Bonetti era at Dundee

7 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

that was a crazy time following Dundee. seemed to be a new story in the papers, not always good, everyday. we got to see some amazing talent and an equal amount of shite! i r3member being at tge dunfermiline game,sure we won 3-0, and my uncle turning to me and saying "wheres the money coming from?" but i was 12 and didnt care less!

must say nemsadze was the most talented player ive seen at dens. Artero waas close but nemsadze was my favourite. the man was just sheer class!

That game was in 2000. In the next 9 meetings of the teams (up to the end of season 02/03) we won 6, drew 2 and lost 1.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I love Jim Duffy, but imagine you have a choice between Bernd Schuster, Raymond Domenech and Jim Duffy and appointing Duffy to replace Bonetti. It's not like we were reeling in the spending at this point.

Nemsadze was absolute class, seeing Caniggia open the scoring in a Dundee derby was just utterly surreal. We were awful in terms of discipline, I remember one terminally stupid red card for DeMarchi which cost us a cup tie against Hearts.

My main memory of the Bonettis was the utter seethe they brought out in Sandy Clark. He hated them. He even wrote a Sunday Mail article dedicating several paragraphs to Dario Bonetti wearing Doc Martens.

The whole thing was mental, even post admin. I got involved in the first handful Dee4life meetings immediately following admin, and it came as no surprise that George Knight later made such a c**t of it as the fans rep on the board.

Impossible to pick a single highlight, but 4500 Dundee fans chanting "You fat b*****d" in unison at Charlie Miller following him losing it in a Tannadice derby would be in the top 5.

My favourite is the 2-0 derby win at the Sticklebrick with Nemsadze's sublime chip for the second - almost every player was involved in the build up to the goal.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DSSUtUeIZh4A&ved=2ahUKEwjtsoTPrvrdAhXFK8AKHemBD-wQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw3PGK_vNkZOiGLYTs0vuehW

6 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Nemsadze was absolute class, seeing Caniggia open the scoring in a Dundee derby was just utterly surreal. We were awful in terms of discipline, I remember one terminally stupid red card for DeMarchi which cost us a cup tie against Hearts.

My main memory of the Bonettis was the utter seethe they brought out in Sandy Clark. He hated them. He even wrote a Sunday Mail article dedicating several paragraphs to Dario Bonetti wearing Doc Martens.

The whole thing was mental, even post admin. I got involved in the first handful Dee4life meetings immediately following admin, and it came as no surprise that George Knight later made such a c**t of it as the fans rep on the board.

Impossible to pick a single highlight, but 4500 Dundee fans chanting "You fat b*****d" in unison at Charlie Miller following him losing it in a Tannadice derby would be in the top 5.

I’ve mentioned this before but one of the funniest things I’ve seen at the football was involving Charlie Miller.

We were playing United and he was on a booking and getting a bit of stick from the fans. The ball goes out for a throw and he walks over to the stand across from the main stand. Suddenly a kid, about ten-twelve roughly, runs full pelt down the steps and gives it the sumo gesture right in his face prompting cheers and laughter for the home end. 

Clearly raging he then flies into a tackle and gets a second booking and a red. If it was on film it would be viral on YouTube.

Sorry off topic but funny to Dundee fans.

44 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

My favourite is the 2-0 derby win at the Sticklebrick with Nemsadze's sublime chip for the second - almost every player was involved in the build up to the goal.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DSSUtUeIZh4A&ved=2ahUKEwjtsoTPrvrdAhXFK8AKHemBD-wQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw3PGK_vNkZOiGLYTs0vuehW

Looks like it was filmed with a potato but I loved his goal against Grimsby:

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cracking wee video this as i was looking for that Nemsadze goal:

https://youtu.be/oG1E0Ypb4rs

With such quality players why did you not win the league?Suppose it was peak Rankers cheating years when they paid OTT with EBT 's and side contracts etc.?

100x worse than any minor dive by an opposition player eh? 

1 hour ago, killiemilan said:

With such quality players why did you not win the league?Suppose it was peak Rankers cheating years when they paid OTT with EBT 's and side contracts etc.?

100x worse than any minor dive by an opposition player eh? 

Probably because the approach to training was largely Sunday league standard. Do a wee jog, pass the ball around, then go to Broughty Ferry to get ice cream, pizza and chill out whilst having a few cigarettes. Oh, and the Scottish lads didn't train with the foreign lot usually. That's when our manager decided to actually stay in the country, he sometimes fancied a wee jaunt back home. The Bonetti's made themselves enemy number 1 with Scottish refs as well. I remember Dario running onto the pitch mid-game a couple of times. So any 50-50 decisions usually went against us. We had people on the board falling out with players and assaulting them outside the ground, we had Bonetti fall out with more players than I can remember and just banning them from the squad. It was utterly mental looking back.

Bonetti was an absolutely amazing scout, just an utterly shite manager. To put it into context, his home record with a squad like that, is similar to Neil McCann's with Dundee.

And finally, there was always a major shite bit in our team. Walter Del Rio playing at CH whilst we had all that quality in the team for example. Or a 20 year old Jamie Langfield playing for half a season.

I'm not saying we could have toppled one of Celtic's best teams or Rangers during peak EBT era, but we certainly could have given them a right good scare if there was any semblance of management going on. It's remarkable we finished 5th that season, and it was purely down to natural ability and moments of magic from some incredible players.

Definitely an era that added some entertainment to Scottish football and one of the most memorable non OF teams in the past few decades.

Although it cost Dundee dearly afterwards, at the time it was great to see such ambition outside of the OF.

I will always remember the 5-1 game at Easter road, Caballero looked a cut above, Nemsadze and Sara were playing too.

Unfortunately for Dundee they met a far more organised and disciplined Hibs team with a few stars of our own in Sauzee, Latapy and Agathe who scored two in that game before jumping ship to Celtic(including probably the best individual goal I've seen live at Easter Road).

It seems in that era there was more money being thrown around in pursuit of success and still a lingering focus on having talismanic individuals in your team, spontaneity and spirit over the scientific, data driven tactical focus of this one. It all made for a more chaotic and often entertaining experience(and more gadgies in the stands!).

5 hours ago, ShrooTheLookingGlass said:

Definitely an era that added some entertainment to Scottish football and one of the most memorable non OF teams in the past few decades.

Although it cost Dundee dearly afterwards, at the time it was great to see such ambition outside of the OF.

I will always remember the 5-1 game at Easter road, Caballero looked a cut above, Nemsadze and Sara were playing too.

Unfortunately for Dundee they met a far more organised and disciplined Hibs team with a few stars of our own in Sauzee, Latapy and Agathe who scored two in that game before jumping ship to Celtic(including probably the best individual goal I've seen live at Easter Road).

It seems in that era there was more money being thrown around in pursuit of success and still a lingering focus on having talismanic individuals in your team, spontaneity and spirit over the scientific, data driven tactical focus of this one. It all made for a more chaotic and often entertaining experience(and more gadgies in the stands!).

Spunking money your club doesn't have and almost killing the club does not equal ambition. Utter fucking nonsense. The vast majority of clubs are ambitious but won't gamble the very existence of their club to chase a goal that simply isn't viable (at least not any more).

Now THAT IS a passing game Mr McCann.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Spunking money your club doesn't have and almost killing the club does not equal ambition. Utter fucking nonsense. The vast majority of clubs are ambitious but won't gamble the very existence of their club to chase a goal that simply isn't viable (at least not any more).

Correct.

I'd say ambition is what Killie are doing now. Appointing a manager who nobody thought we'd get and backing him within our means.

I'd rather have that than signing c***s like McCoist like we did 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Correct.

I'd say ambition is what Killie are doing now. Appointing a manager who nobody thought we'd get and backing him within our means.

I'd rather have that than signing c***s like McCoist like we did 20 years ago.

Aye. Clubs who made big signings way out of their means (mine included) were (and still are) almost always vanity projects for those 'funding'it

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Correct. It did nearly kill us. Yet as fans we didn't let it happen. Our club nearly died twice.
We are still in the top league and financially ( generally no clue) I hope/ pray we are okay.

Are you guys still losing money?

I've no idea, hence the question.

7 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Correct. It did nearly kill us. Yet as fans we didn't let it happen. Our club nearly died twice.
We are still in the top league and financially ( generally no clue) I hope/ pray we are okay.

How do you feel about cheating your way to your best experience as a Dee G_man? Perugia that is.

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Are you guys still losing money?

I've no idea, hence the question.

Accounts for the 16/17 season were a £354k loss (similar to St Johnstone for the same period) - that included the sacking of a manager.

It's very hard to tell how 17/18 and the start of this season has played out as we've been paying off some of Hartley's players and also boosted the budget so I'd expect it'd be in a similar region. FPS basically come out and said when they took over that they expect to lose a few hundred grand a year and fortunately for us, they've covered the shortfall in buying shares rather than making loans. There's also been a considerable loss in the upkeep of Dens that is well into six figures and the club are totally responsible for that in addition to paying rent.  I'd wager that we'd see something similar for 17/18.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Accounts for the 16/17 season were a £354k loss (similar to St Johnstone for the same period) - that included the sacking of a manager.

It's very hard to tell how 17/18 and the start of this season has played out as we've been paying off some of Hartley's players and also boosted the budget so I'd expect it'd be in a similar region. FPS basically come out and said when they took over that they expect to lose a few hundred grand a year and fortunately for us, they've covered the shortfall in buying shares rather than making loans. There's also been a considerable loss in the upkeep of Dens that is well into six figures and the club are totally responsible for that in addition to paying rent.  I'd wager that we'd see something similar for 17/18.

Don't bring Taysides top team into this please.

Archived