Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

36 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agreed. There is also a real dislike of the SFA, I think the backash against McLeish right from the start was mainly for the reasons you state, but also because his appointment typified everything that has been wrong with the SFA over the last 20 years (and more). His appointment almost became a symbol of that which has meant fans have rejected it even more.

Yes, definitely.

The shambles surrounding his actual appointment is indeed another factor.  It really did exemplify every concern people have about the SFA.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised with the talk of right backs that Chris Cadden's name hasn't been mentioned more. He seemed highly rated last season. I haven't seen much of him this year at all though, has his form fallen off a cliff alongside Motherwell's poor run?

If Tierney can play right back then why not call up someone like Barry Douglas and play him at right back?
Tierney is being asked to play at right-back because he's an excellent defender and has shown himself to be versatile already for his club. Since he can't get in the team in his natural position, we have instead seen him doing a job out of position.

Barry Douglas would barely be considered good enough in his own position, without asking him to play one he's never been near before in his life. He's also primarily an attacking full-back and would therefore struggle even more than usual with the defensive side of the game if he was stuck on the right.

Surprised with the talk of right backs that Chris Cadden's name hasn't been mentioned more. He seemed highly rated last season. I haven't seen much of him this year at all though, has his form fallen off a cliff alongside Motherwell's poor run?
Cadden isn't a right-back. He's a central midfielder, or at a push a right-sided midfielder. He's played right wing-back for Motherwell this season out of necessity, but he hasn't been particularly good at it. He's played right-back in their last two games, but I'd expect that experiment to stop after they were scudded 7-1 by Rangers.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:
6 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Cadden isn't a right-back. He's a central midfielder, or at a push a right-sided midfielder. He's played right wing-back for Motherwell this season out of necessity, but he hasn't been particularly good at it. He's played right-back in their last two games, but I'd expect that experiment to stop after they were scudded 7-1 by Rangers.

Talking about Cadden on Sportsound today and his club manager sees his future as a RB/Right full back. Be good for the NT if that was the case (and he excelled there)

43 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Team has been announced;

5bf06005d7201_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_DsOEF5hWkAAoOMq.jpg.32a1531e465e474a4bb7d3a74c904b09.jpg

Pretty exciting looking team tbh. McGregor Armstrong Christie Fraser and Forrest all in. If we can control possession and dictate the pace of the game this could be very good. If we can't...

On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 16:11, WATTOO said:

I've seen 4 matches and he's been poor in all of them (as has the whole defence and midfield to be fair), so it might not be all his fault, however I do acknowledge he's been getting some decent publicity in some quarters but I'm unsure if that's propaganda with him being a former son of william.

Hang on a minute - why did you say "by all accounts" he's been poor, when you're now saying that he's been getting a good write up?

5 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Hang on a minute - why did you say "by all accounts" he's been poor, when you're now saying that he's been getting a good write up?

The games I've watched personally he's been poor, the commentary team on BT reckoned he'd been poor, however some recent reports in our red top media (which I hadn't seen at the point of my original post) have him getting good reviews so hence the reason I backtracked.

Pretty simple and no hidden agenda from me.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The games I've watched personally he's been poor, the commentary team on BT reckoned he'd been poor, however some recent reports in our red top media (which I hadn't seen at the point of my original post) have him getting good reviews so hence the reason I backtracked.

Pretty simple and no hidden agenda from me.

I'm finding this all a bit far fetched.  You're suggesting that you've watched four different Hamburg games on BT Sport this season, and that David Bates has been called out by the commentators as a weak link in all of them?

This is obviously aside from the fact that the guy has only played 10 games, one as a substitute, with a new club, in a new country, and he's only 22 years old.  You've watched him four times and he's been poor every time.  Yes?

24 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I'm finding this all a bit far fetched.  You're suggesting that you've watched four different Hamburg games on BT Sport this season, and that David Bates has been called out by the commentators as a weak link in all of them?

This is obviously aside from the fact that the guy has only played 10 games, one as a substitute, with a new club, in a new country, and he's only 22 years old.  You've watched him four times and he's been poor every time.  Yes?

To be fair to WATTOO I've watched a fair few HSV games this season and  Bates was called out by the commentators as poor against Holstein Kiel on the first day of the season when he got hooked after a howler from him meant they went 1-0 down, he was called out again in the win over Arminia Bielefeld despite a clean sheet although a lot of that was saying he was poor v Holstein Kiel and then whenever he looked shaky pouncing on it and then was slated for his stupidity in picking up a 2nd booking against Magedeburg at the end of last month.

If those are 3 of the games he's watched him play then it would hardly be a surprise if he's thought he's been poor. Overall Bates has been pretty good though and come on massively since a horror show of a debut although he is prone to the odd moment of madness as can be expected from a young defender playing his first handful of games in a foreign country.

Archived