Scotland v Portugal

buddies1877

16 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, it's been the case for years.  Look good at 0-0 or even 1-0 up, then as soon as the other team scores, its a case of how many.

There's zero fight from the players when they lose a goal.  I don't think its for any lack of ability, they just don't seem confident (arsed for a small minority) as soon as they pull on a Scotland shirt.

There might be something in what Robertson was saying.  The majority of our support are incredibly fickle.  When it's going well, we'll flock in our tens of thousands, and we can make even Hampden into a great atmosphere.  But things start to go badly and most will very quickly turn on any target.  Even when we win, as we saw against Albania, it was all about "well, the opposition were shite".  Maybe the players are so deathly afraid of the stick they're getting that when things start to turn, they just shite themselves?

Now that's not to say I blame the fans completely, far from it.  If the players we have aren't strong enough to put that kind of stuff to the back of their mind, then what's the point in them being there?  I think we could be more patient at times, but we really need to get someone - whether it be a coach on the current management team, or a new regime altogether - that can work on that.  Professional footballers at an international level shouldn't turn into absolute wrecks so easily, and certainly shouldn't look so absolutely lost.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, forameus said:

There might be something in what Robertson was saying.  The majority of our support are incredibly fickle.  When it's going well, we'll flock in our tens of thousands, and we can make even Hampden into a great atmosphere.  But things start to go badly and most will very quickly turn on any target.  Even when we win, as we saw against Albania, it was all about "well, the opposition were shite".  Maybe the players are so deathly afraid of the stick they're getting that when things start to turn, they just shite themselves?

Now that's not to say I blame the fans completely, far from it.  If the players we have aren't strong enough to put that kind of stuff to the back of their mind, then what's the point in them being there?  I think we could be more patient at times, but we really need to get someone - whether it be a coach on the current management team, or a new regime altogether - that can work on that.  Professional footballers at an international level shouldn't turn into absolute wrecks so easily, and certainly shouldn't look so absolutely lost.

I think we have the resources of a small country and the mentality of a much bigger one. That's quite a dangerous mix.

15 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

I think we have the resources of a small country and the mentality of a much bigger one. That's quite a dangerous mix.

Mostly fans and journalists in Scotland comparing ourselves to English football all the time.  Something only a total halfwit would do.

It’s not too much to ask for us to at least look like a coherent side when tackling an opponent barely ranked in the top 100 surely?

5 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

It’s not too much to ask for us to at least look like a coherent side when tackling an opponent barely ranked in the top 100 surely?

Folk moaned their heads off through pretty much the entirety of Strachan's tenure, when we rarely lost to a side ranked lower than us (just Georgia, really).

To be fair, we always rarely drop points to teams lower than us.  It's just we save it for the least opportune time when it really matters.

EDIT: In fact, since I'm a pure VL and I'm having a lunch, I'll have a look back.  Excluding friendlies, because who cares, the number of times we've dropped points to a team ranked lower than us...

Current Campaign - 1 (Israel/-55)
WC 2018 - 1 (Lithuania/-73)
Euro 2016 - 4 (Poland/-4, ROI/-32, Poland/-41, Georgia/-122)
WC 2014 - 2 (Wales,-4, Macedonia, -57)

Happened more often than I realised, but the two Poland results are harsh to be in there, as they were artificially low (and it was two fairly creditable draws (that should have been wins)).  We basically have one absolute rick in us every campaign (Lithuania, Georgia x2 etc) so hopefully we've had ours this time around.

Archived