Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Only two of those guys have actually pulled out, so it doesn't require too many changes. The deep midfield role is the one that troubles me the most - we're lacking options in there anyway, and so losing McGinn is a bigger blow than any of the others. You're looking at either McTominay or Shinnie in there, or the alternative of moving Armstrong deeper and bringing in another attacker. McTominay provides the most physicality, but has hardly played of late and there are question marks about whether he's actually good or not. Shinnie is a grafter, but isn't in the best form of his career for Aberdeen of late, and is a liability in terms of constantly getting booked. Armstrong and McGregor as a pair runs the risk of having us left wide open and a bit soft, and blunts Armstrong's attacking threat, but it does mean we have two very fit guys in the middle of the park. However, it does mean then bringing in Christie or Russell, neither of whom are likely to do much tracking back into the middle.

On balance, I reckon I'd probably go for McTominay, which would leave the team looking like this. I suppose a wildcard option is having Paterson in the middle and playing Fletcher up top, but I think Paterson's lack of mobility would be exposed in that case.

McGregor

Tierney Bates McKenna Robertson

McGregor McTominay

Forrest Armstrong Fraser

Paterson

I agree with the team you've chose.

Looking at the way the squad is just now, I don't think we can play cynically and focus on not conceding. Not that I'd want us to do that, but a crappy draw wouldn't be the worst result.

With all the injuries/formation changes and just generally how the C1 group games seems to be going, we're likely going to give up a bunch of chances on Saturday. I think we'll need to score 2 or 3 to win this game and this 11 is, imo our best chance of doing that.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

When the squad was announced, my team would have been:

McGregor

Tierney Mulgrew McKenna Robertson

McGregor McGinn

Forrest Armstrong Fraser

Paterson

Only two of those guys have actually pulled out, so it doesn't require too many changes. The deep midfield role is the one that troubles me the most - we're lacking options in there anyway, and so losing McGinn is a bigger blow than any of the others. You're looking at either McTominay or Shinnie in there, or the alternative of moving Armstrong deeper and bringing in another attacker. McTominay provides the most physicality, but has hardly played of late and there are question marks about whether he's actually good or not. Shinnie is a grafter, but isn't in the best form of his career for Aberdeen of late, and is a liability in terms of constantly getting booked. Armstrong and McGregor as a pair runs the risk of having us left wide open and a bit soft, and blunts Armstrong's attacking threat, but it does mean we have two very fit guys in the middle of the park. However, it does mean then bringing in Christie or Russell, neither of whom are likely to do much tracking back into the middle.

On balance, I reckon I'd probably go for McTominay, which would leave the team looking like this. I suppose a wildcard option is having Paterson in the middle and playing Fletcher up top, but I think Paterson's lack of mobility would be exposed in that case.

McGregor

Tierney Bates McKenna Robertson

McGregor McTominay

Forrest Armstrong Fraser

Paterson

That's the team I'd go with, and it looks a far better team than the ones we've had so far under McLeish. The call-offs don't really make any difference. It's not like we're Wales who rely on 2-3 quality players, we've got about 20-25 players of pretty equal ability so you can quite easily lose a chunk of them and it not matter in the slightest.

Our game plan just has to be to get Paterson to cause chaos up front and to get Forrest, Fraser, Armstrong and McGregor around about him, with Robertson also arriving from deep.

Guest DAVIDB69
McGregor
Tierney - Bates - McKenna - Robertson
McTominay - McGregor
Paterson
Forrest - Fletcher - Fraser

Ready to come on if not going well - McBurnie, Phillips, Christie or Armstrong

We should surely beat Albania with this side.

A lot of Albania players play at a much better level

I'd play: Shagger; KT, Bates, McKenna, Robbo; Armstrong, McGregor; Forrest, Christie, Fraser; Paterson.

Hoping we can scrape a win, any kind of win out in Albania. The usual late arrival bordering on negligent preparation sadly but not surprising given the Scottish FA are short of cash.

Snodgrass played in a development game yesterday against Brentford for West Ham (scored as well) . 

Was he picked and dropped out? Or did he ask not to be selected? 

Really come onto a game this year for West Ham, certainly becoming bit of a fans favourite. 

Snodgrass played in a development game yesterday against Brentford for West Ham (scored as well) . 

Really come onto a game this year for West Ham, certainly becoming bit of a fans favourite. 

By all accounts doesn’t want to be selected. He was left out of the last squad too before coming to the Israel game on the back of a load of call-offs.

I get the feeling that Snodgrass, and others, are so focused on their club careers that they don't even realise what the Nations League is. I also get the impression that some took the huff when Strachan was sacked and found this even harder to swallow when McLeish was appointed. 

Whatever the case, Snoddy isn't sufficiently interested  in helping Scotland qualify for the Euros. I find that hard to swallow. 

I thought he had an ongoing family situation? I was under the impression that he and Ritchie were dealing with personal stuff which meant they couldn’t really travel with the international team, rather than not wanting to, as is the case with the Thumb.

18 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I thought he had an ongoing family situation? I was under the impression that he and Ritchie were dealing with personal stuff which meant they couldn’t really travel with the international team, rather than not wanting to, as is the case with the Thumb.

Yeah I am sure I read something similar,  I suppose that might be in London. 

Archived