SPFL reject idea to remove plastic pitches from top divison

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

It's better to actually know about the things you discuss on here m8, because chances are someone else will and they'll also take great delight in telling you.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it son; we're still suffering the international break and I'm as bored as ####. For christ sake even Dundee are currently refusing to change their manager. That would at least give us something meaningful to discuss.

I seen that theres apparently potential for a movement amongst players to have artificial pitches banned in Scotland, Well, that would just be cutting your nose off to spite your face as the end result would be fewer full-time jobs in football in Scotland, no wonder the stereotype of the thick footballer exists. 

4 hours ago, Durnford said:

If you want to be pedantic then It's often referred to as North East but those that served on the UN Buffer zone (now closed) referred to it simply as East 

350px-Cy-map.png

If you want to be pedantic it is officially the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. The UN, the EU and the UK government all call it North or Northern. I've never heard it referred to in any other way.

43 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If you want to be pedantic it is officially the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. The UN, the EU and the UK government all call it North or Northern. I've never heard it referred to in any other way.

Touche'

On 13/10/2018 at 19:30, BoydiesBelly said:

The penciled in plan for Kilmarnock is to rip the 3G up in the summer and relay it at the new training ground we're building. The pitch has allowed us to save on the exorbitant training costs at Garscube and then use that money to help build said training ground - more clubs who are forced into renting training facilities should lay 3G and do likewise.

We'll either recommit to the 3G or go back to grass at the end of this season as the shelf-life for competitive football on it will be up, but there's no doubting that it's been a net positive for us so far. If we get the site where the Powerleague is currently then we'll go back to grass for next season as less work needs done for the new facilities. If we have to go with one of the sites at Fenwick Moor/Dundonald/Annandale then I think we'll end up sticking with 3G for at least two more seasons. Which is fine by me if it keeps getting under the skin of simpletons. 

Killie had the site where the Power league is before they did and we trained there for a wee while. It’s too small though for what is now required.

It's better to actually know about the things you discuss on here m8, because chances are someone else will and they'll also take great delight in telling you.
That should be craigkillie's signature.

• 2 months later...

Happened upon this thread.

Craigkillie has already done a sterling job at debunking some of the myths but to reiterate: only 15 out of 53 leagues in Europe play each other 2 times. There are 2 playing each other 5 times, 26 playing each other 4 times and 9 playing each other 3 times, plus San Marino who use conferences.

There are 4 leagues with no winter break (rest of the UK and Israel), and 6 more with shorter breaks than us including France, Italy, Portugal and Spain. We've the same break as Belgium and Greece, plus only 1 week less than 5 others including Germany and Netherlands. Like these our winter break has little to do with "avoiding bad weather" - it's mainly about giving players a rest.

There was unhappiness amongst players in the 1950s when floodlights came in - there was even an attempt to organise a strike in England. I don't see resistance to 3G here as much different.

Play each other 5 times with split
Lithuania (8 = 28+5)
Andorra (8 = 21+6)

Play each other 4 times
Albania, Armenia, Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Switzerland; Eire, Estonia, Georgia (10 = 36)
Azerbaijan; Latvia, Moldova (8 = 28)

Play each other 4 times with split
Belgium (16 = 30+10)
Romania (14 = 26+14)
Bulgaria, Denmark, Greece, Israel (14 = 26+10)
Northern Ireland, Scotland (12 = 33+5)
Austria, Cyprus, Slovakia, Ukraine, Wales (12 = 22+10)

Play each other 3 times
Bosnia-Herzegovina, Hungary, Kosovo; Finland, Kazakhstan (12 = 33)
Faroe Islands (10 = 27)

Play each other 3 times with split
Poland, Serbia (16 = 30+7)
Czech Rep (16 = 30+5)*

Play each other 2 times
England, France, Italy, Spain (20 = 38)
Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Turkey (18 = 34)
Russia; Belarus, Norway, Sweden (16 = 30)
Luxembourg, Malta (14 = 26)
Iceland (12 = 22)

Playing each other 2 times with conferences
San Marino (8+8 = 22)

*middle split in Czech Rep play 4 times being 30+6

No winter break
England, Israel, Northern Ireland, Wales

Winter break of 1 week
Portugal

Winter break of 2 weeks
Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Italy, Spain

Winter break of 3 weeks
Belgium, Greece, Scotland

Winter break of 4 weeks
Albania, Germany, Malta, Netherlands, San Marino

Winter break of 5 weeks
Andorra, Turkey

Longer winter break
Azerbaijan, Romania (6 weeks)
Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Switzerland (7 weeks)
Czech Rep, Denmark (8 weeks)
Austria, Bulgaria, Serbia (9 weeks)
FYR Macedonia, Slovakia (10 weeks)
Russia, Slovenia, Ukraine (11 weeks)
Bosnia-Herzegovina, Luxembourg (12 weeks)
Armenia (13 weeks)
Kosovo, Montenegro - ?

Calendar year season
Belarus, Eire, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Georgia, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Norway, Sweden

30 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Happened upon this thread.

Craigkillie has already done a sterling job at debunking some of the myths but to reiterate: only 15 out of 53 leagues in Europe play each other 2 times. There are 2 playing each other 5 times, 26 playing each other 4 times and 9 playing each other 3 times, plus San Marino who use conferences.

There are 4 leagues with no winter break (rest of the UK and Israel), and 6 more with shorter breaks than us including France, Italy, Portugal and Spain. We've the same break as Belgium and Greece, plus only 1 week less than 5 others including Germany and Netherlands.

Like these our winter break has little to do with "avoiding bad weather" - it's about giving players a rest.

There was unhappiness amongst players in the 1950s when floodlights came in - there was even an attempt to organise a strike in England. I don't see resistance to 3G here as much different.

Craig Kille should normalise all the variables above and tell us who is the best country regardless of population, winter breaks etc. I would do it, but I’m working on a new theory of relativity at the moment  - it’s a cracker involving beer, Tenerife and hotel gin.

Archived