• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Sign in to follow this  
Shannon

Oldest Junior Football Team?

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess Larkhall can claim to be the oldest club playing junior football then, while East Craigie can claim to be the longest running junior club?

Have they had any periods when they were out the game? Looks to me like they competed during the war years which rules some out on the continuous playing side of things.

Edited by gogsy

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

From Larkhalls website: Or according to the Fife Fanny's take on things "Liarhalls Thistle" website.

Larkall Thistle is a junior football club based in South Lanarkshire in Scotland. Thistle are the oldest junior football club in Scotland and currently play in the Stagecoach West of Scotland League Central District First Division.

Larkhall Thistle were founded in 1878 making them the oldest junior football club in Scotland. They started out at Loch Park in Larkhall but in 1881 moved to their present home, Gasworks Park, situated just behind the main cross in Larkhall. They have just finished the last season of sharing the ground with local rivals Royal Albert.

4 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

From Larkhalls website: Or according to the Fife Fanny's take on things "Liarhalls Thistle" website.

Larkall Thistle is a junior football club based in South Lanarkshire in Scotland. Thistle are the oldest junior football club in Scotland and currently play in the Stagecoach West of Scotland League Central District First Division.

Larkhall Thistle were founded in 1878 making them the oldest junior football club in Scotland. They started out at Loch Park in Larkhall but in 1881 moved to their present home, Gasworks Park, situated just behind the main cross in Larkhall. They have just finished the last season of sharing the ground with local rivals Royal Albert.

None of that states they were playing junior football in 1878 just states they were formed in that year. There was no organised football at that level in Scotland in 1878 , the only organised football at that time was what is now classed  as senior, anything else was just a kick about by two teams.

Edited by gogsy

Taken from the SJFA history. There was an earlier Scottish Junior FA, which was founded in Glasgow in October 1880. This body also ran a Scottish Junior Cup competition during 1880–81 season but appears to have disbanded at the end of that season. Could it be that with the amount of Junior teams kicking about at that time an attempt was made to rope them in, but it failed?

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

None of that states they were playing junior football in 1878 just states they were formed in that year. There was no organised football at that level in Scotland in 1878 , the only organised football at that time was what is now classed  as senior, anything else was just a kick about by two teams.

Better get back onto the keyboard after you read the above post.

6 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Taken from the SJFA history. There was an earlier Scottish Junior FA, which was founded in Glasgow in October 1880. This body also ran a Scottish Junior Cup competition during 1880–81 season but appears to have disbanded at the end of that season. Could it be that with the amount of Junior teams kicking about at that time an attempt was made to rope them in, but it failed?

Yeah we all know about SJC 1880-1 , results used to be on Scottish Football Historical Archive, It was basically a one off competition for Glasgow based teams,

Edited by gogsy

Newtongrange are, of course, the oldest Junior football club. 

The evidence? Well it says in the Bible that the Wise Men followed the Star... 

So let me get this right Larkhall Thistle are not the oldest Junior club because there was no Junior football at that time (still to be proven). So any club formed in 1886 when the SJFA were formed have a legal right to be the oldest Junior club, along with Larkhall. I'm only quoting what Larkhall are saying, so by rights their website should read  they are one of a number of oldest Junior clubs. Is that correct

9 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

So let me get this right Larkhall Thistle are not the oldest Junior club because there was no Junior football at that time (still to be proven). So any club formed in 1886 when the SJFA were formed have a legal right to be the oldest Junior club, along with Larkhall. I'm only quoting what Larkhall are saying, so by rights their website should read  they are one of a number of oldest Junior clubs. Is that correct

No what you stated on your initial post was that Larkhall have always played junior since 1878.  That was the only thing about your initial post I was pointing out to be incorrect. At no time have I stated that they haven't been playing since 1878 . Its quite clear that in their early years they would have just been playing football, like hundreds of village clubs all over Scotland at the same time.

Larkhall Thistle website doesn't claim they've been playing junior since 1878 anyway.;)

Edited by gogsy

Just now, gogsy said:

No what you stated on your initial post was that Larkhall have always played junior since 1878.  That was the only thing about your initial post I was pointing out to be incorrect. At no time have I stated that they haven't been playing since 1878 . Its quite clear that in their early years they would have just been playing football, like hundreds of village clubs all over Scotland at the same time.

So they are Scotlands oldest Friendly club? They must of played some sort of grade because you don't play friendlies for eight years, and thats when you ask the question why didn't they turn senior like the host of little village sides.

4 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

So they are Scotlands oldest Friendly club? They must of played some sort of grade because you don't play friendlies for eight years, and thats when you ask the question why didn't they turn senior like the host of little village sides.

Probably because Royal Albert, also founded in 1878 got there first?:)

11 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Larkhall Thistle website doesn't claim they've been playing junior since 1878 anyway.;)

So I see, they can't actually say when they were a Junior club so that makes Vale of Clyde the oldest Junior club formed in 1873.

7 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

So I see, they can't actually say when they were a Junior club so that makes Vale of Clyde the oldest Junior club formed in 1873.

Not sure what the problem is then?  If Vale of Clyde were formed in 1873 and Larkhall were formed in 1878 then clearly Vale of Clyde are older and your initial post stating the oldest club is Larkhall was incorrect.

Edited by gogsy

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

Not sure what the problem is then?  If Vale of Clyde were formed in 1873 and Larkhall were formed in 1878 then clearly Vale of Clyde are older and your initial post stating the oldest club is Larkhall was incorrect.

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

Correct, because I was always lead to believe that Larkhall were the oldest club in Junior football. However the much more informed Pollok lad drew my attention to Vale of Clyde which I have now ran a beady eye over. I now intend to roar "Liar" into the face of the first Larkhall fan who I come into contact with.

40 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Newtongrange are, of course, the oldest Junior football club. 

The evidence? Well it says in the Bible that the Wise Men followed the Star... 

Ah, but that's new testament - I give you this from Genesis which proves they were playing junior in Lanarkshire pre-Adam:

[1:24] And God said, "Let the earth bring FORTH living creatures of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of every kind." And it was so.

15 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Correct, because I was always lead to believe that Larkhall were the oldest club in Junior football. However the much more informed Pollok lad drew my attention to Vale of Clyde which I have now ran a beady eye over. I now intend to roar "Liar" into the face of the first Larkhall fan who I come into contact with.

I think its reasonable to question stuff like this, there is a lot more source material available for historical football stuff than there was say 15-20 years ago. There is a thread on here somewhere where a Lugar Boswell was convinced his team beat Hearts 10-2 on a league game in the 1880s. He didn't know when in the 1880's it was or even what league it was either. :) Its like Linlithgow supporters still claiming they celebrated their 125th anniversary in 2014 ;)

Edited by gogsy

It was a friendly I'm lead to believe and that is why Hearts do not have it in their records. Lugar do have one claim to fame and that is the fact they might be the only club in Scotland to play at three grades of football. Senior, Junior and Juvenile.

6 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

It was a friendly I'm lead to believe and that is why Hearts do not have it in their records. Lugar do have one claim to fame and that is the fact they might be the only club in Scotland to play at three grades of football. Senior, Junior and Juvenile.

Yes of course it was but try telling that to supporters that have been brought up believing otherwise. What they believe to be facts are nothing of the sort. They aren't liars as such either, just misinformed. None of this is being anti-junior (honest guv) its just trying to say look this isn't right.