Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Principal Flutie said:

I'd very much like to see where it's been seen as a glass ceiling.

When guys like Brown and Hutton hit 50 or so caps then chuck it.

When our Association allow players into a 'Hall of Fame' for reaching it. (Charlie Mulgrew... Scotland 'great' in the making)

When our players and current manager talk about it as if it's internationally recognised as a hallmark of greatness. It isn't. It's a notable achievement but not much more.

Okay, 'glass ceiling' is maybe not the perfect term as it suggests players are prevented from passing the 50 mark, which they are obviously not. But setting expectations low and making them 'Hall of Famers' at 50 caps hardly fosters a 'reach for the sky' attitude for our players.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Callum Paterson played up front at the weekend (and scored).

Scored playing upfront in last couple of games. Think that there's a fair chance this could happen.

Would like to see Rhodes called up but as others have said the replacements will likely be Phillips and Christie.

Saying it's not a "perfect term" is a gross understatement. Pretty much everything you said is guess work at best. Especially in the case of Brown. Hutton chucked it because he was gash and likely would have found himself not getting selected.

The SFA are morons so what they choose to believe means absolutely nothing to me, and should mean nothing to you too.

There is no glass ceiling. There has never been a glass ceiling, and this assertion that there's anything even close to it is absurd.

6 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Saying it's not a "perfect term" is a gross understatement. Pretty much everything you said is guess work at best. Especially in the case of Brown. Hutton chucked it because he was gash and likely would have found himself not getting selected.

The SFA are morons so what they choose to believe means absolutely nothing to me, and should mean nothing to you too.

There is no glass ceiling. There has never been a glass ceiling, and this assertion that there's anything even close to it is absurd.

Hutton is gash? Behave. He was the last credible right back we had. 

Is the Hall of Fame 'guess work' or an actual thing? Did McLeish mention the 'the coveted 50 cap mark' or did I just pull that out of thin air too?

And untwist your skants re the glass ceiling thing, I clarified what I meant by it in my next post so it's hardly an 'assertion'. It's about aspiration. Aiming low and rewarding people for reaching relatively easy targets is indicative of us accepting mediocrity.

When guys like Brown and Hutton hit 50 or so caps then chuck it. When our Association allow players into a 'Hall of Fame' for reaching it. (Charlie Mulgrew... Scotland 'great' in the making) When our players and current manager talk about it as if it's internationally recognised as a hallmark of greatness. It isn't. It's a notable achievement but not much more.

Okay, 'glass ceiling' is maybe not the perfect term as it suggests players are prevented from passing the 50 mark, which they are obviously not. But setting expectations low and making them 'Hall of Famers' at 50 caps hardly fosters a 'reach for the sky' attitude for our players.

They get a special medal and a mention in the Hall of Fame for getting 25 caps, shocking I know!!!

Surely Harper has to be called up for these ones, considering how short we are in options up front now, or will Griffiths be fitter now???

IMG_4515.thumb.jpg.e64c0f32576ee456e2eb63f5fe42bd8a.jpg

20 hours ago, King Kebab said:

They get a special medal and a mention in the Hall of Fame for getting 25 caps, shocking I know!!!

Surely Harper has to be called up for these ones, considering how short we are in options up front now, or will Griffiths be fitter now???

IMG_4515.thumb.jpg.e64c0f32576ee456e2eb63f5fe42bd8a.jpg

He's out with a sprained ankle just now. Hopefully he won't be out too long. Malaga are hopeful he could play some part in Saturday's game.  

I think it is an interesting question as to why Darren Fletcher is our only player to get beyond 60-something caps since Jim Leighton? Despite it being early in a 2-year cycle (when a number of players tend to have just retired), there are 20 such across the current squads of the 14 other sides in C Division of the Nations League...

I'd speculate it's since: 1) we traditionally shunned many friendly dates meaning we played fewer games overall; 2) lots of new managers have meant lots of rebuilds with players dropped and/or favoured again; 3) players dropping-out (injured or otherwise) or even retiring early/temporarily isn't uncommon.

20 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I think it is an interesting question as to why Darren Fletcher is our only player to get beyond 60-something caps since Jim Leighton? Despite it being early in a 2-year cycle (when a number of players tend to have just retired), there are 20 such across the current squads of the 14 other sides in C Division of the Nations League...

I'd speculate it's since: 1) we traditionally shunned many friendly dates meaning we played fewer games overall; 2) lots of new managers have meant lots of rebuilds with players dropped and/or favoured again; 3) players dropping-out (injured or otherwise) or even retiring early/temporarily isn't uncommon.

We've also not had many players that are absolute stick-on  picks for longer than a year or so.  We've got no superstars, and a lot of players who are or have been much of a muchness.

20 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

We don’t have enough players who are a) standout performers and b) at that level for many years.

Scott Brown and Craig Gordon should both have had more caps, though there are numerous reasons why they didn’t.

Too many of our players only become ‘useful’ relatively late in their careers.  We seem to create very few Andy Robertsons and Kieran Tierneys.  But then we create players like Ryan Fraser who we seem to find every possible reason not to give an opportunity to.

14 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

We don’t have enough players who are a) standout performers and b) at that level for many years.

Scott Brown and Craig Gordon should both have had more caps, though there are numerous reasons why they didn’t.

Too many of our players only become ‘useful’ relatively late in their careers.  We seem to create very few Andy Robertsons and Kieran Tierneys.  But then we create players like Ryan Fraser who we seem to find every possible reason not to give an opportunity to.

Him being "injured" every time a squad comes around certainly plays a big part in that.

16 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

We've also not had many players that are absolute stick-on  picks for longer than a year or so.  We've got no superstars, and a lot of players who are or have been much of a muchness.

This exactly. Fletcher has been our only truly top level player to emerge in the last 20 years. Gordon could/would have been barring injury  and Brown is depressingly our third best player in that timeframe. Hard to overstate how average a group of players we've had over that period. 

On 02/11/2018 at 11:45, Virtual Insanity said:

This exactly. Fletcher has been our only truly top level player to emerge in the last 20 years. Gordon could/would have been barring injury  and Brown is depressingly our third best player in that timeframe. Hard to overstate how average a group of players we've had over that period. 

Barry Ferguson was as good as Fletcher, certainly for Scotland. 

1 hour ago, woof! said:

Barry Ferguson was as good as Fletcher, certainly for Scotland. 

He was another player who didn't always make himself available though. Very rarely played in friendlies. Ferguson won 11 caps in friendlies across an 11 year international career. Fletcher has 28 caps in friendlies in his 14 years.

Archived