SPFL reject idea to remove plastic pitches from top divison

Just now, Killiefan said:

What a loyal fan you are.

Ha!

I've been all over Europe watching Hearts, I've been a season ticket holder for years (even while living abroad), I pay money to the club every month in FoH subs, I've bought a half-season ticket and various match tickets I couldn't use to help keep the lights on.

I'm cool with skipping a game because it was bound to be rubbish. Everyone I know who went confirmed that the game was indeed absolute mince.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

1) You can't on any single day, no. But running the numbers over various clubs with and without the artificial surfaces over a number of years and controlling figures for budget, league position etc would reveal whether there is any significant statistical difference. From a stats point of view that's a really simple task.

2) Of course grass changes based on climate, how it's laid etc. But grass is the standard. Artificial pitches simply play differently. Anyone who has kicked a ball on one knows that, and there is overwhelming consensus from players and coaches that this is the case. It's also clear as the nose on your face to anyone watching a game.

3) Pretty obtuse question. I don't watch games with a notebook for this purpose. It's plain to the observer. That said, it's also easy to say "He'd have mis-controlled that anyway". But I think even the casual observer can see that players are less comfortable playing at Rugby Park than they are normally.

What artificial pitches play differently, and to what grass pitch do they play differently?

I think the only players who are less comfortable controlling a ball on an artificial pitch are the ones who have let all the hysteria get to their head.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

1) What artificial pitches play differently, and to what grass pitch do they play differently?

2) I think the only players who are less comfortable controlling a ball on an artificial pitch are the ones who have let all the hysteria get to their head.

1) In my experience, and that of people I know who have played at a much higher level than me, the ball doesn't lose or gain speed on an artificial pitch in the same way as it does on grass. It is usually a faster or a slower pitch which makes passing football, over-lapping runs, interceptions etc difficult. Also, artificial pitches usually have exaggerated bounces. Rugby Park certainly does. Leads to lots of comical defending and mis-judged kick outs etc.

2) I disagree. What can you do?

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Ha!

I've been all over Europe watching Hearts, I've been a season ticket holder for years (even while living abroad), I pay money to the club every month in FoH subs, I've bought a half-season ticket and various match tickets I couldn't use to help keep the lights on.

I'm cool with skipping a game because it was bound to be rubbish. Everyone I know who went confirmed that the game was indeed absolute mince.

Mmm, because Hearts play such free flowing sexy football. The way your gaffer loves it.

Just now, Killiefan said:

Mmm, because Hearts play such free flowing sexy football. The way your gaffer loves it.

We've been playing decent football this season. Passing well, making chances, scoring goals, playing with pace.

Everyone I know who went to Rugby Park said it was rubbish.

Just now, JTS98 said:

1) In my experience, and that of people I know who have played at a much higher level than me, the ball doesn't lose or gain speed on an artificial pitch in the same way as it does on grass. It is usually a faster or a slower pitch which makes passing football difficult. Also, artificial pitches usually have exaggerated bounces. Rugby Park certainly does. Leads to lots of comical defending and mis-judged kick outs etc.

2) I disagree. What can you do?

Nope. You're just parroting the cliched pish now.

And, once again, which grass pitch are you using as comparison?

Just now, DA Baracus said:

1) Nope. You're just parroting the cliched pish now.

2) And, once again, which grass pitch are you using as comparison?

1) Never watched a game there, IMO.

2) I think you must struggle with life if you're unfamiliar with the concept of generalised comparison. Just like you seem ignorant of how stats work.

Telling that plastic pitches are being supported here by a supporter of a team that has one and a supporter of a team that used to have one.

That's the point; it can't be generalised given how different all pitches are.

Or are we back to 'all artificial pitches are exactly the same and all grass pitches are exactly the same'?

Can you cite 3 incidents of a dodgy bounce on artificial pitches? This shouldn't be difficult since it's seemingly such a common occurrence.

I'm not in favour or against artificial pitches. 

15 minutes ago, bennett said:

A quote from Gary Holt.

"It's a massive advantage for us. We train on it every day and we love it. It makes it quicker"

An advantage for the home team, plain and simple.

Yeah, that and Rangers are a wee bit annoyed about having to play on it. At least they got the whole North Stand at Livi as well, so they’ll be happy.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

That's the point; it can't be generalised given how different all pitches are.

Or are we back to 'all artificial pitches are exactly the same and all grass pitches are exactly the same'?

Can you cite 3 incidents of a dodgy bounce on artificial pitches? This shouldn't be difficult since it's seemingly such a common occurrence.

I'm not in favour or against artificial pitches. 

Aye. I regularly watch games with a notebook to jot down just such things.

Look, you like to argue with folk, that's fine.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Aye. I regularly watch games with a notebook to jot down just such things.

Look, you like to argue with folk, that's fine.

So you can't actually back up your view here?

18 minutes ago, bennett said:

A quote from Gary Holt.

"It's a massive advantage for us. We train on it every day and we love it. It makes it quicker"

An advantage for the home team, plain and simple.

Stop press........"Team has advantage playing on home ground because they play on it more than the teams they meet"

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Nope, during the course of the season though the best grass pitches will deteriorate and the artificial ones wont. So even the best grass pitches have minus points against artificial ones.

I find it amusing the biased comments from pundits too, anyone slips on a grass pitch and not a word is said, same thing on a plastic pitch and they immediately have some quip slagging the pitch off.

a player gets injured on an artificial pitch and it is solely or largely down to the pitch. happens on grass and it is just "part and parcel".

similarly is the commentator/pundit's lazy/cliche ridden assessment of zonal marking at corners. whenever a goal is conceded when zonal marrying, invariably said pundit mentions how ineffective zonal marking is and how he always hates it - nothing to do with the defender's concentration/timing etc. When a goal is conceded from man-marking, no pundit has ever expressed his distaste for such defensive tactics. 

Generally these are all TV and radio pundits......pretty much all to a man former players turned "experts"

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So you can't actually back up your view here?

Of course I can.

I've played on, watched games on, and have spoken to professional footballers about playing on artificial surfaces.

I've read and listened to interviews with professional players and coaches, and I've observed patterns of praise and criticism for artificial pitches.

I'm more than happy that I've had enough varied types of input to form a decent view on the subject.

But then, you don't seem to understand how evidence gathering works, so you'd rather I was able to tell you that "Player X mis-controlled the ball in the 34th minute of Game Y". An absurd view, and one that shows ignorance of how evidence and information gathering works, but you carry on with it.

Just now, JTS98 said:

Of course I can.

I've played on, watched games on, and have spoken to professional footballers about playing on artificial surfaces.

I've read and listened to interviews with professional players and coaches, and I've observed patterns of praise and criticism for artificial pitches.

I'm more than happy that I've had enough varied types of input to form a decent view on the subject.

But then, you don't seem to understand how evidence gathering works, so you'd rather I was able to tell you that "Player X mis-controlled the ball in the 34th of Game Y". An absurd view, and one that shows ignorance of how evidence and information gathering works, but you carry on with it.

and i'm jesus.

I've posted it. What more evidence do you need?

Just now, BawWatchin said:

and i'm jesus.

I've posted it. What more evidence do you need?

Well, perhaps if some professional Jesus experts had backed up your claims to be Jesus, and I had observed you doing some things that only Jesus could do, then maybe I'd be inclined to believe you.

But, sadly not.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Of course I can.

But then, you don't seem to understand how evidence gathering works, so you'd rather I was able to tell you that "Player X mis-controlled the ball in the 34th minute of Game Y". An absurd view, and one that shows ignorance of how evidence and information gathering works, but you carry on with it.

Pundits and players regularly cite injuries due to playing on artificial surfaces.  Just because they say it doesn't mean they are correct, just ask Jesus.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Well, perhaps if some professional Jesus experts had backed up your claims to be Jesus, and I had observed you doing some things that only Jesus could do, then maybe I'd be inclined to believe you.

But, sadly not.

I have read some of his posts and thought....JESUS...!!

Archived