Striker 

Oliver McBurnie

Johnny Russell

Steven Naismith

Jordan Rhodes

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That’s James McArthur retired from international football.

He was a strange one for Scotland, I can’t recall him ever having a great game but never had an awful one either.

He’d have been in with a shout of becoming a regular with Brown retired.

15 minutes ago, Rabinho said:

He was a strange one for Scotland, I can’t recall him ever having a great game but never had an awful one either.

He’d have been in with a shout of becoming a regular with Brown retired.

Meh.

17 hours ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Scotland squad

keeper

Jon McLaughlin

Jamie MacDonald

Allan McGregor

Defender

Michael Devlin

Scott McKenna

Liam Cooper

Andrew Robertson

Kieran Tierney 

Stephen O'Donnell

Midfielder

Callum Paterson

Ryan Christie 

Lewis Morgan

Ryan Fraser

Graeme Shinnie

Callum McGregor

Stuart Armstrong

John McGinn

GMS

Jay Fulton

Barrie McKay

Striker 

Oliver McBurnie

Johnny Russell

Steven Naismith

Jordan Rhodes

I quite like this and would imagine it won't be far off the actual squad.

Doubt McKay, Rhodes, Fulton, GMS, Cooper and MacDonald would be in the actual squad, and we'll most likely see Gordon, McDonald, McTominay, Hendry, Snodgrass and Mulgrew in.

McArthur has always been one of those players who I don't know if I rate or not. Like, he's 31 years old, played 32 times for Scotland and hundreds of times in Scotland and England, and I'm still no closer to knowing what I actually think about him as a player. That might be more my fault than his, mind. 

McArthur has always been one of those players who I don't know if I rate or not. Like, he's 31 years old, played 32 times for Scotland and hundreds of times in Scotland and England, and I'm still no closer to knowing what I actually think about him as a player. That might be more my fault than his, mind. 

I feel similar. McGinn seems to me to be the same kind of middling midfielder who does bits and bobs reasonably well but doesn’t really stand out at anything either.

I feel similar. McGinn seems to me to be the same kind of middling midfielder who does bits and bobs reasonably well but doesn’t really stand out at anything either.

Agree re McArthur, but not McGinn. McGinn has an explosive side to his game and some signature moves such as his tackling from behind and long range shooting, not to mention his hunchback running style. In between those moments in games though it can be hard to describe his style of play.

McLeish re McArthur's retirement:

"I know that James had his heart set on reaching the coveted 50-cap mark, so for him to retire from international football must have been an extremely difficult decision to make."

Does any other country make such a big deal of the 50 cap mark? Scotland players get into the hall of fame for reaching it, I think, and they get a silver medal? You only usually hear a big deal about England players when they reach 100 caps.

50 feels to me like a very good personal achievement, but not quite the stretch it could be. Guys like Hutton and Scott Brown seemed quite happy to reach 50 caps then call it a day.  

12 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

McLeish re McArthur's retirement:

"I know that James had his heart set on reaching the coveted 50-cap mark, so for him to retire from international football must have been an extremely difficult decision to make."

Does any other country make such a big deal of the 50 cap mark? Scotland players get into the hall of fame for reaching it, I think, and they get a silver medal? You only usually hear a big deal about England players when they reach 100 caps.

50 feels to me like a very good personal achievement, but not quite the stretch it could be. Guys like Hutton and Scott Brown seemed quite happy to reach 50 caps then call it a day.  

Probably because talking about reaching 100 caps is a ridiculously fanciful notion.  We obviously don't play in tournaments, and we were averse to friendlies for a while, so I guess celebrating 50 is the next best thing.  Only one player in our history has ever breached the hundred after all.

Probably because talking about reaching 100 caps is a ridiculously fanciful notion.  We obviously don't play in tournaments, and we were averse to friendlies for a while, so I guess celebrating 50 is the next best thing.  Only one player in our history has ever breached the hundred after all.

Yeah you're most probably right. Feels wrong to lower the target though - it's as if we're fostering the notion that once you hit 50 caps you've 'done' international football and that Dalglish's achievement was superhuman.

If Darren Fletcher hadn't been stricken with UC I expect he might have made 100 caps. Same too with Craig Gordon and his 'lost' 4 years or so so it's not absurd for one of the current era players to aspire to a century of caps, but it is - rightly - a stretch.

Yeah you're most probably right. Feels wrong to lower the target though - it's as if we're fostering the notion that once you hit 50 caps you've 'done' international football and that Dalglish's achievement was superhuman. 
If Darren Fletcher hadn't been stricken with UC I expect he might have made 100 caps. Same too with Craig Gordon and his 'lost' 4 years or so so it's not absurd for one of the current era players to aspire to a century of caps, but it is - rightly - a stretch.

I’d imagine there are very few players in the current squad who are going to come anywhere near 100 caps. There aren’t very many you’d see playing 50, other than Robertson and Tierney, and somewhere down the line they’ll be competing for caps.

Think Paul McStay is another one who would have been in the 100 cap club as well if not for his 50 odd call offs!!!

Surely Shagger and Mulgrew must be near the 50 cap mark as well???

100 games ago for Scotland was 1-0 against France at Hampden in November 2006 so based on the current rate of games a player has to be playing for Scotland every single game for 12 years to get near 100 caps. It just won't happen unless someone like Robertson remains injury free for his entire career or we start qualifying for major tournaments. 

44 minutes ago, forameus said:

Naismith out for 6-8 weeks, so he'll miss the games.  

So what exactly is our shortlist of eligible strikers who aren't complete dogshit?  Chris Martin and Steven Fletcher back in with a shout?

Matt Phillips is fit again for West Brom, I imagine he might get the call up ahead of those 2. 

20 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I’d imagine there are very few players in the current squad who are going to come anywhere near 100 caps. There aren’t very many you’d see playing 50, other than Robertson and Tierney, and somewhere down the line they’ll be competing for caps.

So lets just reduce the 'coveted' mark to 25... jesting, of course, but that's kind of my point.

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

Are people seriously complaining about 50 caps being a milestone? Of course it is FFS. It's worth noting.

Not complaining about it being worth noting or the players getting a medal or special cap or whatever. It's just the fact that it seems to be a glass ceiling in terms of aspiration for us.  100 caps seems to have become a laughable notion for us for the various reasons people have mentioned (not qualifying, competition for spots, not playing friendlies in recent years etc)

3 hours ago, forameus said:

Naismith out for 6-8 weeks, so he'll miss the games.  

So what exactly is our shortlist of eligible strikers who aren't complete dogshit?  Chris Martin and Steven Fletcher back in with a shout?

I'd go with Fletcher (because he has a hint of international pedigree about him) and/or Rhodes (purely because he has a few more years left in him than Martin*)

Also, given we have f*ck all other options, I wouldn't be averse to taking the plunge and calling up someone like Harper (or go all wildcard and call up Hornsby - if he wasn't injured). Better that than the depressing practice of using a winger as a striker.

So my forwards for this squad would be:

McBurnie (though he's not a first pick for me after that shit show vs Portugal)

Fletcher/Rhodes

Harper

Though I expect we'll get:

McBurnie

Phillips

Christie [or someone else who clearly isn't a striker]

*just checked: Martin has scored 2 goals in his last 54 games. Holy sh*t!

Archived