Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

25 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Sorry, I meant that McGregor and Gordon would have expected to save at least a couple of them.  Clark, like most other contenders for third choice, are way behind our top 2 'keepers. What I meant was that Clark's form is hardly an indicator of international quality, or even potential.

How? Because he got absolutely murdered by Celtic? Conveniently forgetting just a few days before that game they'd battered his goal and only scored one goal, which came due to a mammoth defensive error. 

Clark has 8 clean sheets in his last 24 Premiership games. Conceding 36 goals in that time. 6 of those in one match, take that aberration where a defence left him wide open against the best team in the league, and he's conceded 30 in 23. That's incredible for a lower half Premiership team.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I don't  think its the fact he didn't choose Clark. Its its because he's called up an uncapped 32 year old who has been pretty average in Scottish football his entire career and isn't exactly going through a purple patch. I literally can't see any reason to call him up.

MacDonald doesn't need to be made a victim of the fact that we only have two international class goalkeepers. Whether it's MacDonald or Clark is irrelevant, neither would play. It's so obviously not fair to try and make Jamie a poster boy for McLeish' supposed ineptitude. 

Christ,  Scott fucking Bain has filled the 3rd keeper berth. We don't have anyone! 

Christie coming into a rich vein of form. I'd start him as the 10 and use McGregor sitting.
Forrest excellent for Celtic tonight too.
McGregor
Tierney McKenna Mulgrew Robertson
McGinn McGregor
Forrest Christie Fraser
McBurnie

Armstrong, Fletcher and Phillips as good options for impact subs

This is team I would go with. Armstrong being left out is frustrating as he has been brilliant for Scotland over last couple of years but had virtually no game time.

On 08/11/2018 at 16:09, King Kebab said:

Ah, I see, you consider Paterson and Philips to be strikers!!!

Are you Alex McLiesh???

In fairness Warnock has been playing Paterson as a striker at Cardiff for a few weeks now and I think he was Cardiff top scorer last season from midfield, so its not the daft suggestion it sounds. 

Paterson should start up front next week.

O'Donnell is likely out of this game now, so it seems certain that we'll have to go with Tierney at right-back - I'd have done that anyway. We'll be struggling to find another right-back to bring in, it's a real problem position. Maybe put out a wee SOS to Alan Hutton and see if he'll come in for a one off.

I'd definitely have Armstrong and McGregor playing, with one of McGinn or Christie on the bench. I think the previous two Nations League games have further emphasised Armstrong's importance, despite only playing one half. Forrest and Fraser supplying Paterson, with Tierney and Robertson supporting from full-back. Devlin and McKenna as the centre-back pairing.

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Stephen O'Donnell, Charlie Mulgrew and Kevin McDonald out now.

Not too sure who we'll call up for the RB and CM slots but has to be David Bates for CB, can't think of another alternative tbh.

Really not fussed at all about losing any of those three.

Tierney at RB

CB replacement options appear to be Hendry, Hanley (injured?) and Bates. I think McLeish was trying to make a point by dropping Hendry so don't see him coming in. Hanley is maybe injured... so Bates perhaps?

And instead of McDonald - McTominay would seem a natural replacement

scotland-november-3eb11faad7f4929c71b2d94d280fe27a.thumb.jpg.b5f9419b0d0b0fc04a91496aa4ec4ef6.jpg

This is using players only currently available (meaning I'd almost certainly replace Devlin with whoever is called up).  I'd actually like to try Paterson in place of Russell but the site won't let me. 

Hi all. It's nice to see you all. :)

I might not post all that often, as I'm really busy, but rest assured, I am still lurking. :)

McGregor

Devlin. McKenna. Shinnie/Or call up another defender!

Phillips.                Robertson.                Tierney

Fraser.                     McGinn.

Paterson. Fletcher

We must persevere with the 3-5-2 as we simply are not god enough with playing with a back four, even with our first choice central defenders available. We've played with a back four for about 20 years and we have never qualified for a thing. It's time to go back in time and try to replicate what Craig Brown done i.e. forge a decent squad into a cohesive, an organized and a team that was ultimately difficult to beat. Fine, back then we had midfielders of the class of Lambert, McAllister and Collins, and now our midfield is lacking any quality. Pick on the aforementioned midfielders, they are better than all of the midfielders we have available.

We have no midfielder who can take care of the ball and retain position so I'd pick Andrew Robertson. Is it strange asking a full back to play as an anchorman? It happened with Lahm and Alaba, so I'll say no. I think we would all agree that Robertson is our best player. He has the engine, he has quality on the ball (an anchorman doesn't have to pray the ball 40/50 yards) and he has the temperament to play in that position.

Phillips is playing as a right wingback for WBA, so I'd see what he can do.

Fraser isn't a winger, I don't think I've ever seen him beat a man. Plus he isn't as fast as people think. He causes all of his damage when he cuts inside, ala an inside forward.

With Paterson and Fletcher, neither are good enough to play as  a lone striker... for Scotland.

:)

Take care all!

Mentioned before but Danny Fox is well worthy of a squad place these days at centre half. He is a completely different player to when he played for Celtic and even Burnley where he was a left back. For the last couple of seasons he has been transformed into a centre half at Nottingham Forest and is now their first choice centre back and playing very very well in that position and has done for a while now in the games I have seen and the reports I have read. Not advocating he starts for Scotland or anything but well worthy of a Scotland squad place at 32 years old he has a bit more to give you would think.

On a striking note - I see Che Adams scored a hat trick for Birmingham yesterday and he is eligible.....

10 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

McGregor

Tierney Devlin McKenna Robertson

McGregor McGinn

Forrest Christie Fraser

Paterson

All 11 in good form. 

I don't think that team finishes in the top 3  in the Premiership.

McGregor
Tierney Devlin McKenna Robertson
McGregor McGinn
Forrest Christie Fraser
Paterson
All 11 in good form. 
I'd be surprised if that wasn't the team. McLeish might go for Armstrong and McBurnie for Christie and Paterson, but it's the team I'd play.

I don't think that team finishes in the top 3  in the Premiership.

Its essentially a pick of some of the best players in the Scottish Premiership only with Liverpool’s first choice left back, the player with the most assists in the EPL and a striker with three goals in four in that league as well. Not to mention a midfielder who the Scottish champions were priced out of a move for.

Archived