Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

What plan Scotland bring few blood younger (U21s, U19s,) and  fringe players for next month with name squad.

The under 21s are terrible, Craig.  They play a different formation to the first team, for one thing, but few of them are comfortable on the ball and even fewer of them attempt to play passing football.  Honestly, if we're looking to Scotland Gemmill's squad for salvation - things look extremely bleak to me.

The only players who are close to being good enough (in terms of potential ability) are Johnston of Celtic and Gilmour of Chelsea, but one is injured and the other is nowhere near ready physically.

I think Mallan might be there or thereabouts, but I don't think he's quite up to the standard.  Otherwise, there are quite a few younger players already in the A squad - I doubt there'll be too many debutants named next time out.

The under 21s are terrible, Craig.  They play a different formation to the first team, for one thing, but few of them are comfortable on the ball and even fewer of them attempt to play passing football.  Honestly, if we're looking to Scotland Gemmill's squad for salvation - things look extremely bleak to me.

The only players who are close to being good enough (in terms of potential ability) are Johnston of Celtic and Gilmour of Chelsea, but one is injured and the other is nowhere near ready physically.

I think Mallan might be there or thereabouts, but I don't think he's quite up to the standard.  Otherwise, there are quite a few younger players already in the A squad - I doubt there'll be too many debutants named next time out.

Have to agree. Morgan looked poor the other night and Gilmour simply did not impose himself (he's doing really well just to be considered a starter for the u21s at his age). Mallan I'd say would be another Barry Bannan level player if we brought him into the full team - i e. He's not going to improve us. Bates looked reasonable as did McCrorie, but there was no standout talent on show in dark blue. Hornsby and Burke might have added a bit of muscle but who knows. Middleton too looked a bit lumbering and lost possession too much for my liking.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

McLeish scout watch Scotland 21-Unders game face England

My Sheffield United mates keep going on about why John Fleck doesn’t get in the squad. Apparently plays well in most games and they’ve been raving about him since last season. Maybe worth a punt in the midfield? 

He’s been excellent tonight so far.

Kevin McDonald and Barry Bannan have already provided ample proof that being a standout midfielder at that level doesn't necessarily translate into being any good for Scotland. I wouldn't be against Fleck being called up, but I'm fed up of people being outraged about Championship players not getting picked (the same applies to Scottish Premiership players, before anyone starts).

1 hour ago, Falkirk Cyclist said:

You have a weird chip on your shoulder about Bannan.   He's an absolutely excellent player and not remotely comparable to McDonald.   A better comparison would be Tom Cairney who's a slower less skilful version of Bannan with poorer vision.   

Behave yourself.  Cairney has been arguably the best player in the championship for the past couple of seasons. Whenever I saw him live, he was the stand out. Whenever my pals who support other teams saw him, he said he was the best player on the opposition.  He should have been playing in the top leagues ages ago.

I think our main problem is we have a significant pool of players playing at decent levels where you can argue X is better than Y - Bannan for McGinn, Fleck for McDonald, Palmer for O’Donnell, Cooper for Hendry, Lindsay for Souttar, and so on - but the underlying issue is that none of them are especially good in any case.

From that perspective it makes perfect sense to pick a few guys and stick with them to get the best from them, rather than chopping and changing every squad and not letting anyone settle.

An alternative Scotland XI at virtually any given time isn’t really much worse than the team on the park.

We have a good record with Bannan in the team, and I think he really added balance to the midfield under Strachan. I don't particularly understand the negativity that can surround him from some Scotland fans, and I don't know why he has been left out in the cold at the moment.

We have a good record with Bannan in the team, and I think he really added balance to the midfield under Strachan. I don't particularly understand the negativity that can surround him from some Scotland fans, and I don't know why he has been left out in the cold at the moment.

I’d imagine he falls into the same category as a lot who’ve been left out, he’s not a world beater and not a teenager so let’s try something different. Eck hasn’t exactly set the heather alight but at least he’s been willing to try younger players which was something Strachan wasn’t keen on.

12 minutes ago, Rabinho said:

I’d imagine he falls into the same category as a lot who’ve been left out, he’s not a world beater and not a teenager so let’s try something different. Eck hasn’t exactly set the heather alight but at least he’s been willing to try younger players which was something Strachan wasn’t keen on.

I don't think that's really true. McLeish has brought in players like McGregor (25), Russell (28), McDonald (29), McGinn (24), Souttar (22) and McKenna (21). Strachan brought in players who were around a similar wide range of ages, including the likes of Tierney,  Hanley, Bannan, Griffiths, Ritchie and Armstrong (who were pretty much all in their early to mid 20s). I'm not really seeing a difference in that respect. McLeish's teams haven't been particularly young. 

I don't think that's really true. McLeish has brought in players like McGregor (25), Russell (28), McDonald (29), McGinn (24), Souttar (22) and McKenna (21). Strachan brought in players who were around a similar wide range of ages, including the likes of Tierney,  Hanley, Bannan, Griffiths, Ritchie and Armstrong (who were pretty much all in their early to mid 20s). I'm not really seeing a difference in that respect. McLeish's teams haven't been particularly young. 
Of those you list, all but Souttar and McKenna (both 21 at the time of their first caps) were initially capped by Strachan. McLeish has also brought in Hendry (23) and McBurnie (22).
You could list Tierney and Burke in favour of Strachan but I think McLeish's consistent favouring of very young centre backs is more notable/daring/foolish (delete as appropriate)
And before anyone argues he has only picked young CBs 'because there was nobody else', he could easily have called up Mulgrew, Berra and Hanley as his main 3.

38 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Of those you list, all but Souttar and McKenna (both 21 at the time of their first caps) were initially capped by Strachan. McLeish has also brought in Hendry (23) and McBurnie (22).
You could list Tierney and Burke in favour of Strachan but I think McLeish's consistent favouring of very young centre backs is more notable/daring/foolish (delete as appropriate)
And before anyone argues he has only picked young CBs 'because there was nobody else', he could easily have called up Mulgrew, Berra and Hanley as his main 3.

McGregor wasn't capped under Strachan, neither was McDonald. Russell made one sub appearance in a competitive match. McGinn  got about 20 minutes of competitive football under Strachan. My point was about players that have been brought into contention for starting places in competitive matches - I think he's just picking the players he likes the best, I don't think there's any real plan revolving around getting younger players involved. 

Also remember that Grant Hanley is still only 26. He was only 21 when Strachan gave him his first competitive start. I can't think of any other young centre backs that would have been anywhere near worthy of a game during Strachan's time. I don't think his approach to any different to what we've seen from McLeish in this regard. 

McGregor wasn't capped under Strachan, neither was McDonald. Russell made one sub appearance in a competitive match. McGinn  got about 20 minutes of competitive football under Strachan. My point was about players that have been brought into contention for starting places in competitive matches - I think he's just picking the players he likes the best, I don't think there's any real plan revolving around getting younger players involved. 
Also remember that Grant Hanley is still only 26. He was only 21 when Strachan gave him his first competitive start. I can't think of any other young centre backs that would have been anywhere near worthy of a game during Strachan's time. I don't think his approach to any different to what we've seen from McLeish in this regard. 

Grant Hanley, prior to joining Newcastle and rotting in the reserves, was actually pretty reliable. Quite surprised he’s been completely ditched.

Archived