Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

37 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Matt Ritchie being terrible in the vast majority of his Scotland appearances is enough of a reason for him never to return to the squad.

I'm a big fan of people who've watched Kevin McDonald's performances in a Scotland shirt saying that playing in the English Premier League means you should get a call up, as if no one in that league could possibly be shite at football.

I'm a big fan of people who think that Premiership players are shite at football unless they put in world class performances every time they appear for Scotland.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Which means Tierney on the bench, or at right back.

Or Robertson at left midfield?

Possible line up:

McGregor - O'Donnell, McKenna, Mulgrew, Tierney - Forrest, McGregor, McGinn, Robertson - Fraser - Fletcher

Either Tierney or Robertson have to play out of position. Robertson, as captain, might be a good bet to take on the responsibility in a different position. Ryan Fraser could ten be deployed in the number 10 role.

6 minutes ago, Iabella Duke said:

Or Robertson at left midfield?

Possible line up:

McGregor - O'Donnell, McKenna, Mulgrew, Tierney - Forrest, McGregor, McGinn, Robertson - Fraser - Fletcher

Either Tierney or Robertson have to play out of position. Robertson, as captain, might be a good bet to take on the responsibility in a different position. Ryan Fraser could ten be deployed in the number 10 role.

Why play a left back out of position when 1. there are half a dozen wingers in the squad and 2. the left back is already complaining that wing back is out of position for him?

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Correct decision by McLeish to ignore St Johnstone diddies like Kerr. If he ever signs for a proper team, like Betfred Cup finalists Aberdeen, then he might get a look in. Until then, he just has to keep plugging away until getting his big move. 

Big teams win Scottish Cups.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Why play a left back out of position when 1. there are half a dozen wingers in the squad and 2. the left back is already complaining that wing back is out of position for him?

You raise valid points.

My suggestion was only in relation as to how to fit them both into the side. In order to do so, at least 1 needs to play out of position.

In saying that, though, the only player in the squad who is regularly playing as a left winger is Ryan Fraser. If Robertson were to play wide left then Fraser could operate as a number 10. Again, out of position but its a position he may thrive in.

Robertson at left midfield might work though. The wing back position mean that Robertson was playing in no man's land, having to cover the whole of the left side. With Tierney behind him it would maybe allow him greater freedom and would also give us greater defensive cover. It would also allow Ryan Fraser freedom in attack.

The great Jack Charlton Ireland side of years gone by regularly played defenders Paul McGrath and Steve Staunton in midfield to great effect.

Just an idea. :)

Seems to be an awful lot of posts stating the reliance we will have on Fraser, he might get an injury on the road up!!!

19 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Seems to be an awful lot of posts stating the reliance we will have on Fraser, he might get an injury on the road up!!!

Yes, I won't be counting the chickens until he's actually made it on to the park.

Wrap him in cotton wool tbh

34 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Breaking news: apparently he has trapped his finger in a toilet door of the Little Chef on the M6 and is now heading back down to Bournemouth for treatment by club physios 

Breaking news: apparently he has trapped his finger in a toilet door of the Little Chef on the M6 and is now heading back down to Bournemouth for treatment by club physios 

It’s not even as if he’s particularly good. It’s just that he’s not Stephen O’Donnell.

You can criticise a lot of aspects of O'Donnell's previous two performances, but it's ludicrous to have a go at his pace or his fitness.

Don’t talk shite hes was poor in the last two games and he’s far to slow for a right back at international level

2 hours ago, Iabella Duke said:

You raise valid points.

My suggestion was only in relation as to how to fit them both into the side. In order to do so, at least 1 needs to play out of position.

In saying that, though, the only player in the squad who is regularly playing as a left winger is Ryan Fraser. If Robertson were to play wide left then Fraser could operate as a number 10. Again, out of position but its a position he may thrive in.

Robertson at left midfield might work though. The wing back position mean that Robertson was playing in no man's land, having to cover the whole of the left side. With Tierney behind him it would maybe allow him greater freedom and would also give us greater defensive cover. It would also allow Ryan Fraser freedom in attack.

The great Jack Charlton Ireland side of years gone by regularly played defenders Paul McGrath and Steve Staunton in midfield to great effect.

Just an idea. :)

Robertson's best performances come at left back when he has a player in front of him.  With a winger playing in front of him occupying the defender, it allows him to overlap freely and get balls in the box. Tierney is the same, he looks excellent bombing up the wing because defenders are occupied with other players and he can come from deep.  Moving either player to left wing would take away that threat IMO, while also keeping arguably one of our best players in Fraser out of the team.

Robertson is the best left back we have, Tierney is the second best. Let them push each other for the same position. This notion that we can't possibly leave one of them out because they're both quite good doesn't really wash for me.

42 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Robertson's best performances come at left back when he has a player in front of him.  With a winger playing in front of him occupying the defender, it allows him to overlap freely and get balls in the box. Tierney is the same, he looks excellent bombing up the wing because defenders are occupied with other players and he can come from deep.  Moving either player to left wing would take away that threat IMO, while also keeping arguably one of our best players in Fraser out of the team.

Robertson is the best left back we have, Tierney is the second best. Let them push each other for the same position. This notion that we can't possibly leave one of them out because they're both quite good doesn't really wash for me.

Fair comment.

In my post though, I did still have Fraser in the team.

Also, if I were manager, I wouldn't allow my full backs to get forward or overlap so, if I were manager, those qualities wouldn't matter!

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Pretty much what I was away to type. If you have to shoe horn them  both onto the park I'd much rather see Tierney at RB than anywhere else. 

3 minutes ago, Iabella Duke said:

Fair comment.

In my post though, I did still have Fraser in the team.

Also, if I were manager, I wouldn't allow my full backs to get forward or overlap so, if I were manager, those qualities wouldn't matter!

Moving Fraser centrally is the same as moving Robertson or Tierney forward, takes away their best attacking threat.

All I can say is I'm glad you aren't the gaffer if you don't want Andy Robertson crossing the half way line! :P

Archived