, you're right.  If we don't beat Albania, it doesn't matter as much to our potential final standing, but it means everything going into a game we do have to win.  I'd feel a lot more confident taking to the field on Tuesday if we've already won on Saturday.  Not to mention that winning a game of football is always better than losing it.

sorry folks, but he is just boosting his pension pot, walked out on us ,when offered astonvilla job ,, money ,money ,money ,, he has not  ,and will not get any respect from, any pro player , here or down south , . hope he makes enough to buy his seasen ticket ,to watch his fav team ,.and enough , to keep up his red wine habit. stuart reagans ,last kick in the balls to the tartan army ,, sack strachan , and hire him f.f.sake

Archived