Israel v Scotland

TheScarf

If Tierney is the best option at RB (in my opinion he is) then McLeish should play him there. He won`t though because he stupidly stated right at the start of his tenure that he wouldn`t do that and now won`t want to look (even more) stupid by having to back on that. 
That said Craig Gordon could well be better in midfield than Kevin McDonald on the evidence of last night.  You might just have hit on something there.

Surely in his current state McLeish will have forgotten by now that he had said that???
Paves the way!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, munro7 said:

A professional footballer who plays left back should be perfectly comfortable at right back. It’s the same position, just on the other side of the pitch!

Plenty of examples of players having played both positions to a high level. Danny McGrain, Dennis Irwin to name just 2.

I'd always just assumed you were Scottish VT,  obviously completely wrong in my assumption.....................

I’m Scottish but I don’t give a shit about its national team; international football in general is a garbage waste of time and vastly inferior to the club game.

That doesn’t make the whining about team rankings by the Hamish Husband brigade while their team lurches from one humiliation to another any less amusing though.

52 minutes ago, Jambo: First Blood said:

Comparing Tierney with McGrain and Irwin is mental. He's nowhere near that level.

I`m not for a second looking to do that. Just trying to make the case that if players at the highest level can excel in both positions then a very decent LB like Tierney should be able to be competent as a RB. Totally agree that he`s clearly nowhere near the level of McGrain and Irwin.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

International football in general is a garbage waste of time and vastly inferior to the club game.

Perspective shifts though, dependent on how good/shit one's country is doing. If Scotland were romping through groups and qualifying for stuff, we'd be loving international football. 

Surely to be a top player you have to be adaptable and be able to play in a number of positions? Tierney should be good enough to play full back on either side of the pitch. Instead of trying to shoehorn players into a system that doesn’t work, we need to revert to a formation that doesn’t make us so vulnerable. Israel looked fantastic, down to our incompetence. Thank goodness for McGregor or it could have been an absolute thumping.

McLeish said something along the lines of ‘building for the future’. How does playing the likes of Naismith and Mulgrew justify that statement? I know we aren’t exactly awash with talent but we might as well blood the young players now.

2 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

McLeish said something along the lines of ‘building for the future’. How does playing the likes of Naismith and Mulgrew justify that statement?

They were both 21 last time McLeish was Scotland manager. He may genuinely be preparing us for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers.

Why are we constantly trying to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson into the team ? It's pretty much proven not to work. 
We don't play both McGregor in goals and Gordon in midfield, just because they're decent players. 
McLeish should make a choice between Robertson or Tierney at left-back, and keep the other on the bench. It's stupidity to keep on playing one of them out of position.

What about playing them both out of position?

On 10/12/2018 at 08:39, FullTimePint said:

Tough night of football to watch tbh, silver lining is it puts to bed a number of issues for me

1) Scotland cannot play three at the back, it was evident last night no-one really understand where they should be off the ball. In the second half i watched their keeper hoof a ball into CM, and the first time we had anyone near was when Isreal were attacking around our box. 442 / 451 or nothing. We play so many pointless friendlies, work on shape in the build up! Smaller countries do well and overachieve because they are well drilled and understand their roles, no reason we shouldn't be the same

2) We need a holding midfield player, our defense gets so exposed its ridiculous. McGinn & Mcgregor are good players, but they do not compliment each others styles, and Mcdonald has proved to be a wasted jersey

3) Tierney is a LB, as is Robertson. Decide and play one, playing either out of position takes away their effectiveness (both suffered last night)

4) Mcgergor in goal over Gordon every day of the week. Have to feel if he had a shocker last night we would have been looking at a cricket score

A sensible post .  As you say  keep it simple with a 4-4-2 / 4-5-1 and work on closing the opposition down and forcing them into making mistakes.  That is and always should be Scotland's strength given the lack of real quality players. 

Didn't Robertson play at wing-back for Hull for a decent length of time? If so, he shouldn't be a total stranger to the demands of that role. 

I think three at the back can still work, but it might take some time to successfully implement. We perhaps don't have the time to wait and see. 

14 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Didn't Robertson play at wing-back for Hull for a decent length of time? If so, he shouldn't be a total stranger to the demands of that role. 

I think three at the back can still work, but it might take some time to successfully implement. We perhaps don't have the time to wait and see. 

Playing 3 at the back should be fine when we are at home against the Albania,s of the world but away  from home against better opposition it would be better to at least try 4 . Our whole left side is set up for us with the players we have and it would be stupid for Mcleish to not even try it in one of these many  friendlies weve   played..Give it a go tomorrow and at least show he,s noticed the problem..

Radio Scotland  _  Why is Michael Stewart being so stupid. Billy Dodds said he wanted  4 4 2 played. Alex McLeish didn't so we have to look at what went wrong with the  3 5 2. 

Why did Johnny Russell start and not McBurnie ?

What was Callum McGregor supposed to be doing ?

Why do Scotland players seem incapable of playing a simple  1 - 2  pass ?

Archived