Prevalence of Old Firms where you live

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Isn't this the perfect example of the 'support your local team' idiocy?

No idiocy is attached.

That's why most clubs feature places in their names and why they all have home grounds they play half their matches at.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No idiocy is attached.

That's why most clubs feature places in their names and why they all have home grounds they play half their matches at.

St Mirren
St Johnstone
Rangers
Celtic
Hibernian
even "Heart of Midlothian" named after a prison.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

St Mirren
St Johnstone
Rangers
Celtic
Hibernian
even "Heart of Midlothian" named after a prison.

Half of those do contain references to place.  Add the rest of the clubs in Scotland if you see it helping your case.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Half of those do contain references to place.  Add the rest of the clubs in Scotland if you see it helping you case.

I don't have a case to make.  We all know that 'supporting your local team' as a form of moral superiority is made up shite and for a Livi fan to bleat about it (which is where I came in) is absolute nonsense.

On 25/12/2018 at 07:58, The Grass Is Greener. said:

young kids are brainwashed into this “Scottish football is shite” attitude by clueless armchair Super Sunday football dads. 

There's tonnes of this type of people in Inverness.  Decking their kids out in United, Liverpool and Chelsea tops, taking them shopping on a Saturday afternoon.  Getting to secondary school age never actually attended a football match in their life.

Suppose, it's not as bad as decking them out in Old Firm tops.

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Isn't this the perfect example of the 'support your local team' idiocy?

There are pubs in Livingston who have sent buses to Ibrox for a good decade before your club moved to the town.

You make a fair point: there were supporters of Rangers living in Livingston, before Livi appeared in ‘95; these fans are ofcourse still entitled to travel to Ibrox and I don’t expect them to change to “support their local team” (defined as closest to where they currently reside). These people will be 40+, right?

It saddens me is that there are young people who, without question, will still travel to Ibrox yet there is a team on their doorstep. I wonder if there will ever be a point where people born in Livi will automatically support Livi... Majority of the time it’s following family ties not geography so, depressingly, I’d suggest it will likely be generations of us breeding profusely/people new to football to build a support! 

2 minutes ago, crispy said:

Majority of the time it’s following family ties not geography so, depressing

No thoughts or sympathy for the community east of London Road?  The family ties that you tore asunder when the previous iteration of yourclub uprooted itself?

Probably not.  It's all about the hoary old 'support the local team' trope...even if we can't define it.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Hello buddy!  Good point.  Are you a Motherwell fan today?

Still following the Juniors, Brother. £14 gets you admission, raffle, programme, two pie and bovrils.

Any you can wear any football shirt you like.

And bring the dug with you.

Raith Rovers  

Raith is a place name albeit historic. Historic name for an area south of Loch Gelly to Kirkcaldy itself. There was a battle of Raith too in 596 between the Angles & an alliance of Britons, Scots & Picts.  

St Johnstone is in a similar vein also as the old name of Perth was St John's Toun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raith%2C_Fife?wprov=sfla1

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

No thoughts or sympathy for the community east of London Road?  The family ties that you tore asunder when the previous iteration of yourclub uprooted itself?

Probably not.  It's all about the hoary old 'support the local team' trope...even if we can't define it.

I’d be gutted if my club moved 16 miles and was renamed (the latter seems to be the main issue). I have sympathy for anyone in that situation. Clyde moved 10 miles, Aberdeen moving 7 miles, so I don’t think distance alone is the problem... I’m struggling to see the relation to my previous post though.

I define “the local team” as the closest team to where someone currently resides. I don’t think people have to support the closest team to their house since that could change multiple times. Once you have ‘your team’ I personally think you stick with it although people are entitled to change I suppose.

I think the factors influencing how someone gets a team are interesting.

6 minutes ago, crispy said:

I think the factors influencing how someone gets a team are interesting.

They are, of course.  Whenever there's been some sot of 'do you support your local team' poll on P&B the outcomes have almost always been in favour of those who don't.  Only about 40% pass the geography test.

Almost always those who use the 'support your local team' trope mean 'Don't support either cheek'.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

They are, of course.  Whenever there's been some sot of 'do you support your local team' poll on P&B the outcomes have almost always been in favour of those who don't.  Only about 40% pass the geography test.

Almost always those who use the 'support your local team' trope mean 'Don't support either cheek'.

It’s a tangled web!

We’ll save the definition, if there is one, of a ‘plastic club’ for another thread :lol:

20 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Oh I think we both know who 'the plastics' are....

I think it’s some the output of some sort of function involving multiple parameters: date of founding; distance between current stadium and previous (multiples?); having a 100% synthetic pitch; dramatic investment; and merger or renaming?

Would a club be ‘plastic’ if formed tomorrow? If Hearts had moved out to Hermiston or Millerhill would they be plastic? If Livi had hybrid (which %?) would it be fine? 

I need to get a life. It’s Boxing Day ffs.

PS. Man City, right? ;)

On 20/10/2018 at 15:48, tree house tam said:

Football is a sport. What the f**k has religion got to do with sport?

Tam, relax... you'll blow a wee gasket son.

Football, all around the world, rose as a part of the local cultures. Be that in Argentina, Turkey, Italy or Scotland. Fans align themselves politically, religiously and geographically. Some fans don't do any of that. Instead, they whine about their teams always being cheated when Boca, Galatasaray, Juve or Celtic pump them. Ya know?

Archived