Next Partick Thistle manager

Next Partick Thistle manager?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, moncaidh ruadh said:

You didn't . A few did. Sure you have a right to an opinion. Like i do. My opinion is that when the team and manager needed the fans most, a number on here were found wanting. 

Well thank goodness you are back posting on internet forums, when we need you the most.

This forum is a home for the moronic. Clearly not all contributors but a lot of them. It's a close run second to the WAT forum which thankfully, i don't get involved in.

There are clearly morons in the Thistle support. They were booing and whistling 25 minutes into the last few games. Just like they were booing and bating Archie on Saturday. There was even one moron sitting at Dunfermline abusing Elliot. Anyone who was at any recent game would presemably agree that was daftness personified.

Bad performances? Yes. Worst performance of Archie's reign? Possibly. Worrying trend? Possibly but there are mitgating circumstances. Worst Thistle performance ever? Not even close. Reasons for sacking Archie? Sure, it's a reason but only a moron would suggest it let alone carry it out. #inarchiewetrust

Edited by moncaidh ruadh

7 minutes ago, moncaidh ruadh said:

Worrying trend? Possibly but there are mitgating circumstances.

:lol:

Thistle are already ten points off the top of the second tier and we haven’t even had a full quarter of a season yet.

This is Archibald’s squad and his best players are the ones who were already at Firhill before he became manager.

There are no mitigating circumstances to utterly guff form for 18 months.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

With this suck it up and get it up ye patter you really think you're somehow getting one over everyone by registering here to show us all that you're having a complete and utter meltdown don't you?

Everyone is just laughing at you, like they always have done. We got our way eventually, Archie is gone and you are having a tantrum over it. Life is pretty good.

Is it definitely him and not just some wind up account? 

:lol:

Thistle are already ten points off the top of the second tier and we haven’t even had a full quarter of a season yet.

This is Archibald’s squad and his best players are the ones who were already at Firhill before he became manager.

There are no mitigating circumstances to utterly guff form for 18 months.

Aye there is, Archie used to play for Thistle you know. That’s more important than the fact that he’s obviously run out of ideas.

I’m with you Colin, the 3rd tier of Scottish football is fine as long as it’s Archie managing us there.

Is Jim McIntyre actually a bad shout? He has won promotion from this league and has won a cup. Might have just been the right time for him to leave County, just as it was the right time for Archie to go here. Doesn't necessarily make him a bad manager. I don't really know the ins and outs of his managerial reigns but on paper he looks a solid option. One for @bunglebonce to answer maybe?

22 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Is it definitely him and not just some wind up account? 

Is anyone sad enough to pretend to be Colin? Colin is definitely sad enough to come on here and throw a tantrum. 

If it is a wind up they're taking it to the extreme of continuing the wind up in the SNP conference thread too.

Worst Thistle performance ever? Not even close. Reasons for sacking Archie? Sure, it's a reason but only a moron would suggest it let alone carry it out. #inarchiewetrust

So you can only sack your manager once they preside over the worst performance in a clubs history? Is this a wind up? Just because things have been bad before, doesn’t mean they can’t be bad now too.

What’s happened to this thread? 🤦‍♂️

I’d quite happily look at a McCall return. Especially looking at the names and lists being thrown about. I also think Duffy isn’t bad either. Both would be motivated and have a good history with the club. McCall may have had a spell that turned sour but he really set us up for that promotion run under Jackie. Doolan and Erskine are both lads found by him. Both club legends.

I’m not convinced at bringing in a guy who doesn’t know us or hasn’t played for us. Our last two managers both did and I think it helps. I have visions of a Murdo McLeod type coming in and us watching a team void of any passion or excitement.

Not really sure who else out of left field? Lambert would be interesting but there is no way we can afford him and he’s just left the EPL.

I’m for backing whomever they bring in. Mon the Jags!

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Is anyone sad enough to pretend to be Colin? Colin is definitely sad enough to come on here and throw a tantrum. 

If it is a wind up they're taking it to the extreme of continuing the wind up in the SNP conference thread too.

If it is him then I think he's just on the bam up because he feels he is the intellectual superior to all other Thistle fans. When in truth he is nothing more than a troll and a fanny. 

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Is Jim McIntyre actually a bad shout? He has won promotion from this league and has won a cup. Might have just been the right time for him to leave County, just as it was the right time for Archie to go here. Doesn't necessarily make him a bad manager. I don't really know the ins and outs of his managerial reigns but on paper he looks a solid option. One for @bunglebonce to answer maybe?

I agree with this. I'm not a massive McIntyre fan, but certainly of the candidates that have been touted so far, he's the strongest for me (I don't think McCall will be coming back to Firhill in a management capacity anytime soon).

Unless we go for someone from left-field then I'd be alright with McIntyre. He's definitely a better option than Duffy.

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Yeah, he has a good CV in many respects.  I don't think it would be a bad appointment in the short term, no-one could realistically predict the long term.

Some new managers like to keep things going as they are and tweak things on a small scale, others will want to put their mark on the team straight away.  I think McIntyre would definitely do the latter, and it is probably what Thistle need after things have been stale for so long.

Applying what he did at County to what he might do at Thistle:

• Preach positive mental attitude to get the squad's confidence up, including giving the appearance of being a strong leader from the touchline and pulling the team over for instructions during small pauses in play.
  • Infuse tactical discipline off the ball.  He won't have the team carry luxury players or those that break the mould, if a young winger lets a full-back run past him repeatedly then he's out of the team.  There is no room for mavericks. Every player has an opponent he is responsible for.  Teams tend to zonally mark across the pitch in modern football, but McIntyre preferred a man-marking system so if an opponent broke through the lines the team knew whose fault it was.  That isn't always the norm, Aberdeen use it quite often and I guess McIntyre probably picked up the idea from McInnes at Bristol.
  • Instil a culture of responsibility and culpability among the players as a result of the above.  It tends to rely on players who are used to the rough'n'tumble of Scottish/British football.
  • Quickly jettison or replace some of the manager's old favourites if they don't fit into his way of thinking.  Some current legends/fan favourites might have to be sacrificed.   
  • Maintain good standards of video analysis and preparation for set-pieces.
  • Use a young player who is underused eg Fitzpatrick as a symbol of progression at the club.  Derek Adams wouldn't trust youth players whatsoever even though everyone thought Tony Dingwall deserved a chance.Archibald has of course used Fitzpatrick and others, but if McIntyre can play Fitzpatrick more to distinguish himself from Archibald then he will. 

Some shortcomings:

• In reality McIntyre barely allowed any pathway from the academy to the first team at all apart from the token gesture at the start and filling the squad at pre-season.  He showed no direct interest in the u20s because they couldn't be trusted to maintain the standards that the man-to-man defensive structure demanded.
  • He had good ideas tactically sometimes but his strategies would let him down.  It seemed he would lose sight sometimes of what made the team good.  When things were rough no-one could guess the team from one week to another.
  • He had a blind spot for central midfielders.  If they could run the length of the pitch and track their man, that was preferable to someone who could dictate play and thread passes between the lines.  It can be good to have both but McIntyre's systems didn't allow for that.
  • For a manager who tends to play wingers, he has rarely used a winger who could consistently beat a full-back for pace and trickery.
  • The culture of senior players ruling the roost means that they can sometimes seem immune to culpability if they make mistakes when other players might get dropped for similar mistakes.
  • The signing strategy can be haphazard.  There might be an overall aim to build a solid base, but there was such a high turnover of players at County despite the long term objective of having a consistent core to the team for a number of years.

Edited by bunglebonce

51 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Lambert would be interesting but there is no way we can afford him and he’s just left the EPL.

Would agree, but if you don't ask, you don't get. What Kilmarnock supporter would ever have imagined Steve Clarke getting their job? Lambert needs to get his managerial career back on track (like Clarke did)  If he did well and got us promoted his stock immediately rises and bigger teams are noticing him.  For all that, I would like to see Corky back at Firhill. At least the football on display would be exciting!

The board's statement (overlooking the idiosyncratic grammar) "if we are to still achieve our aim [of promotion this season], a change had to happen now" suggests that the incoming manager will be required to achieve promotion in 3/4 of a season, largely using players picked by his successor - in other words, either a supremely confident candidate or one with nothing to lose by taking a gamble. Given the current position of 3rd bottom, is that a challenge that any of those suggested would even want to take up? They might feel that they'd be set up to fail.

Of course, most newly appointed managers get into that position by taking on failure in the first place, but not usually with such a limited time to achieve an objective.

I’m not convinced at bringing in a guy who doesn’t know us or hasn’t played for us. Our last two managers both did and I think it helps. I have visions of a Murdo McLeod type coming in and us watching a team void of any passion or excitement.

I’m the exact opposite of this. We’ve gone completely stale, and someone with a fresh outlook who doesn’t know the club and is evaluating based on what he’s seeing at the time, rather than dwelling on the failures at the end of the Archibald regime, would be far better to sort out the mess we’re in imo.

Ultimately, a good manager will be a good manager regardless of who they’ve played for before.

Ah, Red Monkey. One of the last remaining Archibald fanboys too blind to see what was happening, and presumably with his poster still attached to his bedroom ceiling.

Talks about performances being more important than results. Okay - other than QOS, which performance was good? East Fife? Dunfermline? Ayr? Was Saturday a sign that performances were getting  better? Did the manager try changing things to influence the outcome of the game?

It was the right decision to sack the management team. 100%. Suck it up and get right behind the new manager and his team.

Edited by Midlife Crisis

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Yeah, he has a good CV in many respects.  I don't think it would be a bad appointment in the short term, no-one could realistically predict the long term.

Some new managers like to keep things going as they are and tweak things on a small scale, others will want to put their mark on the team straight away.  I think McIntyre would definitely do the latter, and it is probably what Thistle need after things have been stale for so long.

Applying what he did at County to what he might do at Thistle:

• Preach positive mental attitude to get the squad's confidence up, including giving the appearance of being a strong leader from the touchline and pulling the team over for instructions during small pauses in play.
  • Infuse tactical discipline off the ball.  He won't have the team carry luxury players or those that break the mould, if a young winger lets a full-back run past him repeatedly then he's out of the team.  There is no room for mavericks. Every player has an opponent he is responsible for.  Teams tend to zonally mark across the pitch in modern football, but McIntyre preferred a man-marking system so if an opponent broke through the lines the team knew whose fault it was.  That isn't always the norm, Aberdeen use it quite often and I guess McIntyre probably picked up the idea from McInnes at Bristol.
  • Instil a culture of responsibility and culpability among the players as a result of the above.  It tends to rely on players who are used to the rough'n'tumble of Scottish/British football.
  • Quickly jettison or replace some of the manager's old favourites if they don't fit into his way of thinking.  Some current legends/fan favourites might have to be sacrificed.   
  • Maintain good standards of video analysis and preparation for set-pieces.
  • Use a young player who is underused eg Fitzpatrick as a symbol of progression at the club.  Derek Adams wouldn't trust youth players whatsoever even though everyone thought Tony Dingwall deserved a chance.Archibald has of course used Fitzpatrick and others, but if McIntyre can play Fitzpatrick more to distinguish himself from Archibald then he will. 

Some shortcomings:

• In reality McIntyre barely allowed any pathway from the academy to the first team at all apart from the token gesture at the start and filling the squad at pre-season.  He showed no direct interest in the u20s because they couldn't be trusted to maintain the standards that the man-to-man defensive structure demanded.
  • He had good ideas tactically sometimes but his strategies would let him down.  It seemed he would lose sight sometimes of what made the team good.  When things were rough no-one could guess the team from one week to another.
  • He had a blind spot for central midfielders.  If they could run the length of the pitch and track their man, that was preferable to someone who could dictate play and thread passes between the lines.  It can be good to have both but McIntyre's systems didn't allow for that.
  • For a manager who tends to play wingers, he has rarely used a winger who could consistently beat a full-back for pace and trickery.
  • The culture of senior players ruling the roost means that they can sometimes seem immune to culpability if they make mistakes when other players might get dropped for similar mistakes.
  • The signing strategy can be haphazard.  There might be an overall aim to build a solid base, but there was such a high turnover of players at County despite the long term objective of having a consistent core to the team for a number of years.

He was with you longer but whilst some of that is familiar, a lot of it doesn't sound like the McIntyre who left us for you. The most obvious contradiction being his absolute championing of Ian McShane in central midfield when most of our support couldn't see what he brought. Appreciate he ultimately faded out with you too but he was bery much a midfielder who dictated play and threaded passes. A young player to bring through also.

McIntyre did very well for us and I'd happily have him back when next we have a vacancy. I'm surprised he's not got back in somewhere yet. Don't know if he's maybe still being paid by you and that's a factor? How long was he under contract for when he was sacked?