SPFL reject idea to remove plastic pitches from top divison

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

compare it to other European top leagues though

Agreed - we have between 3 and four weeks in the premiership - nothing in the other leagues as far as I know - compared to the four plus months of winter this year

14 minutes ago, Jambo: First Blood said:

3 weeks break isn't far from what other leagues do.

Most of those leagues don't have two domestic cup competitions either. 

And no other leagues play each other four times. Actually I seem to recall that both Poland and Austria Have a break lasting all of January and most of February.  Austria also include half of December I think. Overkill really as when I stayed in Austria they had snow but not much in the way of rain which was just as well as the drainage in Vienna was so appalling that there were special permits needed for burial so as not to affect the pollute the  water table.

46 minutes ago, Durnford said:

And no other leagues play each other four times. Actually I seem to recall that both Poland and Austria Have a break lasting all of January and most of February.  Austria also include half of December I think. Overkill really as when I stayed in Austria they had snow but not much in the way of rain which was just as well as the drainage in Vienna was so appalling that there were special permits needed for burial so as not to affect the pollute the  water table.

Considering you seem to know a lot about the Austrian winter break, you'd think you'd also know that they play each other 4 times. As do Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Georgia, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Ukraine and Wales.

In other words, 28 of the 54 UEFA members with national leagues have clubs playing each other four times.

A winter break is all very well on paper but when do you schedule it? Look at last winter - the country was paralysed by snow at the end of February. Only for a couple of days. true. but nobody could have predicted that in July when the fixtures were being drawn up.

4 hours ago, Durnford said:

The point of winter breaks isn't generally just to avoid bad weather, although tat is one of the pluses.

It allows players to recharge their batteries a bit, to shake off niggling injuries and to reinvigorate themselves for the second half of the season, rather than just slogging through the whole season. It also allows coaches real time to work with their teams on areas they have identified during the season without the distraction of games. It's a mini-pre-season.

I think we should have a six-week winter break start the season earlier.

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The Betfred kicked off in mid July

If you start the season much earlier then the winter break becomes no shorter than the summer one

That's the idea.

We should be using as much of the summer as we can.

The penciled in plan for Kilmarnock is to rip the 3G up in the summer and relay it at the new training ground we're building. The pitch has allowed us to save on the exorbitant training costs at Garscube and then use that money to help build said training ground - more clubs who are forced into renting training facilities should lay 3G and do likewise.

We'll either recommit to the 3G or go back to grass at the end of this season as the shelf-life for competitive football on it will be up, but there's no doubting that it's been a net positive for us so far. If we get the site where the Powerleague is currently then we'll go back to grass for next season as less work needs done for the new facilities. If we have to go with one of the sites at Fenwick Moor/Dundonald/Annandale then I think we'll end up sticking with 3G for at least two more seasons. Which is fine by me if it keeps getting under the skin of simpletons. 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Considering you seem to know a lot about the Austrian winter break, you'd think you'd also know that they play each other 4 times. As do Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Georgia, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Ukraine and Wales.

In other words, 28 of the 54 UEFA members with national leagues have clubs playing each other four times.

I thought the question was about top European leagues?

How many teams does Andora; Cyprus (presumably you're talking West Cyprus?} and Montenegro have - I'd be surprised if they only played each other four times a year. As for the rest how many of them have a winter sufficient to affect the schedule?

As for the Danish side they have 14 sides in their top league and last season played a total of 26 games before the split

Several of the leagues listed are mid-ranking ones which are roughly on a par with Scotland (Austria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Israel, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Ukraine).

The Andorran league has 8 teams, the Cypriot league has 12 teams and the Montenegrin league has 10 teams. They all play each other four times per year. There isn't a single league in Europe where sides play each other more than four times per year.

Some of the countries have similar winters to us and some don't. And yes, the Danish league play 26 games before their split, but I'm not sure why that's relevant.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

I thought the question was about top European leagues?

How many teams does Andora; Cyprus (presumably you're talking West Cyprus?} and Montenegro have - I'd be surprised if they only played each other four times a year. As for the rest how many of them have a winter sufficient to affect the schedule?

As for the Danish side they have 14 sides in their top league and last season played a total of 26 games before the split

West Cyprus? 

On 11/10/2018 at 14:05, cmontheloknow said:

The Dutch can lose their artificial surfaces, for sure, but I assume they have a better supply of these in their communities? Quite often, the artificial surfaces we're talking about in Scotland are a valuable community amenity. Our weather is also different to that in the Netherlands, being colder and wetter. We therefore have a greater need to use them.

In terms of numbers, 50% of L1 use them. 30% of L2, 8/20 in L1/2. Another 30% in Championship - 11/30 sides (if my counting is accurate!)

Generally yes, but it surprised me to learn that it rains more in Amsterdam than in Edinburgh.

Of potentially more relevance for the growth of grass is that, during the season, it's considerably darker in Scotland.

Archived