Next Partick Thistle manager

Next Partick Thistle manager?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

My understanding had always been it was a gambling debt paid off by several notable senior folk rather than actual betting on Thistle games. Surprised that Ayr took a punt on him if it were that.

He had his gambling debts paid off by the board as part of his deal to join us.

Surprised that Ayr took a punt on him if it were that.

Our chairman has went on record saying he had absolutely no intention of giving him the job but after McCall applied for it, and Neil Lennon I believe recommended him, he gave him an interview and offered him the job a couple of hours later.

In terms of McCall losing his job I heard he was borrowing money off of players and his gambling debts were paid off by the club. No idea how true that is though.

Gerry Britton should be nowhere near the recruitment process. We do not need any more “old boys club” appointments. We need someone with a fresh approach who believes in attacking football, is not obsessed with shoehorning players into 4231 formation and can get performances out of bang average mediocre players.

And who knows a right back that we can sign.

I disagree. There's no reason why Gerry Britton shouldn't be involved in the process. Our last two managerial appointments were largely successful as we went from mid table championship and peaked at top six premiership. This time there are no realistic candidates from the "old boys club" as you call it for Britton or anyone else to consider.

Firstly, is he realistic candidate? We don't even know if he interested in pursuing a career in football management. Secondly, having had a couple of seasons with us a decade and a half ago hardly makes him part of the bricks and mortar.
I'm not sure if anyone is actually serious about Craigen as manager material especially after witnessing how things are going at Dens after their appointment of a TV pundit.

5 hours ago, Walter said:

Firstly, is he realistic candidate? We don't even know if he interested in pursuing a career in football management. Secondly, having had a couple of seasons with us a decade and a half ago hardly makes him part of the bricks and mortar.
I'm not sure if anyone is actually serious about Craigen as manager material especially after witnessing how things are going at Dens after their appointment of a TV pundit.

Craigan's done a really good job with our u20s/Reserves. He won the youth cup in 2016 and has largely finished towards the top end of the table. 6th in his first season and 5th the last two seasons. He was also involved with the N.I u19s coaching staff IIRC.

Whether that's enough to warrant approaching him for the Thistle job, who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In honesty he seems aware he's got a good thing going with BT and he gets day to day football involvement as part of the Motherwell coaching staff alongside his Reserve manager gig. He had previously distanced himself from the Motherwell job when Baraclough was binned and was clear he'd no interest in succeeding McGhee when he was asked about it:

“I have some good jobs at the minute. I love it with the Motherwell under-20s and my work with BT is terrific. “It would be a lot for me to give up." 29/09/15

"You can’t enjoy that. My salaries over the last three years have been a lot more enjoyable than what that one was." 29/09/15

"I said clearly that it's not for me," he told BT Sport. "I don't want it." 01/03/17

Obviously things may have changed since then but it'd be quite a u-turn.

Edited by capt_oats

Whoever it is will have to be a good motivator, because this squad is full of players that should be better than they show each week.

Hughes used to be able to do this, but he's a busted flush these days, so I'd say he's out.

McCall can still do it, but he won't leave his gig to come back.

None of the other names mentioned are jumping out at me.

I got pelters for this after the game, but I'd like to see McCoist take it for a wee while - there's a chance it was the pressure of the **** gig that affected his football style, and he might be able to cheer the place up a bit.

It would also give the other teams a good laugh if/when it crashed and burned.

Of course, there's no chance of it actually happening anyway, so I don't mind the derision I'll get for saying it!

John Hughes has done remarkably well in football if you look beyond his time at Raith.

If you look at his time at Raith, he seemed absolutely mental, blamed the SFA, players, media and took them down without touching the sides

Edited by diegomarahenry

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Elvis just been binned at Paphos. Hmmmmm

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

John Hughes has done remarkably well in football if you look beyond his time at Raith.

If you look at his time at Raith, he seemed absolutely mental, blamed the SFA, players, media and took them down without touching the sides

One for the money, two for the show!

Shree to get ready...NO, NO, NO!

Can’t help that noticing Gary Naysmith is never in the running for these.  We have a long list of managers who left us for ‘better’ clubs, and who generally fell flat. Gary hasn’t really proved himself at Palmerston, he seems to do OK so his job is secure, but never well enough to attract attention.  He’s not that popular with some of our support, I take a more nuanced view, he is competent if a bit safety first. Time well tell.