Prevalence of Old Firms where you live

10 hours ago, crispy said:

You make a fair point: there were supporters of Rangers living in Livingston, before Livi appeared in ‘95; these fans are ofcourse still entitled to travel to Ibrox and I don’t expect them to change to “support their local team” (defined as closest to where they currently reside). These people will be 40+, right?

It saddens me is that there are young people who, without question, will still travel to Ibrox yet there is a team on their doorstep. I wonder if there will ever be a point where people born in Livi will automatically support Livi... Majority of the time it’s following family ties not geography so, depressingly, I’d suggest it will likely be generations of us breeding profusely/people new to football to build a support.

It will require the emotionally immature to stop being seduced by the attractions of attaching themselves to something that gets to compete against others with a stacked deck.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

They are, of course.  Whenever there's been some sot of 'do you support your local team' poll on P&B the outcomes have almost always been in favour of those who don't.  Only about 40% pass the geography test.

Almost always those who use the 'support your local team' trope mean 'Don't support either cheek'.

It's to do with your attachment being geographically based in the first place.

I lived in a few different places in the UK as a young man.  In each of them, Queens remained my local team.

3 hours ago, Glenconner said:

I always felt sorry for St Mirren being so close to Ibrox.

True. However the St Mirren fans I know and have met are some of the most dedicated fans around.  I think the closeness to Ibrox makes the Buddies cling even closer to their town club and support them with real fervour. The bigotry is also a real turn off for folk with 3 figure IQs .

But there's none of that 2 defeats in a row and the scarf is chucked on the pitch nonsense you get from certain large Glasgow clubs. 

Archived