Next Partick Thistle manager

Next Partick Thistle manager?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

What did we do to this weirdo that means he's always round here fishing for bites?

He's a proper oddball. Vowed never to return to P&B if Thistle won a certain match a few years back, and used to pretend he was betting and winning thousands on our opponents every week. One of these people who probably shouldn't be allowed access to the internet.

a new face our rivals may not expect and will not be prepared for.
Thistle once again trying to corner the market in cringeworthy statements?

Considering he was linked with the Falkirk job and applied and was then heavily linked with Partick a few days before he was appointed suggests that most of the teams in the league would’ve expected a team to appoint him at some point.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Considering he was linked with the Falkirk job and applied and was then heavily linked with Partick a few days before he was appointed suggests that most of the teams in the league would’ve expected a team to appoint him at some point.

Exactly. Hardly came from out of the blue and I doubt any club is very concerned.

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think she means he is a relatively unknown quantity up here regarding his tactics and how he will set his team up in contrast to ' been roon the hooses' types like McIntyre and Hughes. 

Pretty pleased with that. Delighted to have avoided the usual dross (Duffy, Hughes, Stubbs) and from the sounds of it, he knows what he wants to do, and has a plan in place already to achieve it. Whether or not that plan will work, or he'll be able to implement it properly is an entirely separate issue, but it looks promising that he's done some research.

28 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

He's a proper oddball. Vowed never to return to P&B if Thistle won a certain match a few years back, and used to pretend he was betting and winning thousands on our opponents every week. One of these people who probably shouldn't be allowed access to the internet.

He's just jealous cos Thistle are cool and St.Mirren are meh. 

Edited by Acastus

First post on here so a quick nod to fuctifano for the name. Take it in the spirit it is meant, a huge compliment, coz I think you have the best name on the forum.

To other matters.  I hope Caldwell really has done his homework on our squad coz the amount of games half the team are useless in the last quarter is shocking. This goes all the way to the top, as the board and the management team must have been watching the same garbage as the rest of us, but they had the power to do something about it. It took far too long.

I now agree that everyone should get behind the new manager, but if I pay my 20 quid and watch some of that shower of wage thieves strolling through another defeat, then I shall feel they deserve to be given pelters and they should accept it. Some of this talk about it upsetting them is nonsense. For 18 months we have given pish a bad name and it is time to turn that around. The first thing that has to change is the attitude and desire to win of a good few of the first team squad.  Again Gary Caldwell was never my ideal choice, but he is here now, so all the best to him and I hope he can get things turned around starting with Alloa.

Initial reaction to finding out the news wasn't absolute revulsion in the same way as if we'd appointed some of the other names listed. A decent start, but he's got a lot of work on to stabilise us and figure out what to do with a fairly top-heavy/light at the back squad, especially seeing as his interview mentions (pretty reasonably) that we need to start by solidifying at the back. edit: first impressions of his ability to do so are good, I must say.

On a lighter note, and shamelessly stolen from the hibs.net archive about that old spoof Twitter account that, seemingly, is kaput:

"In the bathroom cubicle- giving myself the half time team talk." Gary Caldwell

"Contract talks stalled: I scrawled BRING BACK STRACHAN on Lawell's office door with a compass. As yet, they've not come backwith a counter." - Gary Caldwell

"What's the name of the other guy from WHAM! ? See, nobody knows. That's the future that's waiting for Stephen McManus." - Gary Caldwell

"Gary Caldwell's arm is sore. Maybe I need to stop sleeping with that captains armband on." - Gary Caldwell

"I see myself as a missionary for Total Football, spreading it round the world... I'd like to take it to The Dutch." - Gary Caldwell

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I just want to point out that many fans didn't want a 'run of the mill' been round the houses manager. So the board has delivered exactly the opposite and listened to the fans. It seems he excelled regards preparation for the interview process and he does tick a lot of boxes, not least he has played at the top in Scotland and England, has 55 national team caps (wont forget that Hampden winner v France!), worked under old school and more modern managers, won the FA Cup and has seen success as a manager as well as some failure and all of this as he is only 36 years old. 

He may not excite everyone but the professionalism the club has had through this process in the last 7-10 days from Archie's removal to the interview process, having Gerry and Scott take the team, Christie going back to playing, Banzo stepping up as captain at weekend and now Gary's appointment, we've got a good bunch of players and a staff that all want to be the best they can be. 

Our club isn't perfect, but hopefully many fans will see the board and the administration, who work very hard, are doing things the right way and structure of professionalism to achieve success. We just need the right management team to inspire and develop the players in the squad. Let's hope this is the start of one of those era's again with Gary and Brian.   

Time to show some positivity and get behind new manager, the players but also recognize the board have done well in this process and communicated well to the support. Results are now needed, but in past we've not done it this way. So let's hope 3-4K fans show up this weekend to push the team on and get us back up the league! Mon' the Jags! 

I hope he does well, as he’s the manager of the football club I support.

You’d assume the goal is still top 4 and he’ll be allowed the January window unless things are *disastrous*. Guess it depends whether you think we have a good enough squad with one or two tweaks in January to get there and they just needed a new coach, or this needs a Ross County-every-Premiership-season style gutting in January.

I’m probably somewhere in the middle, I think we’re not far away going forward especially if Coulibaly is at least 80% of the player he was at Killie. Defensively we’re miles off it though.

Also, every manager says they’ll improve the fitness, and it’s amazing how many of them know each other well from coaching courses.

34 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

So let's hope 3-4K fans show up this weekend to push the team on and get us back up the league! Mon' the Jags! 

Hopefully not as we're playing away at Alloa on Saturday :angel

4 minutes ago, Midlife Crisis said:

Can’t believe there are fans on Facebook upset and angry that Duffy didn’t get it. Crazy.

Similar with Yogi Hughes. Bonkers!