Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tin hat on but is there a rule about players playing in Scotland for 5 years are then able to represent us? In the back of my mind I seem to recall that the home nations all agreed not to use this rule but Tavernier must be approaching 5 years. And our right back situation is desperate. Russia used this rule to allow mario fernandes to play right back and Ukraine have used it for Marlos

14 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Tin hat on but is there a rule about players playing in Scotland for 5 years are then able to represent us? In the back of my mind I seem to recall that the home nations all agreed not to use this rule but Tavernier must be approaching 5 years. And our right back situation is desperate. Russia used this rule to allow mario fernandes to play right back and Ukraine have used it for Marlos

It's at least five years, he's been in Scotland three.

15 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

The "Gentleman's Agreement" is what stops this.  We could go against it, there's nothing to stop us, but it likely wouldn't endear us to anyone, and it would also mean that England - or any other home nation - could also just decide not to follow it either.  And they've got quite a bit more pull than us.

24 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

I'll be honest, I'd be all in favour of that.  If he could manufacture a blood relative, that'd be even better, but beggars can't be choosers.

8 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Anyway, away from the ridiculous management team and on to the important stuff, anybody going? 

I’m flying Edinburgh >>> Milan >>> Tirana on Friday afternoon and back via Venice on Monday morning. Absolutely buzzing for it. 

Milan and Venice will be great.  The bits in between... 

27 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

It got changed to 2 years from what I can see on google. Agree with others though. It'd open a can of worms.

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
d) He has lived continuously on the territory of the relevant association for at least two years."

12 minutes ago, forameus said:

The "Gentleman's Agreement" is what stops this.  We could go against it, there's nothing to stop us, but it likely wouldn't endear us to anyone, and it would also mean that England - or any other home nation - could also just decide not to follow it either.  And they've got quite a bit more pull than us.

What is the purpose of the gentleman’s agreement between the home nations? Is it purely to stop e.g. McLeish being able to cap anyone with a British passport?

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

What is the purpose of the gentleman’s agreement between the home nations? Is it purely to stop e.g. McLeish being able to cap anyone with a British passport?

I'm not sure exactly, but I'd imagine that if it was scrapped, it would essentially be open season between the home nations, as technically you'd be opening yourself up as being eligible for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  

Hypothetically, although I'm not sure if it's true, would it mean that say in the next few years we have a very, very talented but not particularly committed player coming through.  England could then poach him, despite him being Scottish, as well as British.

Could be talking shite though.

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

I'm not sure exactly, but I'd imagine that if it was scrapped, it would essentially be open season between the home nations, as technically you'd be opening yourself up as being eligible for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  

Hypothetically, although I'm not sure if it's true, would it mean that say in the next few years we have a very, very talented but not particularly committed player coming through.  England could then poach him, despite him being Scottish, as well as British.

Could be talking shite though.

Somebody like Billy Gilmour playing for Chelsea. He moved there in July 2017, so hypothetically he could play for the England team from July 2019 (i'm assuming he's got no family connections to England).

3 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Somebody like Billy Gilmour playing for Chelsea. He moved there in July 2017, so hypothetically he could play for the England team from July 2019 (i'm assuming he's got no family connections to England).

I don't think he'd even need to move to England.  British passport, essentially British, hence can represent anyone.  I think.

The "gentleman's agreement" was ratified by FIFA in 2010 and is therefore binding. We cannot pick anyone purely on the basis of them having a British passport or being resident in Scotland for 5, 10 or even 50 years.

This is the agreement:

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
c) One of his biological grandparents was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The "gentleman's agreement" was ratified by FIFA in 2010 and is therefore binding. We cannot pick anyone purely on the basis of them having a British passport or being resident in Scotland for 5, 10 or even 50 years.

This is the agreement:

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
c) One of his biological grandparents was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association.

Cheers Craig.  I assumed it was just something non-binding that we were sticking to rather than an actual rule.  Right decision too, it would be a farce if it was torn down, with the only benefit to us likely being complete jobbers.

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Anyway, away from the ridiculous management team and on to the important stuff, anybody going? 

I’m flying Edinburgh >>> Milan >>> Tirana on Friday afternoon and back via Venice on Monday morning. Absolutely buzzing for it. 

Glasgow > Gatwick > Tirana tomorrow (Thursday) and back on Monday.

Wife is the Bus Steward for Davy P's Bus 15 to the game on Saturday.

So, if you are on her bus, best behaviour. She used to run a pack of Brownies, so 50-ish drunks on a bus will be no bother to her.

Archived