Time for Eck to go already!

Caley Shaun

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I have posted on the Portugal thread. His time is up for me, and I’ve never done it before (club or country) but will be voting with my feet by not going to the Israel game and will take the rest from there.

I was underwhelmed when he was appointed, but you support the appointment as you do, but he’s taking us back to the Burley era.

28 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

There’s a pretty large boycott already in action, surely?

ETA: of course, we could always try an open letter or a change.org petition.

I'm talking barely anyone attending. You'll always get the odd one not willing to stop, but it needs to be on mass. 

2 hours ago, TurbineTon said:

I'm talking barely anyone attending. You'll always get the odd one not willing to stop, but it needs to be on mass. 

Not sure we have that many Sunday games

It's interesting to read in Daily Record that 83% of our fans want AM sacked, if only the dross at the SFA knew that!! 

Which is up on the 80% of fans who didn’t want him in the first place.

Steve Clarke is the best candidate for the job.  If they are going to make the change I would prefer they did it sooner rather than later. 

Knowing the SFA they will keep McLeish on atleast til after the Euros.  Usless b******s

Steve Clarke is a shite manager who should not be even considered for the national team job.

Steve Clarke has dealt with the SFA on numerous occasions now and i would imagine he knows how f***ing clueless they are, he will will go back down south when he does leave us, why would you want to work with those clowns at Hampden.

Also money would not be an issue because id imagine hes sound on the financial front after some of his previous jobs.

what for me is a little frustrating is between McLeish and Strachan combined we have had elements of the manager we all want, but neither of them were the full package

Strachan had a better understanding of the formations/shape, and i do think he had better buy in from the players. His issue was always that he preferred to go with the tried and tested, and stuck by guys well passed their expiration date (boys like Anya, Martin, Hanley) over bringing players like Macgregor, griffiths in. It was only when it looked as though WC qualifications was slipping away from us. that he started bleeding boys like them through, and then bottled playing them again in slovakia.

McLeish has shown he is willing to make sacrifices to the old guard for in-form players, but he seems oblivious in how to gel a team together into a winning system, and the player call-offs suggest he cannot get a togetherness in the squad to push for qualification. 

Im not sure who would be in a better position to take scotland forward from where we are now. The length of time it took to hire mcleish in the first place, suggest either the SFA does not have the bottle to risk a high money appointment, or there are no genuine high calibre coaches interested. It would almost certainly need to be a 'break the bank' signing but do we write off another campaign for a new guy settling in? I cant help but feel a stick or a twist would not end well for us.

On 15/10/2018 at 18:41, Trackdaybob said:

yep and that is the narrative that the BBC promote. get quotes from the likes of Miller, Lambert and Nevin who all want the manager to be given time and say it would be "crazy" to sack him - "can only work with what he has got"; "who else is there" etc etc etc. Then drip feed this narrative at various points ignoring any manager*, pundit to high profile figure who dares to suggest McLeish should get punted.......

*Disclaimer - not sure any manager or former player associated with the media would publicly state this for fear of losing out on the gravy train that is Scottish fit....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45946321

If James McFadden's fairly carefree attitude towards the Nations' League is indicative of McLeish's thinking, Big Eck needs to go now.  

Free hit comment aside, he does say:

"The two games are massive and we need to win them," said McFadden. "We obviously want to win this - we still believe we're going to win the group. The bigger picture is the actual qualifying campaign.

That said, his mindset is still that ‘real’ qualification is via finishing top two in a qualifying group. Something we haven’t managed in 20 years.

Maybe the draw will be kind.

That said, if you are doing the Marketing/Comms for the SFA you must be screaming. Trying to talk-up the Nations League games as ‘nothing matters more’ and the likes and James is coming out with “it’s a free hit”.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

"The two games are massive and we need to win them," said McFadden. "We obviously want to win this - we still believe we're going to win the group. The bigger picture is the actual qualifying campaign.

That said, his mindset is still that ‘real’ qualification is via finishing top two in a qualifying group. Something we haven’t managed in 20 years.

The free hit comment is really troubling to me.  I can't help but think they're looking at it as an experiment.  This group couldn't have been easier if they had hand picked opponents.  I can't believe they don't put their chances of "the back door" qualification as high or higher than from a whole group, which will include not just one or two teams above us in the rankings, but conceivably three or four teams we're unlikely to beat.  

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Alex McLeish, James McFadden and Peter Grant have myopic views, but still.  

On 17/10/2018 at 14:21, FullTimePint said:

what for me is a little frustrating is between McLeish and Strachan combined we have had elements of the manager we all want, but neither of them were the full package

Strachan had a better understanding of the formations/shape, and i do think he had better buy in from the players. His issue was always that he preferred to go with the tried and tested, and stuck by guys well passed their expiration date (boys like Anya, Martin, Hanley) over bringing players like Macgregor, griffiths in. It was only when it looked as though WC qualifications was slipping away from us. that he started bleeding boys like them through, and then bottled playing them again in slovakia.

McLeish has shown he is willing to make sacrifices to the old guard for in-form players, but he seems oblivious in how to gel a team together into a winning system, and the player call-offs suggest he cannot get a togetherness in the squad to push for qualification. 

Im not sure who would be in a better position to take scotland forward from where we are now. The length of time it took to hire mcleish in the first place, suggest either the SFA does not have the bottle to risk a high money appointment, or there are no genuine high calibre coaches interested. It would almost certainly need to be a 'break the bank' signing but do we write off another campaign for a new guy settling in? I cant help but feel a stick or a twist would not end well for us.

Grant Hanley is only 26. He was well off the pace when out of the team at Newcastle, and always prone to an error or two, but surely he's just coming into his best years? Strachan was wrong to play him when he was match rusty, but I find it strange that he had been ditched completely.

I agree to an extent though. Strachan's major failure was not adjusting between the team that served him well early on and the one that did well last year. He relied on Maloney, S.Fletcher, Naismith and the like, and made bad decisions in the transition the team had to go through. But I think McLeish has had a similar failure - he hasn't coped with Scotland losing important players, especially Brown. Strachan and McLeish have both been guilty of bringing in the wrong players at important times. 

If James McFadden's fairly carefree attitude towards the Nations' League is indicative of McLeish's thinking, Big Eck needs to go now.  

Wonder if James McFadden, or indeed anyone in the employ of the SFA, realises that not winning this group will almost certainly have us as fourth seeds for the ‘real’ qualifiers.

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Image result for doctor who rain gif

11 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

That said, if you are doing the Marketing/Comms for the SFA you must be screaming. Trying to talk-up the Nations League games as ‘nothing matters more’ and the likes and James is coming out with “it’s a free hit”.

But that's the thing.  Saying the actual qualifying campaign is "the bigger picture" is completely missing the point, as is the talk of hoping we don't need to rely on it.  If the Nations League fell after the main qualifiers, I could maybe understand it more, but here is an absolutely fucking golden chance which is, absolutely unarguably, an easier one than the main qualifiers.  Quotes like that are the sort of stuff we should be spinning when we inevitably contrive to finish outside of the top spot, in a sort of "never fancied you anyway" mode.  Instead, ahead of the two most important games we have played in a while, we're downplaying them to the point of irrelevance.  I get there's probably an element of taking the pressure off the players, but f**k that.  If they are honestly taking to the field, needing to be hearing the media fed shite like that, then they shouldn't be playing.

"Nothing matters more"...I fucking despair, I really do.

Archived