Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

6 minutes ago, Eoin Doyle said:

I agree Clark should have been called up instead of MacDonald. 

I don't get the thinking either.  I doubt either keeper will ever get capped, but in terms of experience, it's rather pointless calling up MacDonald.  But there are several players in the squad who are never going to play, so to that extent it doesn't matter.  It's very hard, though, to avoid the opinion that McLeish is a rotten judge of player.  The only reason I can think of for some of these call ups is that he's trying to get the fans on his side.

He'll probably alienate Jordan Archer as well, at this rate.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems a wee bit of an overreaction here. MacDonald won't play. He's been called up for a position that involves firing warm-up crosses to the second-choice keeper during the warm-up. The ball-boys will be closer to the action than him. 

And Jordan Archer is an utter bombscare.

14 minutes ago, velo army said:

Seems a wee bit of an overreaction here. MacDonald won't play. He's been called up for a position that involves firing warm-up crosses to the second-choice keeper during the warm-up. The ball-boys will be closer to the action than him. 

And Jordan Archer is an utter bombscare.

I don't want to overreact about the third choice 'keeper either, we've had some other bizarre calls in the past for 3rd choice 'keepers as well, but this really is a strange choice. MacDonald doesn't have anything like the all round game to be decent at international level. There's certainly the very good case that the other options aren't good enough either, but McLeish has been talking about building for the future and giving guys a chance in the squad. Our current 'keepers are 36 and 35, if we're bringing in a guy to train with the other 'keepers and fire balls at them in warm up, then surely we pick one of the younger guys.

MacDonald isn't near being the next best 'keeper, and he's also not one of the young options. This type of decision making is a bit troubling, and part of the mixed messages,  incoherent decision making, and muddled thinking of the current management team. It won't have an influence on the upcoming games, but it's not encouraging in the slightest in terms of the vision of McLeish, etc. 

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

I don't want to overreact about the third choice 'keeper either, we've had some other bizarre calls in the past for 3rd choice 'keepers as well, but this really is a strange choice. MacDonald doesn't have anything like the all round game to be decent at international level. There's certainly the very good case that the other options aren't good enough either, but McLeish has been talking about building for the future and giving guys a chance in the squad. Our current 'keepers are 36 and 35, if we're bringing in a guy to train with the other 'keepers and fire balls at them in warm up, then surely we pick one of the younger guys.

MacDonald isn't near being the next best 'keeper, and he's also not one of the young options. This type of decision making is a bit troubling, and part of the mixed messages,  incoherent decision making, and muddled thinking of the current management team. It won't have an influence on the upcoming games, but it's not encouraging in the slightest in terms of the vision of McLeish, etc. 

Good point. I just don't think it merits the outrage on here. It seems that many are just out to beat the Scotland manager with whatever they can find. I've seen and heard it with all managers. I do think he could have brought along, say, McCrorie or Doohan, to give the young chaps a chance, but I'm not sure their development is going to be harmed by not being included in the squad.

I appreciate the objections, but it seems like a storm in a teacup. 

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:
1 hour ago, forameus said:
Poor Scott Fox emoji20.png 

Still has more Scotland call-ups than Zander Clark, to be fair.

You're visiting Perth tomorrow. I will find you.

Jamie MacDonald :lol:

On a par with Samson and Fox in terms of horrific keeping call ups. Really don't see the point in this. Yes, he's not going to play, but he's 32, he's in fairly terrible form even for him so why not give the chance to someone younger like Zander Clark who is playing well and has the chance of being called up in the future. It would give Clark good experience and get him a bit more used to the environment. Plus Clark doesn't shite himself as soon as someone crosses the ball into the box. Another strange, strange choice under McLeish.

11 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Jamie MacDonald :lol:

On a par with Samson and Fox in terms of horrific keeping call ups. Really don't see the point in this. Yes, he's not going to play, but he's 32, he's in fairly terrible form even for him so why not give the chance to someone younger like Zander Clark who is playing well and has the chance of being called up in the future. It would give Clark good experience and get him a bit more used to the environment. Plus Clark doesn't shite himself as soon as someone crosses the ball into the box. Another strange, strange choice under McLeish.

McLeish was out the game for years and it shows. He'll call up a Dundee United player before his times done.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely seething here, Zander Clark is on a record breaking run of clean sheets for us, four in a row, and he's ignored for a 30 year old huddy. 

McLeish is an absolute fanny. 

Is that the same Zander Clark who has shipped 6 goals to Celtic, 5 to Rangers & 4 to QOTS this season already?......

17 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I can't believe that the latest battleground for the anti-McLeish mob is that he hasn't called up Zander Clark.

5 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Is that the same Zander Clark who has shipped 6 goals to Celtic, 5 to Rangers & 4 to QOTS this season already?......

Stunned to see fans of Kilmarnock defending McLeishs increasingly bizarre squad selections.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stunned to see fans of Kilmarnock defending McLeishs increasingly bizarre squad selections.

How am I defending McLeish? I'm merely pointing out that 4 clean sheets doesn't suddenly make a player international class. Some of his goalkeeping, especially in the Celtic game, was comedy gold.

On current form, given his mistakes in the last 3-4 games, McDonald wouldn't have been in my thoughts if I were Scotland manager either.....

Just now, C4mmy31 said:

How am I defending McLeish? I'm merely pointing out that 4 clean sheets doesn't suddenly make a player international class. Some of his goalkeeping, especially in the Celtic game, was comedy gold.

On current form, given his mistakes in the last 3-4 games, McDonald wouldn't have been in my thoughts if I were Scotland manager either.....

Which goal against Celtic was "comedy gold"?

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Which goal against Celtic was "comedy gold"?

I wouldn't say comedy gold, but slow feet and weak hands if we're talking about stepping up at level. I would expect one of our top 2 'keepers to save at least a couple of those. None awful but all saveable by top 'keepers.  

1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

I wouldn't say comedy gold, but slow feet and weak hands if we're talking about stepping up at level. I would expect one of our top 2 'keepers to save at least a couple of those. None awful but all saveable by top 'keepers.  

He's not one of the top two Scottish keepers. McGregor, Gordon and McLaughlin are obviously ahead of him, probably still Marshall too.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's not one of the top two Scottish keepers. McGregor, Gordon and McLaughlin are obviously ahead of him, probably still Marshall too.

Sorry, I meant that McGregor and Gordon would have expected to save at least a couple of them.  Clark, like most other contenders for third choice, are way behind our top 2 'keepers. What I meant was that Clark's form is hardly an indicator of international quality, or even potential.

Eta: It's difficult to get upset about a player of Clark's quality not being picked. 

3 hours ago, Estragon said:

I can't believe that the latest battleground for the anti-McLeish mob is that he hasn't called up Zander Clark.

I don't  think its the fact he didn't choose Clark. Its its because he's called up an uncapped 32 year old who has been pretty average in Scottish football his entire career and isn't exactly going through a purple patch. I literally can't see any reason to call him up.

Archived