Israel v Scotland

TheScarf

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

4-0 defeat to Wales.  Case closed.

aaaa.jpg

This was my thought. I remember watching through my hands for most of it.

1 hour ago, sjc said:

Is it true that the Palestinians turned up  last night waving Scotland flags demanding an end to the Israeli occupation of the Scottish penalty area?

Seriously underrated post right there

15 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

So was the old one.  A total pile of shite.

Which would be why it punted Scotland into the exact category of utter doghite like Albania and Israel that is the team's natural level. 

6 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

So you're a fan of the FIFA rankings?

They're not perfect but they re a clearly effective tool for measuring performance. As demonstrated by the fact that the current system put Scotland in a pot with two other permdiddies and you've each shared a win and a loss after two games. 

I'd be focusing on more pressing matters right now than whining about a rankings system if I were you. 

24 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

The formation is purely set up to get KT and Robbo in the same team without KT having to play right back. KT struggles in a back 3 and Robbo struggles when he is the only player on the left wing. Why not play one LB and the other LM, they are both more effective when they can play 1-2s and put crosses in the box. Ok that still means one of them is out of position but that is going to be the case no matter what we do  unless one drops to the bench. We seen KT get forward more against Albania and when they worked together that is where the first goal came from.

Yes if both play then one will have to be out of position. As you outline above we managed to play both out of position last night though . Two excellent left backs so let`s not play either of them there. A system designed to get the best out of neither player. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

They're not perfect but they re a clearly effective tool for measuring performance. As demonstrated by the fact that the current system put Scotland in a pot with two other permdiddies and you've each shared a win and a loss after two games. 

I'd be focusing on more pressing matters right now than whining about a rankings system if I were you. 

Pretty sure it was the UEFA coefficient that sorted these groups, not the World Rankings, as is usually the way with UEFA competitions (far as I know rankings only went into World Cup Qualifying seeding).

The system isn't perfect, but any "better" system wouldn't likely be a million miles away from it.  

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

As demonstrated by the fact that the current system put Scotland in a pot with two other permdiddies and you've each shared a win and a loss after two games. 

I'd always just assumed you were Scottish VT,  obviously completely wrong in my assumption.....................

Tierney can play centre half just fine as he has shown in the past

The skills needed for left wing back are not all that dissimilar to left back. Robertson should be able to adjust over time with no real issues

The bigger issue is how shocking we looked all over the park. You can't just say it's the formation that's wholly responsible for that given how many other teams seem to be able to play it no bother

9 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I didn't even realise there was a new rankings system. Shows how much attention I pay to internationals.

I don't understand everything about it. Maybe it'll be more representative with teams not moving about as much every month. To give an example, nobody moved more than 6 places in the most recent rankings. 37 teams did so in the November 2017 rankings.

We'll be stuck in the 30-50 range and trying to cling onto pot 3 for ever.

From what I can see there is basically going to be very little movement in the rankings. The new system is loosely based on the rugby system which doesn't overly reward exceptional results. Basically if we beat the all blacks we'd only pick up 2 points and they'd lose 2.

However. A team ranked 600 points below us and 45 places below us, as Israel are is only going to pick up 13.5 points for beating us. (we'd have picked up 1.5 for beating them.) seems a bit rubbish.

There's also no allowance for home advantage in the fifa system, which there is in the World Rugby system.

Basically unless we get to a finals tourney (and win some games at it) in the near future our mediocrity means we will be ranked somewhere between 30 and 50 forever more.

Eta beat me to it.

13 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

The skills needed for left wing back are not all that dissimilar to left back. Robertson should be able to adjust over time with no real issues

The bigger issue is how shocking we looked all over the park. You can't just say it's the formation that's wholly responsible for that given how many other teams seem to be able to play it no bother

Can he though? his own goal his shambolic, IMO McKenna attacking that ball doesn't put it in his own net.

5 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Tierney was fine at RB.

Robertson is an excellent LB right now. He may or may not be "able to adjust" to play left wing back though I don`t see him playing that role anytime soon at his club so not sure what time will bring.

I agree absolutely that there are bigger concerns all over the pitch. Teams tend to play the formation we played last night "no bother" when they have the players to do so. On last night`s showing we absolutely don`t. It was largely due to our keeper and the profligacy of the Israeli team that we weren`t on the end of a very heavy defeat to a team ranked just inside the world`s top 100. For all the deficiencies in our players we should be able to be better than last night`s showing. McLeish chose to persevere with a failing system which from pretty early saw us under significant pressure. There was absolutely no plan B.

Archived