Scotland v Portugal

buddies1877

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, charger29 said:

I believe you're right. It's head to head then goal difference in the tied teams matches. Albania result isn't vital now. We have to beat Israel in the last game no matter what.

Win vs Albania = We need to win vs Israel

Draw vs Albania = We need to win vs Israel

Lose vs Albania = We need to win vs Israel and overturn the goal difference (Lose by 1 goal to Albania, need to beat Israel by 2.....Lose by 2 goal to Albania, need to beat Israel by 3).Brain hurts thinking about this bit

Albania RB and CM suspended. They really need to hammer us to have any chance.

Wow - did not know it was head to head....sh1t. 

Still it would help to beat Albania as I would rather we did not need to beat Israel by 2 goals or more. 

If we win our 2 games then it doesn't matter about other results.

I actually think we'll be fine against Israel because it's at home. 1 or 2 nil win for us. Maybe 2-1. It's the Albania away game that will be the decider, and I have the fear about that big time.

Fucking hell, that first goal.

Hendry was shouting at O'Donnell to cover the unmarked guy who put the cross in, yet he (O'Donnell) just left him and allowed him, pretty much unchallenged, to cross for the goal. Amatuer

Whatever happens we need to beat Israel. We'll either be behind on points, or if we beat Albania equal on points with them but drawing would seem them prevail on head-to-head.

However if Albania beat us we need to beat Israel to force a 3-way tie... in which before KO at Hampden the Israeli GD would be +2, ours 0 (or worse) and Albania's -2 (or better).

EDIT: Worth recalling that beating Albania would help us significantly with 1st place ranking (top 2 = seeded + home tie in playoff SFs), or 2nd place ranking if don't beat Israel (top 2 = 3rd pot for qualifiers).

People forget we'd need to win 2 playoffs with neither 2-legged. Long way off but wouldn't necessarily back us to win away in Finland, Greece, Bulgaria, Norway, Serbia, Montenegro, Romania, wherever.

Getting away from the ghoulish McLeish-bashing, I thought one of the most worrying aspects of today's game was just how short of the required standard McBurnie looked. 

He should have been treating this game like a golden opportunity but looked only half-interested. His first touch was alarmingly bad and he didn't do one thing in the entire game of note. Really disappointing as it shows just how few out and out strikers we have who are even close to the mark.

Getting away from the ghoulish McLeish-bashing, I thought one of the most worrying aspects of today's game was just how short of the required standard McBurnie looked. 
He should have been treating this game like a golden opportunity but looked only half-interested. His first touch was alarmingly bad and he didn't do one thing in the entire game of note. Really disappointing as it shows just how few out and out strikers we have who are even close to the mark.

Far too lazy. Never seemed interested. First goal comes from the fact he has no first touch.

49 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Wow - did not know it was head to head....sh1t. 

Still it would help to beat Albania as I would rather we did not need to beat Israel by 2 goals or more. 

Presumably a draw in albania would also put us in that position.

Edit to add is there any plave for away goals i.e. would a 1-0 win over Israel put us ahead of them?  Apologies if this discussed already

I can't stand him he's absolutely gash.

1 hour ago, sammyreidloyal said:

We stink. We are adrift in the ocean of worldwide football and there are no lifeboats.

The national football is past crisis, it’s deceased.

We're calculating what results we need among Albania and fucking Israel :lol:

:bairn

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I watched the game and was very frustrated by it, but I also get McLeish's point. Look at the match stats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45173871

Even possession, 11 shots each. 2 or maybe all 3 of their goals were brainfarts from our best players available for their respective positions for this match. 

We looked decent in the first half. Second half we lost our way, tho, definitely.

Stats are no worth a f**k. 72.5% of them are made up anyway. I prefer to judge my games by how many times the entertainment in front of me has got my arse off the seat in anticipation of the ball hitting the net for my team. No one in that stadium enjoyed that game tonight.  1/2 the crowd probably wished they hadn't bought tickets so they could have stayed at home.. That after match interview tells you all you need know about Eck.  Unbelievable. 

53 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Fucking hell, that first goal.

Hendry was shouting at O'Donnell to cover the unmarked guy who put the cross in, yet he (O'Donnell) just left him and allowed him, pretty much unchallenged, to cross for the goal. Amatuer

There's a case to be made that every Portugal goal was in part some way O'Donnell's fault.

1) He's miles away from the winger when the ball goes in. Also Robertson partly at fault being slower to react than the goalscorer.

2) Albeit a collective goatfuck, O'Donnell was the marker.

3) Got to accept some blame on the part of McKenna and Shinnie, but the goal came from their left wing, and O'Donnell was nowhere to found. That left Shinnie scrambling to cover on his wrong foot. Can't argue against McKenna playing the boy onside though. One blip in an otherwise strong game from the Dons lads. GMS made up for it though.

Strongest team imo is:

Gordon

Someone Devlin McKenna Robertson

McGinn Shinnie

Fraser McGregor GMS

Griffiths

Right back is a really sore spot. Despite the above, I think O'Donnell is probably the best right back we have. Unless we go down the road of playing Tierney there.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbf last goal is not his fault he was up the line hoping to receive a pass off of Hendry. Hendry decided he wanted to try a mazy though and failed miserably

In fairness, you're probably correct.

Haven't had the luxury of watching highlights as yet, and at the time all I could think was..."here we go, Shinnie covering on his wrong foot, this is going to look bad for Aberdeen, he's never goin...goal".

18 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Strongest team imo is:

Gordon

Someone Devlin McKenna Robertson

McGinn Shinnie

Fraser McGregor GMS

Griffiths

Right back is a really sore spot. Despite the above, I think O'Donnell is probably the best right back we have. Unless we go down the road of playing Tierney there.

As you said your opinion albiet there is a bit of "red blinkers" I suspect.

I`d include McGregor instead of Gordon. 

Tierney for "someone"

Armstrong for Shinnie. 

Forrest for GMS, playing McGregor on left and Fraser in middle of the three.

i don`t know enough about Devlin. I wouldn`t pick Hendry,  I guess that leaves it between Souttar and Mulgrew or Devlin..

Archived