Israel v Scotland

TheScarf

2 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Scotland have played  3 5 2  successfully in the past with Boyd , Hendry and Calderwood  etc and  Tom Boyd was known as a full back

:1eyewhat's your point caller?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Scotland. CAN play. 3 5 2 it just depends on the players

Well obviously. I don't think anyone was arguing that Scotland are somehow mythically cursed to be unable to play 3-5-2 ever regardless of the players available. What they were arguing is that the current crop of players aren't best suited to it and that a different formation might be a better solution for the current squad. Bringing up a bunch of long since retired players who were suited to playing 3-5-2 is pretty irrelevant in that context, the fact that Tom Boyd was known as a full back doesn't really bring us any closer to working out what to do with Tierney and Robertson.

11 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Well obviously. I don't think anyone was arguing that Scotland are somehow mythically cursed to be unable to play 3-5-2 ever regardless of the players available. What they were arguing is that the current crop of players aren't best suited to it and that a different formation might be a better solution for the current squad. Bringing up a bunch of long since retired players who were suited to playing 3-5-2 is pretty irrelevant in that context, the fact that Tom Boyd was known as a full back doesn't really bring us any closer to working out what to do with Tierney and Robertson.

It's not a 352

There are wing backs so it's a 532

3 in midfield is light

No one plays that anymore

With the 4231 you've got 5 in midfield

McLeish is a dinosaur

29 minutes ago, Binos said:

It's not a 352

There are wing backs so it's a 532

3 in midfield is light

No one plays that anymore

With the 4231 you've got 5 in midfield

McLeish is a dinosaur

Regardless of whether you call it a 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2 it doesn't change my point given that I was replying to a poster describing it as a 3-5-2. Plenty of teams use this formation in world football at the moment so it seems odd to describe McLeish as a dinosaur for using it, what seems dinosaur-ish about it is that he appears to have taken a formation that is popular in world football at the moment and decided to use it without any clear idea of how to make it work for us.

40 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Regardless of whether you call it a 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2 it doesn't change my point given that I was replying to a poster describing it as a 3-5-2. Plenty of teams use this formation in world football at the moment so it seems odd to describe McLeish as a dinosaur for using it, what seems dinosaur-ish about it is that he appears to have taken a formation that is popular in world football at the moment and decided to use it without any clear idea of how to make it work for us.

The 4231 , 343, 4411

Are used often

Not aware of many playing two out and out strikers and leaving three in midfield

It's more a mentality thing. 

In away games the players are so lacking in confidence that they turn in cowardly pish like we saw the other night, as well as countless other spineless capitulations we've seen over the decades.

It's because it's drilled in to them that they have to be hugely defensive away from home and are terrified of making a mistake. They are basically told they aren't good enough so we must be uber defensive.

It pervades Scottish coaching. Just listen to slavers like Dodds on the radio and remember that he's been in management. 'Keep it tight and nick a goal' and 'two banks of four'; that sort of pish. It seems to have been drilled in to Scottish coaches. It's why Scottish club teams in Europe can often pump a team at home but get pumped away. 

Thing is, Albania game showed we can play it to an extent but surely when it becomes staggeringly obvious that it’s not even remotely working in a game it’s the manager’s responsibility to change it.
The most concerning thing for me about that game was McLeish’s claim that the first half was ok. If he honestly believes that and it wasn’t just a soundbite then that’s terrifying.

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Looked good when Armstrong played instead of that big daft lump McDonald

And why then did he start McDonald after he'd taken him off at half time in the first game

A draw tonight between Israel and Albania would be helpful. It'd make 2 points from the last two games enough to top the group. If we want a home playoff game that obviously wont be enough though. We'd likely need 9pts to have a chance.

An Albania win tonight means we can't afford to lose in Albania.  An Israel win means we can afford to lose against Albania but will need to comfortably beat Israel at home to make sure we have the highest GD.

8 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Just off the top of my head - an interesting scenario if Israel and Albania draw tonight is that we'd be in a situation in our last two games where 2 points would guarantee top of the group but 3 wouldn't.

That's an odd one. Never thought about that.

I'm sort of expecting Israel to get the win tonight tbh, based on what I've read about the first game between them.

On 13/10/2018 at 21:57, munro7 said:

Thing is, Albania game showed we can play it to an extent but surely when it becomes staggeringly obvious that it’s not even remotely working in a game it’s the manager’s responsibility to change it.
The most concerning thing for me about that game was McLeish’s claim that the first half was ok. If he honestly believes that and it wasn’t just a soundbite then that’s terrifying.

and that is why I feel his tea is oot. getting the formation and team wrong is one thing. Watching on and seeing Israel run through and pin us back time and time again from 20 mins onwards and do nothing about it is unforgivable. 

On 13/10/2018 at 22:53, Binos said:

And why then did he start McDonald after he'd taken him off at half time in the first game

yep - could have taken off McDonald (again) and changed the formation - but nope, looked on in utter bemusement until Souttar is sent off before taking any action. 

30 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

and that is why I feel his tea is oot. getting the formation and team wrong is one thing. Watching on and seeing Israel run through and pin us back time and time again from 20 mins onwards and do nothing about it is unforgivable. 

That's the thing for me.  Every manager makes mistakes, it's often how they react to said mistakes that really sets them apart.  In direct comparison, Strachan really screwed up his gameplan against Gibraltar at Hampden, letting them score their first ever international goal.  He immediately switched it around, and we went on to win 5-1.  

I wasn't watching the Israel game, but even the shitty radio commentary was getting across just how easily they were cutting us open, and how matching up our systems wasn't working.  We had the personnel on the pitch to change it up without even subbing players, but he didn't, and Israel could have had a hatful.

Archived