SPFL reject idea to remove plastic pitches from top divison

4 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Grass pitches should be banned

I don't understand. All grass pitches are the same and the ball bounces the same on them all. Folk in this thread have pretyy much said as much by talking about weird bounces on artificial pitches (insinuating that they don't happen on grass pitches).

How can this have happened?!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a taxi driver telling me last night that our pitch was a huge advantage against his team, Celtic. 

Told him he was talking pish. For the first few years we couldn't buy a win on the pitch so clearly gave us no advantage then. Celtic have pumped us by 5 or 6 on the plastic pitch in the past. 

Now that we're a better side than them (come at me) the pitch excuse is getting trotted out. Nothing to do with the fact Steve Clarke is just a better manager, just the pitch. 

When we beat them 1-0 last season with Mulumbu scoring, two of their players got injured and the pitch was to blame. The week before, they had lost two players on a grass pitch but the grass wasn't to blame. 

If it was up to me we would get rid of it but I don't think it's anything like as big a difference or advantage as what folk make out when it suits them  

13 hours ago, Marten said:

The SPFL have been quick to try to follow a part of a Dutch plan that's not even been proposed yet and has already been slammed by various smaller clubs (regardless of which surfaces they play on)...

The SPFL have not followed anything. This entire story is based on one journalist reading about the Dutch idea and contacting the SPFL for a quote.

Just now, Demented Zebra said:

How anyone can defend artificial plastic pitches is mind boggling. There is a reason why the top leagues all over Europe don't use them. 

Do you try this hard to be a moron or does it just come naturally?

How anyone can defend artificial plastic pitches is mind boggling. There is a reason why the top leagues all over Europe don't use them. 
Is it because most of said leagues have better weather and the clubs have a lot more money to spend on items such as UV lamps, hybrid pitches and large groundskeeping staffs? Because in other countries where they have similar or worse weather than us, or less money to spend on said items they are quite happy to play on artificial pitches...

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:
9 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Is it because most of said leagues have better weather and the clubs have a lot more money to spend on items such as UV lamps, hybrid pitches and large groundskeeping staffs? Because in other countries where they have similar or worse weather than us, or less money to spend on said items they are quite happy to play on artificial pitches...

Central Europe has colder weather than Scotland. The fact professional players vote stadiums with plastic the worst to play on should tell you all you need to know. As for cost if you can't get the basics right , strip, boots , ball , pitch then you should not exist. My opinion of course the majority defending plastic are the supporters of clubs that have them. 

Central Europe has colder weather than Scotland. The fact professional players vote stadiums with plastic the worst to play on should tell you all you need to know. As for cost if you can't get the basics right , strip, boots , ball , pitch then you should not exist. My opinion of course the majority defending plastic are the supporters of clubs that have them. 
Which Central European nations do you have in mind? The ones that have long winter breaks? Or the ones where they do actually have artificial pitches in their top leagues?

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
26 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Which Central European nations do you have in mind? The ones that have long winter breaks? Or the ones where they do actually have artificial pitches in their top leagues?

Austria, Germany, Poland , Switzerland, England.

7 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
30 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Which Central European nations do you have in mind? 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

England.

monkey-puppet-omg-shock-gif.gif

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

What's an artificial plastic pitch?

Is it a pitch that looks like its made out of plastic but actually isn't.

Most European leagues either don't play during the winter; are able to invest in extensive all weather protection; or don't face the same level of winter ground freezing and rainfall that we do in Scotland.

Scotland doesn't have the money or the weather. Last year we just about managed to balance the books although the significant number of games called off due to the weather and water-logged pitch put a significant dent in that.

20 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think the issue that some have with it is not the quality of the pitch (some are very good, some less so) but the feeling that it gives the home team more of an advantage than traditional grass pitches.

Anyone know if there's been any research on the matter?

Dunno but for the first 2 years we played on it, we literally couldn't win at home.

18 hours ago, JTS98 said:

We've been playing decent football this season. Passing well, making chances, scoring goals, playing with pace.

Everyone I know who went to Rugby Park said it was rubbish.

You lot grow the grass to stop good football being played, think you'd better just give up on this one.

Archived