Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, forameus said:

On Scott Bain, am I the only one that doesn't really care?  I know he isn't the player most would pick, or the most on-form, or even the one actually playing, but given it's in the goalkeeper position I don't think it really matters.  At the very worst, it's a gamble.  McGregor is an absolute nailed on starter, so the only way either the 2nd or 3rd choice is getting near the pitch is if the worst should happen and there's an injury.  I know that's not exactly impossible, but it's not like we've called up someone who actually stands a realistic chance of playing.

Given McGregor propensity for kicking folk, there's every chance Scotland will have to pick MacDonald or Bain in a must win match.

39 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I don’t think that’s why folk are raging tbh. If he was still at Fundee he would be nowhere near the squad. He hasn’t suddenly became a better player by warming Celtics bench.

Bain was in a couple of Scotland squads while at Dundee. It could just be that he's been more highly thought of within Scottish football circles (hence why both Celtic and Hibs wanted him when he left Dundee). 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I don’t think that’s why folk are raging tbh. If he was still at Fundee he would be nowhere near the squad. He hasn’t suddenly became a better player by warming Celtics bench.

He did get called up while he was at Dundee though.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Bain was in a couple of Scotland squads while at Dundee. It could just be that he's been more highly thought of within Scottish football circles (hence why both Celtic and Hibs wanted him when he left Dundee). 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He did get called up while he was at Dundee though.

Kindly refrain from stating facts, please.  This does nothing to strengthen my anti OF* agenda. 

While Bain was at Dundee and got called up, he was seen as being an up and coming goalie. At Celtic, he's seen as a guy who ended up shite at Dundee and now warms Celtic's bench. So it does nothing to harm anyone's anti-OF agenda, and strengthens the idea that McLeish is a fucking loser.

Interesting to look back a year or two to when most were really calling for Strachan's head.  There were a lot of calls to trust home-based players more, that players from England would never be the answer.  Not to say they were totally wrong, and they would have had points, but we're now seeing what the results of calling a lot more players from Scotland are.  

Our talent pool, regardless of where they play, is remarkably short on quality.

18 hours ago, thruthenight said:

Liam Cooper must be scratching his head though.

I was scratching my head watching Leeds ship 4 at the weekend anyway.  Of course one game isn't an accurate reflection of ability, but I can't say I was impressed. The fact he is continually over-looked makes me think there's more to it than simply us not calling him up.  Is he even interested in playing for us?

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
1 hour ago, TurbineTon said:
Said this before on here and called it from his first press conference, but does anyone else thing McLeish isn't well? Some sort of underlying health issue. 

Doesn't seem all there to me. 

I think he's probably either an alcoholic or has been one in the past that has impaired his cognitive ability. Pair this with the stress of being Scotland boss and it's no wonder he labours so much when trying to speak in sentences.

Thanks doc. 

I actually like Bain as a goalkeeper so, generally speaking, don’t object to his call up. His form obviously dipped at the end of his time at Dundee, and he would have been better served going to a club where he’d have been first choice so he could play himself back into form, but ultimately I expect/hope he will show his quality in the end. Craig Gordon has been so poor at times for Celtic over the past year or two, I actually can’t understand how they haven’t dropped him for Bain already.

Calling up Jamie MacDonald is another issue altogether. If McGregor does get injured/suspended, David Marshall would have been the obvious and sensible option to have as back up.

3 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I actually like Bain as a goalkeeper so, generally speaking, don’t object to his call up. His form obviously dipped at the end of his time at Dundee, and he would have been better served going to a club where he’d have been first choice so he could play himself back into form, but ultimately I expect/hope he will show his quality in the end. Craig Gordon has been so poor at times for Celtic over the past year or two, I actually can’t understand how they haven’t dropped him for Bain already.

Calling up Jamie MacDonald is another issue altogether. If McGregor does get injured/suspended, David Marshall would have been the obvious and sensible option to have as back up.

I think david marshall has withdrawn his services for personal reasons, so is not an option

out of the 3 goalies to go to mexico and peru, bain was clearly the one who performed the best, so no real surprise he's been brought in. personally i'd have gone for the livi goalie, but as long as the dreadful archer and some st johnstone flapper don't get called up, its all good

40 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Richard Foster is complaining about not getting called up. Seriously. 

Not at all advocating Foster getting a call up but he does highlight how mental it is that we dont have a right back in the squad at all. 

You'd have thought someone like Liam Palmer at Sheff Wed would be worth a call, even if McLeish plans on playing about 6 people out of position over the 2 games.

Archived