SPFL reject idea to remove plastic pitches from top divison

28 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Why would it benefit the home team, if they're playing on the same surface? Sounds like something a supporter of a club with an embarrassing away record would say.

I assume Bennett read someone saying it on Follow Follow so he'll now just aimlessly repeat it over and over as forming his own thoughts would be too stressful.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

But you're using flawed logic to make that point.

Footballers are experts when it comes to playing football.

They are not experts when it comes to injuries or to the laws of football.

Therefore, it makes logical sense that we should listen to their views on playing surfaces, but take their views on the causes of injuries with a pinch of salt.

If medical professionals began to criticise artificial pitches in the same numbers are footballing professionals, then that would be noteworthy. But I don't use that as a reason for opposing artificial pitches. I, like most professionals, think they are rubbish.

I'm not using flawed logic, just listen to them speak about footballing matters, it is often absolute drivel or just sound bites.   Just read the Sportsound Watch thread, full of comments about ex-players making comments about football that are blatantly wrong.

Also, players really ought to be experts in the laws of the game, they are professional football players and it's their job.  Are you suggesting that Neville shouldn't know better than that about defending in the penalty box?  He played at the absolute highest level as a full back frequently defending in the penalty box.  His views are as relevant as any referee and he was speaking slavers.

My boy, who plays on both surfaces on a regular basis, has stated he'd rather play on artificial pitches all year than grass all year because the ball runs truer.  He is not Jesus but his point is as valid as the players who knock artificial surfaces. 

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

Pundits and players regularly cite injuries due to playing on artificial surfaces.  Just because they say it doesn't mean they are correct, just ask Jesus.

Interesting point; of course if it was correct you'd  assume those teams playing all the time on synthetic surface would experience a higher level of injuries than those only playing occasionally  but of course that's not the case.  Of our four long term injuries only Lee Miller was injured on synthetics, landing badly after jumping for the ball, whereas Sibbald was injured at Gateshead (grass); whereas Hardie was Dundee United (grass) and Da Vita in our playoff game against Partick Thistle on our old grass pitch. 

If I wanted to be pedantic I'd infer that players were more likely to suffer serious injury on grass rather than artificial. I wonder what Mr Gerrard's response would be to that?

I remember visiting Forfar's ground a couple of seasons back; the game was lively and not without controversy but none of this was down to the surface. Also based on the location of the ground its difficult to imagine how you could maintain any other surface to the H&S standards currently deemed acceptable.

I played two seasons in Canada where you didn't have a home pitch as in every game you were assigned to a different pitch. It was 50/50 grass and artificial. It's a completely different game depending on which surface we played on, and anytime I picked up an injury seemed it was on artificial pitches.  Don't think it ever altered the result, if your better than the other team you'll will generally win no matter the surface. 100% in favour of grass pitches only in the top flight.

It makes our top league look amateurish and all the the players seemingly hate playing on them. The damned statistics on injuries is all rather irelevent. We are selling a product and most fans and players dont like playing/watching football on them. For they reasons  only grass pitches in the top league IMO.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I assume Bennett read someone saying it on Follow Follow so he'll now just aimlessly repeat it over and over as forming his own thoughts would be too stressful.

Random guy playing the man and not the ball again.

It makes our top league look amateurish and the all the players seemingly hate playing on them. The damned statistics on injuries is all rather irelevent. We are selling a product and most fans and players dont like playing/watching football on them. For they reasons  only grass pitches in the top league IMO.
How does it make our top league look amateurish? Artificial surfaces have been used in the Champions League - does that make that competition look amateurish? Most people I know want to watch their team win, whether it is on grass or not. Most neutrals just want to watch a good game - you can get good games on grass and on artificial turf; you can get awful games on grass and on artificial turf. People with a brain will draw their own conclusions as to whether a game is good or not, the hard of thinking will watch a game and regardless of its quality will parrot what the commentators say. That's why some folk say that you can't get a good game on an artificial pitch (you can) and why they'll repeat that a boring 0-0 was intriguing or engrossing just because it was on Sky and live from "The best league in the World".

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Ha!

I've been all over Europe watching Hearts, I've been a season ticket holder for years (even while living abroad), I pay money to the club every month in FoH subs, I've bought a half-season ticket and various match tickets I couldn't use to help keep the lights on.

I'm cool with skipping a game because it was bound to be rubbish. Everyone I know who went confirmed that the game was indeed absolute mince.

Where will the put your statue?

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Team plays on a pitch which makes football impossible and hugely benefits the home team...

Didn't stop us playing football on it, scored a lovely goal playing passes through your packed defence, nutmegging two of your players too. Same against Hibs, both our goals were brilliant bits of skill by Pittman and Byrne.

Good job we got a draw against Hearts at their ground or that Hearts fella would be saying it was all down to our pitch.

How does it make our top league look amateurish"

Probably due to several top flight teams having poor quality artificial pitches, thousands of black pellets flying up every time the balls kicked. Kilmarnocks is well past its sell by date and Livingston's looks like it was bought in home bargains....

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Didn't stop us playing football on it, scored a lovely goal playing passes through your packed defence, nutmegging two of your players too. Same against Hibs, both our goals were brilliant bits of skill by Pittman and Byrne.

Good job we got a draw against Hearts at their ground or that Hearts fella would be saying it was all down to our pitch.

:lol: Not too bad sir, not too bad at all.

The SPFL have been quick to try to follow a part of a Dutch plan that's not even been proposed yet and has already been slammed by various smaller clubs (regardless of which surfaces they play on)...

1 hour ago, Marten said:

The SPFL have been quick to try to follow a part of a Dutch plan that's not even been proposed yet and has already been slammed by various smaller clubs (regardless of which surfaces they play on)...

Colt Teams in League Two thread for this pish

" How does it make our top league look amateurish"

Probably due to several top flight teams having poor quality artificial pitches, thousands of black pellets flying up every time the balls kicked. Kilmarnocks is well past its sell by date and Livingston's looks like it was bought in home bargains....

I'm assuming you were trying and failing to quote my earlier post.

In answer to the first point, is it amateurish for the Champions League to allow artificial pitches? Why is it seen as amateur when Hamilton (average crowd of around 3,000 last year) or Livingston (average last year of about 1,600) have one but not Young Boys (average crowd last year of nearly 22,000; 12 time and current Swiss champions and in Man Utd's group in this year's Champions League)?

If it's about quality of pitches, then yes they vary. Raith's new pitch seems well liked by players and fans and doesn't have black pellets (it has green ones which are less noticeable) - so if there are good artificial pitches out there that don't have the black pellets you personally find embarrassing then why ban them all?

Going back to the amateurishness of it all, I'd say the recent Valladolid v Barcelona game was much more farcical than anything Scottish football has thrown up in the past few seasons, wouldn't you? That of course was played on grass in one of the richest leagues in the world. If banning artificial pitches means more of these scenes then I'd rather not tbhthough.1535233273_148045_1535233338_noticia_normal.thumb.jpg.33499fb6e031329ef6f968813761e93a.jpgankesa.jpg.ca3a2f6d7e7cffa386c31445d883360f.jpg15352387618649.jpg.0c3ab41937dbc9172d1d837c334dd055.jpg

Finally, the Dutch proposal talks about the clubs who qualify for Europe paying for the replacements out of their prize money. If Celtic and Rangers (two of the biggest opponents of artificial pitches) are really serious about it then there's an obvious solution - pay for the replacement of the pitches AND allow other clubs to use their UV lamps during the season so that the grass pitches are maintained at a suitable level for the whole season. Not everyone can afford them or a full time groundskeeping team so there's a perfect opportunity to show how committed these two clubs are to improving the Scottish game. I won't be holding my breath

Archived