GordonS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Steve Archibald: Barcelona (Spain)
Jim Bett: Lokern (Belgium)
Eric Black: Metz (France)
Scott Booth: Borussia Dortmund(Germany)/FC Utrecht/Vitesse Arnhem (Netherlands)
Kris Boyd: Eskisehirspor (Turkey)/Portland Timbers (USA)
Oliver Burke: RB Leipzig (Germany)
John Collins: Monaco (France/Monaco)
Steven Fletcher: Marseille[loan] (France)
Alan Hutton: Mallorca[loan] (Spain)
Allan Johnston: Rennes (France)
Joe Jordan: Milan (Italy)
Paul Lambert: Borussia Dortmund (Germany)
Denis Law: Torino (Italy)
Murdo MacLeod: Borussia Dortmund (Germany)
Mark McGhee: Hamburg (Germany)
Alan McInally: Bayern Munich (Germany)
Allan McGregor: Besiktas (Turkey)
Shaun Maloney: Chicago Fire (USA)
Kenny Miller: Bursaspor (Turkey)/Vancouver Whitecaps (USA/Canada)
Garry O'Connor: Lokomotiv Moscow (Russia)
Brian O'Neil: Wolfsburg (Germany)
Barry Robson: Vancouver Whitecaps (USA/Canada)
Johnny Russell: Sporting Kansas City (USA)
Graeme Souness: West Adelaide[loan] (Australia)/Sampdoria (Italy)

Think that's the lot (and one or two I mighta got wrong)

Well that's the game over lads. 

Were you the kind of wean that would blow out the candles on other kids' birthday cakes? 

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Yeah, it's a combination of a relatively strong league (no other countries our size have a Celtic or Rangers), a historically very strong league, not the best national team since footballers started moving around European in big numbers and a major country next door with over 100 full time teams.

But I still reckon British and Irish players move abroad less than most other nationalities.

Ireland has hundreds of players plying their trade abroad

1 hour ago, Bandstand said:

Ireland has hundreds of players plying their trade abroad

By abroad, as with the topic title, I meant furren places. Culturally, linguistically and in sport Ireland is extremely close to the UK. If you want to disagree, have a look at how many Irish players are playing in the UK, and how many are playing in France, Spain, Germany...

41 minutes ago, GordonS said:

By abroad, as with the topic title, I meant furren places. Culturally, linguistically and in sport Ireland is extremely close to the UK.

You might be surprised to find there's a degree of dispute about this...

8 minutes ago, Estragon said:

You might be surprised to find there's a degree of dispute about this...

I love Ireland, I'm seriously considering moving there permanently next year, I'd never use terms like "British Isles" and I'd be the last to disrespect them. All my mum's side are Egans from Donegal. But I don't think that anyone can reasonably disagree with what I said - and the fact that there are hundreds of Irish footballers in the UK and hardly any anywhere else kinda supports that.

Having said that, on sport they're not as close as I suggested because of the scale of GAA games. But on, em, soccer, rugby, golf etc they're very close.

Scottish players tend to get forgotten about when they go abroad because we arbitrarly decide that the league they play in must be pish.

Craig Brewster never capped despite leaving Ionikos as a club legend. 

Barry Douglas was ignored for years whilst winning a title in Poland then moving to Turkey but suddenly gets into a squad the instant he moved back to the UK. I didn't watch him abroad but no-one is going to tell me that he suddenly became a better player when he signed for Wolves.

Ziggy Gordon capped at Under 19 level then moved to Poland..... Ok maybe not him.:lol:

On 12/10/2018 at 07:04, GordonS said:

I love Ireland, I'm seriously considering moving there permanently next year, I'd never use terms like "British Isles" and I'd be the last to disrespect them. All my mum's side are Egans from Donegal. But I don't think that anyone can reasonably disagree with what I said - and the fact that there are hundreds of Irish footballers in the UK and hardly any anywhere else kinda supports that.

Having said that, on sport they're not as close as I suggested because of the scale of GAA games. But on, em, soccer, rugby, golf etc they're very close.

"British isles" is a geographical term not a Political term.

The Republic of Ireland, whilst a sovereign state is geographically part of the British isles just like the British isles is part of Europe geographically......even after Brexit!

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

"British isles" is a geographical term not a Political term.

The Republic of Ireland, whilst a sovereign state is geographically part of the British isles just like the British isles is part of Europe geographically......even after Brexit!

And who gets to decide what the geographical term is? You? The Irish are a big chunk of the archipelago and they don't like the term, for good reason as it only relates to one of the islands, so I respect that.

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

And who gets to decide what the geographical term is? You? The Irish are a big chunk of the archipelago and they don't like the term, for good reason as it only relates to one of the islands, so I respect that.

How do you explain the terms "Europe" or any of the other Continents then? Oceans? I'd hate to offend the Pacific as to where it ends and the Atlantic begins!

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/continent/

As you'll see in the link, numerous factors decide what defines geographical terms but let's not argue "offence" on account of Irishness whilst happily lumping into the melting pot of cultures of Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Poland etc etc under the geographical term "Europe"

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 23:04, GordonS said:

I love Ireland, I'm seriously considering moving there permanently next year,

I'm surprised - that'll cost you more than your mythical £18

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Do you understand what "geographical" means?

1 hour ago, sjc said:

How do you explain the terms "Europe" or any of the other Continents then? Oceans? I'd hate to offend the Pacific as to where it ends and the Atlantic begins!

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/continent/

As you'll see in the link, numerous factors decide what defines geographical terms but let's not argue "offence" on account of Irishness whilst happily lumping into the melting pot of cultures of Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Poland etc etc under the geographical term "Europe"

Europe's an easy one that everyone agrees on. There's no question that it's been imposed on anyone or diminishes any place or people. It's not like the continent is called 'Greater Germania' or anything.

What's Bombay called now? Or Peking? What do the French call the English Channel? What's the name of that wee city on Loch Foyle? Didn't we have a war over Las Malvinas? What do the Greeks call Macedonia? Uluru or Ayres Rock? Denali or Mount McKinlay?

I've met  people from the USA and France who say I shouldn't be bothered when they use the term England to mean the whole of Britain, cos most of it is England anyway.

Geographic place names ARE political, if people from one place are giving a name to another place. The fact is, you're coming from a British perspective and imposing that on others. The British Isles were only first called that in the 16th century by the Tudors. The term is falling out of favour fast and it's best to drop it.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do you understand what "geographical" means?

Yes. It's literally an irrelevant point though. See above.

Just now, GordonS said:

I think you're massively over thinking things tbh.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Europe's an easy one that everyone agrees on. There's no question that it's been imposed on anyone or diminishes any place or people. It's not like the continent is called 'Greater Germania' or anything.

What's Bombay called now? Or Peking? What do the French call the English Channel? What's the name of that wee city on Loch Foyle? Didn't we have a war over Las Malvinas? What do the Greeks call Macedonia? Uluru or Ayres Rock? Denali or Mount McKinlay?

I've met  people from the USA and France who say I shouldn't be bothered when they use the term England to mean the whole of Britain, cos most of it is England anyway.

Geographic place names ARE political, if people from one place are giving a name to another place. The fact is, you're coming from a British perspective and imposing that on others. The British Isles were only first called that in the 16th century by the Tudors. The term is falling out of favour fast and it's best to drop it.

Perhaps we should just go back to the Jurassic terms as "Ireland" is a Political insult to "Hibernia" and so on and so forth.......I personally don't give a f**k about geographical, political, ethnic, religious or whatever terms as they don't define me. As the great Mick Dundee says, it's like two fleas arguing who owns the dog!

Actually Gordon, I can call you Gordon can't I? It's not your slave name is it? Cassius? Mohamed? Malcolm X perhaps? Anyway.....out of interest, what do you call the USA or Australia? I presume you wouldn't want to insult the Native "Americans" or Aborigines?

Archived