Prevalence of Old Firms where you live

As an uncultured swine who hasn't seen much of Scotland I'm curious as to how common old firm fans are in certain parts of Scotland ie can you find them in the borders or the arse end of Sutherland

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my Class at School in Renfrewshire, we had 30 pupils. 

I was the only football supporter. 

The rest spent their time dreaming of guarding Walls in a place they hadn't been to and probably still haven't. 

Nae Surrender. 

Originally from the Hillfoots near Alloa so it’s the usual mix of OF fans.

Currently stay in Perth where there are OF fans but quite a bit of the folk lean towards Saintees being the local team. Some Dundee and Utd fans around too.

Also have family on the Isle of Lewis and go there 3 times a year. Lewis is mainly Rangers fans due to the religious make up of the island. One supporters club in Stornaway I think but not your usual shouty shouty Rangers fans. Some Celtic fans on Harris as that end of the island has been mainly catholic for many years. Definite divide in support linked with religious geography. Also, many on Lewis also support their local island league too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2018 at 14:43, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Also have family on the Isle of Lewis and go there 3 times a year. Lewis is mainly Rangers fans due to the religious make up of the island. One supporters club in Stornaway I think but not your usual shouty shouty Rangers fans. Some Celtic fans on Harris as that end of the island has been mainly catholic for many years. Definite divide in support linked with religious geography. Also, many on Lewis also support their local island league too.

^^^ this right here is why the 2 teams should f**k off to the other side of the planet.

25 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

^^^ this right here is why the 2 teams should f**k off to the other side of the planet.

Maybe not. The one stark difference is that there isn’t an ounce of trouble about it all up there. Lots of teams all over the world raise support based on geography and religion. Problem is that down Glasgow and Ayrshire way, there seems to be more of a fighty issue with supporting the OF. The further away from the West coast you get, the less the problem.

2 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Maybe not. The one stark difference is that there isn’t an ounce of trouble about it all up there. Lots of teams all over the world raise support based on geography and religion. Problem is that down Glasgow and Ayrshire way, there seems to be more of a fighty issue with supporting the OF. The further away from the West coast you get, the less the problem.

Football is a sport. What the f**k has religion got to do with sport?

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Football is a sport. What the f**k has religion got to do with sport?

Quite a lot in Scotland unless you’ve had your head up your ass all your life. As the OP asked, I responded to the question and exemplified the OF prevalence on the Western Isles which is largely affected by the geography of Catholics and Protestants.

Wherever you go in Scotland, religion is embroiled in supporting the OF and the further away from the Glasgow area you get, the less intense it is, NI being the exception.

I would have thought the very fact that Celtic for example, who were set up by a Catholic priest, to support mainly Irish Catholic immigrants who were ostracised by the mainly Protestant population of Glasgow and who continue to celebrate their Irish/Catholic/Scottish roots and also have a Celtic Cross on their strip may have given the game away.

Look deeper, you’ll find that religion underpins lots of football teams and culture across the world. Just in Scotland it has a nasty edge to it.

But you probably won’t.

42 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

As for your question asking what the f**k does religion have to do with sport?

Not being a Saints fan, but even I know, just from working in Perth for 11 years, that even St. Johnstone’s roots reflect religion, mainly in their badge and crest. 

It’s a thing teams long ago used to do. 

On 20/10/2018 at 16:01, Jimboyjones1976 said:

I would have thought the very fact that Celtic for example, who were set up by a Catholic priest, to support mainly Irish Catholic immigrants who were ostracised by the mainly Protestant population of Glasgow and who continue to celebrate their Irish/Catholic/Scottish roots and also have a Celtic Cross on their strip may have given the game away.

Peculiar post. 

We all know that The Bigot Kerins set up Celtic as a religiously-focussed money-maker to try and stave off Souperism.  We also all know that, when shown how profitable it could be, he was sent packing to London so that others could get their snouts in the trough.

Has your revision of history become the new orthodoxy among the grey and green rag-wearing hordes?

40 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Peculiar post. 

We all know that The Bigot Kerins set up Celtic as a religiously-focussed money-maker to try and stave off Souperism.  We also all know that, when shown how profitable it could be, he was sent packing to London so that others could get their snouts in the trough.

Has your revision of history become the new orthodoxy among the grey and green rag-wearing hordes?

Brother K still saving us from brass money i see.

Good man

In my Primary class of 30 pupils, give or take a few, half were football fans, one was a Celtic fan, I was a Morton fan and the rest were Rangers fans (although two of them went to Morton games every week)

In my secondary year of 250-odd pupils there was a similar split: half were football fans, there were three Morton fans, two Celtic fans and the rest Rangers fans (although one guy changed from Rangers to Celtic in 3rd year because his da' beat his maw up and his da' was a Rangers fan. Switched to Celtic just to annoy his da'. The only decent reason anyone's ever supported the Old Firm.)

On my street there was about half a dozen of us who played football every day and we were all Morton fans apart from one lassie who was a Celtic fan.

Archived