SPFL reject idea to remove plastic pitches from top divison

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Central Europe has colder weather than Scotland. The fact professional players vote stadiums with plastic the worst to play on should tell you all you need to know. As for cost if you can't get the basics right , strip, boots , ball , pitch then you should not exist. My opinion of course the majority defending plastic are the supporters of clubs that have them. 

You'll probably have more in the championship next season, so get used to them.

1 hour ago, stepek 4 tellys said:

Almost all young kids coming through the system have been brought up playing on artificial surfaces and as someone who has coached at youth level they preferred playing on them rather than grass especially in winter. 

This is true to a certain extent. In my experience  the kids that excelled didn't mind what surface they played on until it got a bit frosty, they preferred grass then. The less technical players preferred astro because they preferred not to get dirty, the precious wee souls that they were.

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Austria, Germany, Poland , Switzerland, England.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Is that the same Swiss league whose champions Young Boys have been playing on an artificial pitch in the Champions League?

YB, FC Thun, Grasshoppers, FC Zürich, and Neuchatel Xamax all play on artifical surfaces. That's 50% of the top division. Based on the current league positions that includes top, second, fourth, second bottom and bottom of the league.

Of the clubs using grass, Basel are loaded and can spend a fortune to keep their ground in shape, Luzern and St Gallen had stadiums built for them for the Euros a decade or so ago and have top end facilities available to maintain them, and Lugano and Sion both have tremendous weather most of the year, along with a 2 month winter break to let it avoid the worst of what they try to call a winter in those parts.

40 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

This is true to a certain extent. In my experience  the kids that excelled didn't mind what surface they played on until it got a bit frosty, they preferred grass then. The less technical players preferred astro because they preferred not to get dirty, the precious wee souls that they were.

Haha, so true. I remember one wee laddie ask to come off because it was raining and the grass was getting muddy and he didn't want to get any on his shorts :lol:

Also why do so many clubs train on them if they cause loads of injuries and have dodgy bounces and if they cause the ball run away from players?

Doesn't sound like the best way to train.

22 hours ago, JTS98 said:

We've been playing decent football this season. Passing well, making chances, scoring goals, playing with pace.

Everyone I know who went to Rugby Park said it was rubbish.

Your own GRASS pitch should have given you an advantage against Livingston who play/train exclusively on astro....

21 hours ago, bennett said:

Team plays on a pitch which makes football impossible and hugely benefits the home team...

Our goal was from good football played on the deck...must try harder

20 hours ago, Detournement said:

Motherwell have proven that if you invest properly in a pitch you can have a good surface all year round.

Motherwell are an established premiership club with a decent bit of money behind them....Livi are running with what is probably close to a league 1 budget

5 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

How anyone can defend artificial plastic pitches is mind boggling. There is a reason why the top leagues all over Europe don't use them. 

As has been mentioned a lot of clubs in top leagues around Europe are using artificial pitches.

20 hours ago, paddymcp said:

It makes our top league look amateurish and all the the players seemingly hate playing on them. The damned statistics on injuries is all rather irelevent. We are selling a product and most fans and players dont like playing/watching football on them. For they reasons  only grass pitches in the top league IMO.

We live in a country where it seems rain more often than not and we get weather warnings regularly for rain/snow etc with temperatures rarely out of the low single digits for a good chunk of the year but we don't have a winter break, we are one of the only nations have a split in the top league, our national side hasn't qualified for a major tournament in over 20 years and just last night were humbled by fucking Israel, our FA backtracked on putting one of the best footballers to grace the Scottish game into the Hall of Fame because it annoyed some of the top brass, our national stadium is a joke, blatant kicks, elbows, stamps and dives have been ruled by FA compliance officers as requiring no action yet players are being sent off when no contact is made, the 2 biggest teams in our showpiece league can't sit in a stadium together for 20 minutes without resorting to sectarianism and singing songs about stuff most of their fanbase know f**k all about......

but yeah...its the pitches that make the game look amateurish

I didn't want to pipe up about it after the Livi game because I knew it would be written off as excuses/sour grapes (which it wouldn't have been because we were just shite and deserved to lose) but I'm not a fan of their pitch and a few others.

I'm not having it that there's no difference to grass. As I say we were fucking terrible that day but there were wee moments where it was clear that one side were more used to the surface.

Each unfancied club coming up may as well put in an even shanner pitch than the last. I caught 10 mins of the Rangers game and it's just a beamer seeing it on TV as well.

I see the economic arguments for the smaller sides and don't expect it to change. My head says it should be allowed, personal preference would be that it isn't.

29 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I didn't want to pipe up about it after the Livi game because I knew it would be written off as excuses/sour grapes (which it wouldn't have been because we were just shite and deserved to lose) but I'm not a fan of their pitch and a few others.

The Sportscene lads certainly believed it had an impact on the game with several Hibs players slipping on our dangerous Tupperware playing surface

As one of the few attendees on this board that can remember the BIG debate on synthetic verses real I must admit to a certain degree of nostalgia.

In the sixties a new ball was developed to replace leather with so called synthetic leather. Such was the furore that the synthetic ball was not actually widely used in competitive action until almost the eighties. Arguments were that the synthetic ball didn't fly through the air properly and bounced in an artificial manner. Well a water soaked traditional leather ball did indeed bounce differently; in fact sometimes it hardly bounced at all; on a wet day kick and rush was virtually impossible, because the ball would almost stop dead, plus dribbling was precisely that with the player having to continually scoop the ball along and that's ignoring all the injuries a leather ball would produce (like kicking a medicine ball) and its connection to Alzheimer's although that wasn't known at the time. Players had to be careful to head the ball only with the forehead as, it it hit any other part, you'd end up with blinding headaches.

Despite all this it took almost twenty years for the ball to be replaced as many of the senior members of football management (and quite a few of the older professionals) were afraid it would change the game (which it did).

Today I doubt you'd find many professional footballers who were in favour of returning to using the old leather twelve section football.

Ah the memories - mind you I also was able to have five pints before the game; a bag of chips; entry to the game;  a programme and a couple of pints after and have change from a fiver - mind you my monthly wage was just over £100

19 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

The Sportscene lads certainly believed it had an impact on the game with several Hibs players slipping on our dangerous Tupperware playing surface

The same lads who referred to us as "eeeerrrrm Agricultural" and said we were certainties for twelfth place - well I suppose they could still be right.

Personally don’t like using artificial pitches for professional football but by and large they’re better than some or the tattie fields you see.  That said it really doesn’t cross my mind that much when Ayr are playing away on one, although I wouldn’t want one at Somerset - probably because our pitch is usually like a bowling green.

Also pretty sure a decent proportion of injuries sustained on them is down to thick as f**k footballers wearing the wrong studs. Made the mistake of wearing FG studs on it once and you can feel your feet sticking every time you move.

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think Hearts only win 4 away games last season

2 were at Hamilton and 1 at Rugby Park

They’re clearly a great idea

Anti-football pitches would suit Hearts I suppose.

17 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Your own GRASS pitch should have given you an advantage against Livingston who play/train exclusively on astro....

Our goal was from good football played on the deck...must try harder

Motherwell are an established premiership club with a decent bit of money behind them....Livi are running with what is probably close to a league 1 budget

As has been mentioned a lot of clubs in top leagues around Europe are using artificial pitches.

We live in a country where it seems rain more often than not and we get weather warnings regularly for rain/snow etc with temperatures rarely out of the low single digits for a good chunk of the year but we don't have a winter break

We do have a winter break.

Archived