Israel v Scotland

TheScarf

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Is it true that the Palestinians turned up  last night waving Scotland flags demanding an end to the Israeli occupation of the Scottish penalty area?

Worst night of watching a Scotland team I've had for a long time, but this post did a lot to ease the pain!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tierney can play centre half just fine as he has shown in the past
The skills needed for left wing back are not all that dissimilar to left back. Robertson should be able to adjust over time with no real issues
The bigger issue is how shocking we looked all over the park. You can't just say it's the formation that's wholly responsible for that given how many other teams seem to be able to play it no bother
Robertson playing with no winger in front of him takes away his biggest weapon. He makes runs beyond and gets played in for Liverpool.

Back 4 with Robertson at lb, KT at rb with Fraser and Forrest playing in front of them is the way to go.

Robertson playing with no winger in front of him takes away his biggest weapon. He makes runs beyond and gets played in for Liverpool.

Back 4 with Robertson at lb, KT at rb with Fraser and Forrest playing in front of them is the way to go.

McGregor left coming inside would suit Robertson more I think, keep Fraser in number 10.

McGregor left coming inside would suit Robertson more I think, keep Fraser in number 10.
Sounds good too. Either way his game isn't suited to the left wing back position.

We need Armstrong to be getting a game for Southampton, classiest player we have had for a while.

I sat through the game at a pub in Glasgow, where a clearly deranged older guy spent the game applauding and chanting for Allan McGregor and loudly booing all the Celtic players. He also cheered the Israel goals.

Living through that was still not as bad as watching Scotland's performance. I thought maybe Liechenstein at home was worse but at least we actually did win that game. The two away defeats in Georgia were probably more damaging and meant more in the long run but last night was right up there with the most pathetic, baffling, dreadful and boring Scotland games I've ever seen. We could have had absolutely zero complaints if it finished 4-1.

McLeish doesn't seem well and is totally incompetent but the blame is on the idiots that gave him the job in the first place.

18 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Mane doesn't exactly hug the touchline

He tends to drift in and out, playing on the shoulder of defenders and linking with Salah and Firmino

A lot of the time Robertson doesn't have someone in front of him at Liverpool. It doesn't cause him to fall apart there

The difference at Liverpool is the likes of Miller and Winaldjum going across to help him out and even cover for him when he rampages forward

It's not so much the back three that's affecting Robertson, in my opinion, but that it's with two strikers.
In McLeish's first game - Robertson's best at wing-back for Scotland - he linked up really well with Matt Ritchie who played as a left inside forward. Looking back at a couple of games, Ritchie was actually quite good at opening up space for Robertson to drive into, as well as linking with him higher up.
There are ways to work around it in last night's formation, either having McGregor or one of the strikers drifting wide to help him, but it's just not the same when you have two strikers occupying a back four compared to Liverpool's front three. It allows the opposition full-back to concentrate on the oncoming wing-back a wee bit more, when, against Liverpool, they have to play incredibly narrow to try and stop the front three and their lethal diagonal runs.
I also think his issue with his run timings against Albania was because he didn't know when to go without someone to overlap.
Reading back, I noticed a few posters mentioning Robertson cutting back a lot and playing safer passes - he does that for Liverpool too. Quite often, to be honest.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Why are we constantly trying to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson into the team ? It's pretty much proven not to work. 

We don't play both McGregor in goals and Gordon in midfield, just because they're decent players. 

McLeish should make a choice between Robertson or Tierney at left-back, and keep the other on the bench. It's stupidity to keep on playing one of them out of position.

21 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Around 1500 away fans? What was the crowd overall?  haven't seen it quoted anywhere. Looked pretty empty on TV.

Radio said 10 thousand and about 200 odds - israiels voted with their feet apparently coz they are pants.....

20 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Why are we constantly trying to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson into the team ? It's pretty much proven not to work. 

We don't play both McGregor in goals and Gordon in midfield, just because they're decent players. 

McLeish should make a choice between Robertson or Tierney at left-back, and keep the other on the bench. It's stupidity to keep on playing one of them out of position.

If Tierney is the best option at RB (in my opinion he is) then McLeish should play him there. He won`t though because he stupidly stated right at the start of his tenure that he wouldn`t do that and now won`t want to look (even more) stupid by having to back on that. 

That said Craig Gordon could well be better in midfield than Kevin McDonald on the evidence of last night.  You might just have hit on something there.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

If Tierney is the best option at RB (in my opinion he is) then McLeish should play him there. He won`t though because he stupidly stated right at the start of his tenure that he wouldn`t do that and now won`t want to look (even more) stupid by having to back on that. 

To be honest, and even though he had a 'mare last night, O'Donnell has done fine at right-back and deserves his place. 

Tierney isn't a right back. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

To be honest, and even though he had a 'mare last night, O'Donnell has done fine at right-back and deserves his place. 

O`Donnell was awful last night (and to be fair he had zero protection from those around him) though he wasn`t alone in that. I`d prefer Tierney at RB but your opinion is different and perfectly valid.

It`s bizarre that we can have 2 excellent LBs yet McLeish plays a system where neither of them play LB. 

Tierney is a full back. It's happened for years in Scotland teams when we haven't had a left back and a right footed player has played there.

Complete shambles. I was totally against McCleish getting the job and he's making an arse  of it. 3-5-2 formation is awfull . If we don't win our 2 remaining nation league games he should be punted before the qualifiers get underway. Oh and McDonald is one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Scotland shirt.

Archived