Prevalence of Old Firms where you live

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I used to work in the same office as the Job Centre, you'd see a lot of both sets of fans.

There' s a couple of **** and a few **** drink in my local as well. They're OK. Did laugh at stories of one of them leaving the pub with a face like a well skelpt arse immediately after the semi final. 

Is Aberdeen the “purest” city in Scotland? Generally most will support the local club, with the main competition coming from armchair EPL fans.

There are some Celtic fans I know from the city, most who went to St Joseph’s or Holy Family schools and chose religion over geography.

Those that supported the former rangers and now Sevco tended to be dysfunctional fat kids who were bullied as youngsters and were perhaps looking for a cause (even though they’d never been to Govan never mind the Shankill Road).

Around the area, closer commuter towns like Ellon, Inverurie and Westhill tend to be mainly red - with many of the central belt settlers pitching up in the likes of Portlethen as it’s south.

Go up to the Banffshire and Buchan coast and everything changes though - see the Lewis post.

Despite being in the north east, AFC are probably fourth to both bigot brothers and whatever the local Highland League club is up there......we probably have a better following in Orkney than Buckie, Banff or Broch

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:45, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Maybe not. The one stark difference is that there isn’t an ounce of trouble about it all up there. Lots of teams all over the world raise support based on geography and religion. Problem is that down Glasgow and Ayrshire way, there seems to be more of a fighty issue with supporting the OF. The further away from the West coast you get, the less the problem.

Is Lewis not on the west coast, then? (Asking for a geography teacher).

On 20/10/2018 at 15:45, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Maybe not. The one stark difference is that there isn’t an ounce of trouble about it all up there. Lots of teams all over the world raise support based on geography and religion. Problem is that down Glasgow and Ayrshire way, there seems to be more of a fighty issue with supporting the OF. The further away from the West coast you get, the less the problem.

Where does this myth come from that sectarianism is a west coast phenomenon? Sadly prevalent in places far from the west coast. 

Greenock has the largest Celtic supporters club in the country.  Think that refers to the size of the building rather than the number of members. Across the street from the Morton supporters club is the Rangers supporters club.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, grew up in Central Edinburgh. It was either Hibs or Hearts tbh. At my school there was also a few fans of Meadowbank Thistle and  the gloryhunters followed Aberdeen.  Old Firm types were much less common. 

Now having lived in south Fife for fifteen years it's mainly the Pars or Raith Rovers but also a significant amount of Hibs, Hearts and Celtic too as that area has become an overspill for Edinburgh. What is depressing however is that when you see the local kids playing football they tend to be wearing ManCity, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, Barcelona or Real Madrid kits and most of them have never actually been taken to a match.

I'm from Larkhall, there are a few Celtic supportes believe it or not. There are also a few, probably more, Motherwell supporters although in decline from when I was at school. There are virtually no Accies supporters that I know of despite the park being about three miles away. The rest are Rangers supporters.

You didn't ask about Colorado but I'll tell you anyway. In 16 years I've yet to see a Rangers or Sevco shirt, but I've noticed a handful of Celtic ones. Although that could've been the same guy several times. Depressingly, most of the British shirts on display are Chelsea, Man City or Arsenal. Stan Kroenke, who owns The Arse, also owns the Colorado Rapids although I'm not sure he knows that.

I stay in leith and it’s as you’d expect mainly Hibs, with a wee bit of hearts. I don’t see many old Firm tops tbh. I’d say our main competition is the English premier league tops now, young kids are brainwashed into this “Scottish football is shite” attitude by clueless armchair Super Sunday football dads. 

The season when Leicester won the EPL, I was genuinely shocked how many of their tops were kicking about. Actually pissed me off, it seems these Scottish EPL fans will just support whoever is doing well. Get that to f**k.

Growing up in Livingston it was/is mainly Rangers and Celtic due to Livi being Glasgow overspill. There was the odd Hearts or Hibs fan but not many.

Quite depressing that some of the pubs have more than one bus headed to games in Glasgow and yet Almondvale is often less than half full. 

I’d imagine kids are still mocked in Livi for supporting Livi so it’s not easy to get into. However, noticed that a couple of the Old Firm ‘fans’ (never go to games and I’ve been to those stadiums more with Livi) have been less quick to pipe up about “Livi are shite” this season. Get it up ye!

15 hours ago, crispy said:

Growing up in Livingston it was/is mainly Rangers and Celtic due to Livi being Glasgow overspill. There was the odd Hearts or Hibs fan but not many.

Quite depressing that some of the pubs have more than one bus headed to games in Glasgow and yet Almondvale is often less than half full. 

Isn't this the perfect example of the 'support your local team' idiocy?

There are pubs in Livingston who have sent buses to Ibrox for a good decade before your club moved to the town.

Archived