Scotland v Portugal

buddies1877

Guest Bob Mahelp
17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I really like him. He should be in the squad and has a part to play, just think going forward Griffiths needs to play every single game and get a good run in the side. Obviously needs to get himself in shape first.

Griffiths has 19 caps for Scotland and has scored 4 goals (2 of them in same game with free-kicks).

In pretty much none of these 19 games has he shown anything to suggest that he's an international class striker (aside from 2 free kicks). His club manager doesn't trust him in European games, or pretty much any big game actually. 

He's 28, and there's plenty of evidence to suggest he'll never get any better. He seems happy in his comfort zone and is just waiting out his time until he gets his move to Hibs so can end his career drinking with his mates.

Why do people think Griffiths should be an automatic first pick for Scotland, and why does he deserve a 'good run' in the side ?

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Rodgers has decided to put Griffiths on in Europe, he normally repays that with goals. So we can't really use Rodgers' idiocy here. What we can use is Griffiths' own hissy fit and say that he shouldn't be selected again because he's not good enough to get away with shite like that.

The only thing that sets Griffiths apart is the fact that he was once a fairly successful Scottish player that wasn't getting picked.  It happened with Steven Fletcher and Jordan Rhodes too.  Nothing does the profile of a Scotland player more good than not being picked.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not really fussed, Naismith should only be in the squad for his experience. Shouldn't be our number 1 striker.

Surely it’s a matter of picking on form players, especially strikers?

Griffiths can’t even get a start for his club at the moment, plus his attitude regarding selection for the Scottish team stinks 

He’s another Derek Riordan in the making imo

23 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Griffiths can’t even get a start for his club at the moment, plus his attitude regarding selection for the Scottish team stinks 

Started the last 5 games m8. 

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Griffiths has 19 caps for Scotland and has scored 4 goals (2 of them in same game with free-kicks).

In pretty much none of these 19 games has he shown anything to suggest that he's an international class striker (aside from 2 free kicks). His club manager doesn't trust him in European games, or pretty much any big game actually. 

He's 28, and there's plenty of evidence to suggest he'll never get any better. He seems happy in his comfort zone and is just waiting out his time until he gets his move to Hibs so can end his career drinking with his mates.

Why do people think Griffiths should be an automatic first pick for Scotland, and why does he deserve a 'good run' in the side ?

1. If Griffiths is waiting to go back to Hibs, why did he just sign a four-year contract with Celtic?

2. He's scored four goals in his last five competitive starts for Scotland. 

In fairness, Naismith has again shown himself to be a useful option this season.

3 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

1. If Griffiths is waiting to go back to Hibs, why did he just sign a four-year contract with Celtic?

In fairness, Naismith has again shown himself to be a useful option this season.

Chris Martin's managed 2 in his last 3 starts, but I don't see people clamouring for him to be involved anymore.  You can pick out any stat to make someone look good, it's almost like you need a little bit more to make a case for them.

Because he is clearly the best player for that position.

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

1. You just proved my point. This 4 year contract with Celtic is the last big money of his career.He'll be happy for the next few seasons being under no pressure, scoring a few goals against Motherwell and the likes and being used from time to time as a sub. in big games. Then he'll be off to Easter Road where he can kiss the badge every week and wave to his pals.

2. Fair enough, and I certainly don't advocate dropping Griffiths out of the picture completely. For me though, he has never proven himself to be an international class striker...too inconsistent, too lightweight, too prone to dropping out of the game for long periods. 

Two international managers think the same obviously, and even his club manager no longer sees him as a first choice in big games. At this moment in time, Naismith is well ahead of him for a starting place. 

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Because he is clearly the best player for that position.

For me there's nothing clear about it.  If he played to the best of his ability, and the players behind him played to his game, he would be the clear choice.  But if Jordan Rhodes had been as good as the early promise suggested, he'd likely still be in there.  Chris Martin also had the potential to be the one we were looking for, but could never replicate his Championship form for Scotland.  

At best, he's as good an option as what we have.  And that's being generous.

For me there's nothing clear about it.  If he played to the best of his ability, and the players behind him played to his game, he would be the clear choice.  But if Jordan Rhodes had been as good as the early promise suggested, he'd likely still be in there.  Chris Martin also had the potential to be the one we were looking for, but could never replicate his Championship form for Scotland.  
At best, he's as good an option as what we have.  And that's being generous.

Can't remember anyone thinking Chris Martin was going to be a big player for us. There was a load of hype around Rhodes, I got excited, he surely should still be in the squad? Griffiths was overlooked for so long. We played our best stuff when he finally got a start and a run starting.

He's got more ability than the rest of our strikers put together, he's not fit at the moment and he needs to fix that, but when he is fit are you really trying to say he isn't the clear starter when he's up against the likes of Naismith/McBurnie/Martin/Russell etc?

Nobody else is even coming to mind, Russell isn't even really a striker. Fletcher and Rhodes seem like they'll never get back in, Phillips has played upfront recently but he isn't a striker either. I'm sure Phillips and Forest actually played upfront together in Hungary..? McBurnie is absolute pipe. There's nobody in the 21s aside from Hornby who's playing for Everton's under 23s.

Griffiths is by far and away the best striker we have, id put Naismith in as a clear second too.

4 minutes ago, an86 said:

For the most part, we look a half decent side until we concede a goal and then we just completely fold. Soft as shite.

Yep, it's been the case for years.  Look good at 0-0 or even 1-0 up, then as soon as the other team scores, its a case of how many.

There's zero fight from the players when they lose a goal.  I don't think its for any lack of ability, they just don't seem confident (arsed for a small minority) as soon as they pull on a Scotland shirt.

Strongest team imo is:
Gordon
Someone Devlin McKenna Robertson
McGinn Shinnie
Fraser McGregor GMS
Griffiths

Although you have made a few hilarious selections, Devlin at the top of the list. I do agree with your choice of formation with McGinn and Shinnie at CM. I think Shinnie is being criminally overlooked and brings something nobody else does.

For me the strongest team is:
Mcgregor
Tierney McKenna Mulgrew Robertson
McGinn Shinnie
Fraser/Forrest Armstrong McGregor
Griffiths/Naismith

Would have souttar as first choice back up at CB and Jack Harper is a must for a call up too.

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can't remember anyone thinking Chris Martin was going to be a big player for us. There was a load of hype around Rhodes, I got excited, he surely should still be in the squad? Griffiths was overlooked for so long. We played our best stuff when he finally got a start and a run starting.

He's got more ability than the rest of our strikers put together, he's not fit at the moment and he needs to fix that, but when he is fit are you really trying to say he isn't the clear starter when he's up against the likes of Naismith/McBurnie/Martin/Russell etc?

Nobody else is even coming to mind, Russell isn't even really a striker. Fletcher and Rhodes seem like they'll never get back in, Phillips has played upfront recently but he isn't a striker either. I'm sure Phillips and Forest actually played upfront together in Hungary..? McBurnie is absolute pipe. There's nobody in the 21s aside from Hornby who's playing for Everton's under 23s.

Griffiths is by far and away the best striker we have, id put Naismith in as a clear second too.

When he's fit and on form, of course.  I said that.  But he's neither fit, nor on form, and him taking the huff is not a good look.  And if we cave into it this time, I imagine he's the type of personality who would do it again if he got away with it once.  

With all players playing on the same level in terms of form and fitness, Griffiths is the best by a little bit.  But at this stage that's like saying you had a cold, but at least it's not flu.  Neither is really going to light up the place, and I can't see either of them being the sort of figure that N. Ireland had in David Healy, or Kyle Lafferty.

And when I mentioned Chris Martin, I meant that he had a very good record in the Championship, and so we could have been forgiven for thinking he could translate that to us.  He didn't (although to be fair early on he was getting chucked on when we were already fucked).  Rhodes was similar, but offered far less on the pitch, and we hardly have the sort of side that can carry a passenger in that way.  When he stopped being able to put away the sort of chances he was getting - and scoring - in the Championship, it was clear it wasn't working.

Archived