Bonetti era at Dundee

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ali_91 said:

This is a very bizarre post, and once more your obsession with Taysides premier club is shining through.

First of all, what Dundee achieved in those years absolutely pales in comparison to what St Johnstone have achieved in RG’s lifetime.

Second of all, you support Dunfermline, which makes this post even more bizarre, Dunfermline even make Dundee look relevant. 

Dunfermline haven’t won a cup in 50 years. 

Dunfermline have qualified for Europe twice this century, both times being knocked out at the first time of asking. St Johnstone have qualified for Europe more  times in the last 6 years than Dunfermline have in their history. 

There’s not one Dunfermline fan under 70 that wouldn’t swap their history for St Johnstone’s. 

Do me a favour. 

:lol:

What a state to get yourself in about a jokey comment that wasn't even directed at you 

The Bonetti era was mental. The first season was great fun, used to love checking ceefax everyday to see who we were going to sign. I remember almost getting a boner reading that Benito Carbone was on the verge of signing.  Nemsadze the obvious standout from the team and if he had a bit of pace would've played at a much higher level.  Lots of other brilliant players. Obviously not worth all the misery we endured in the following years but still puts a smile on my face thinking about that team. 

P.s What's happened to the Morrissey guy? He's usually on these threads shooting his load. 

My abiding memory of this team was one of bizarre possibility.  Not just the headline signings that people remember, or the seemingly endless conveyor belt of players you'd never heard of that turn out to be excellent.  It was things like the rumours of Maradona coming over to play a friendly, or Edgar Davids seemingly ready to sign right as the walls were finally tumbling down.  Whether fact or fiction, the mesmerising surrealism of Dundee's fortunes at that time meant that they were no longer surprising developments.

I remember Dundee winning 3-2 at RP having been 2-0 down - reckon it was about 2000/01, and Bonetti actually scored.  Anyway, that was the best team we played at Kilmarnock that year.

Archived