Israel v Scotland

TheScarf

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, forameus said:

An awkward performance but ultimately a positive result.

2-0 to the good guys

It's not often you hear the words "good guys" and Israel in the same sentence.....

If this were a home game I'd be confident.

Sadly though it's away which means the team will have it drilled in to them to be shitebags and we will play very meekly indeed and totally without confidence. We'll see a lot of punts up the park and we'll see a lot of small, safe passes before an aimless hoof up the pitch. We'll see plenty of misplaced passes and no one willing to take a man on or have a shot.

Obviously I wish this wasn't the case but with very exceptions it's how Scotland have played away from home for many, many years. Timid garbage that has the team terrified

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Sadly though it's away which means the team will have it drilled in to them to be shitebags and we will play very meekly indeed and totally without confidence. We'll see a lot of punts up the park and we'll see a lot of small, safe passes before an aimless hoof up the pitch. We'll see plenty of misplaced passes and no one willing to take a man on or have a shot.

Obviously I wish this wasn't the case but with very exceptions it's how Scotland have played away from home for many, many years. Timid garbage that has the team terrified

To be fair, we haven't seen McLeish during this spell take in an away game that actually matters.  I'd completely forgotten he was in charge for any games prior to the Autumn, but we've beaten Hungary away before getting chased by Mexico and Peru in those ill-timed Summer games.  

I don't expect we'll see much of a departure, but I'm hoping these games actually mattering and being against a fellow diddy, that we'll be able to rise above the shite we usually see. 

Hope.

f**k.

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

We'll see an exceptional, exciting performance by Scotland tonight. Short sharp passing, movement like never before and a few goals. 1-3 .

Let's get right in a boot these c***s Scotland. 

All the signs are there no matter what folk say. 

Considering this could be a gateway to us qualifying for the Euros, is it just me or is there complete apathy about this tournament?

Anyways, hoping for a good performance, and would take a point happily to set us up for the rest of the games.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I fail to see how this is any different from Scotland's home games.

Some weird negativity here. THe game against Hungary was an excellently example of us being dominant and comfortable away from home. 

I don’t make predictions as a rule, but I like how Eck sets us up and I thought we were superb against Albania.

no reason why we can’t take a clean-sheet and victory back from the promised land.

20 minutes ago, OSP said:

Considering this could be a gateway to us qualifying for the Euros, is it just me or is there complete apathy about this tournament?

Anyways, hoping for a good performance, and would take a point happily to set us up for the rest of the games.

No offence mate, but that's a general apathy towards Scotland from teams like yours. Not just towards this tournament. 

I'm not going to buy into the "lol shitebags" thing before a ball has even been kicked tbh. This is a different sort of squad to what McLeish had last time he was manager so I'd hope he could look at Israel not being great right now and try and take advantage.

I think Scotland will take at least a point from this.

25 minutes ago, OSP said:

4 minutes ago, TurbineTon said:

No offence mate, but that's a general apathy towards Scotland from teams like yours. Not just towards this tournament. 

He is right though, there is a particular apathy towards the tournament, and it's been a particular note of seethe from me since the thing was announced.  

The SFA had a big opportunity (and duty to be honest) to talk this up.  At the end of the day it's a new tournament, and given it's not a simple league format (although it's massively exaggerated how complex it is) there's obviously going to be people that don't really know what it is.  They should have been right out in front of it from the very beginning, talking up how amazing an opportunity this was for a country like us.  I know they can't come out and say "come on guys, our opponents will be shite." but it's easy to inform people how it works, and then put in big f**k-off 72 point text that this can mean qualification for the Euros.  And a far bigger chance of qualifying than through the traditional means.  

To be fair to them, they started doing it, but as the weeks wore on they seemed like they couldn't be arsed anymore, and in the final weeks before the game against Albania, you had the marketing materials sent out basically advertising it as a friendly.  A fucking huge own goal from the SFA.

Then you have the media, and a lot of the traditional sources just chuckle away at how confusing it is, compounding the ignorance they're supposed to be chasing away.  This is not a particularly complex format.  We play 4 games in a group, and if we win that group we go into a 4 team play-off.  That's it.  6 fucking games.  But no, it's much better to be willfully ignorant, and pass that on to the morons listening.

And finally, we have the fans themselves.  If they're not just refusing to understand the format - which I'd grudgingly say is fair enough if your only source of information is the chuckling media types above - then they're a far more worrying group.  The ones that do understand it, but still don't care.  It's baffling to think, but there really are people that know this gives us a chance to qualify for the Euros, but still see it as a sideshow.

25 minutes ago, TurbineTon said:

That's a fair point in general, but it doesn't explain why in general terms there is a lack of apathy towards these games across the board.

Forameus is right. These games should have been hyped up to massive levels, bearing in mind its our best chance at qualifying in years. But I've barely seen anything in the press, never mind not heard much chat about it. The fact that this thread only appeared today highlights it. If this had been us v France/Italy/Netherlands in a qualifying group match in recent years, the thread would have been on days ago.

Hopefully a good result tonight might change that for the last two games in the group.

Archived