Next Partick Thistle manager

Next Partick Thistle manager?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, moncaidh ruadh said:

He was the Thistle manager. As such, he was bound to make mistakes and do unfathomable stuff. Just like Lambie did before him. And Auld before him. And McParland before him. He and the players should have been given time to take responsibility for it and sort it out.

Like Dick Campbell? Like Derek Whyte?

If the same logic which applies to Archibald and Lambie doesn't apply to Campbell and Whyte, feel free to explain why.

This is happy clapper 101 which happens at every club when someone who has a slavish devotion to a manager for whatever reason just can't accept that they're failing. They say no alternative manager could do better, a reasonable person points out that the merits of other managers are irrelevant to the job the incumbent is doing, the happy clapper responds by saying this only proves no one can provide a name who'd do better. Then someone does suggest an alternative manager and they pour scorn on that manager's record, reaching to far more preposterous angles to discredit that manager than any fellow fan of their club is offering to argue the incumbent has to go.

Months down the line, if the happy clapper's favoured manager is still in post and underperforming while that suggested alternative is doing a superb job elsewhere, that counts for f**k all. You don't know it would have turned out better, maybe that one club is just right for that manager, it doesn't mean it'll work out here. If the happy clapper's favoured manager has been sacked, you should be regretting it even if you're in a better position than you were when he left, because it was bound to come good if you just stuck by that club legend and he'd certainly be doing better than whoever this upstart is.

The happy clappers I've described above like to claim they're the true fans of their club, but in reality they're more concerned with saving their own face. While they love to deride anyone who dares criticise a failure as not being a real fan for daring to speak up, the people criticising want a change because they're concerned about what's best for their club, they think the manager is beyond delivering it and they're willing to hold their hands up and admit the mistake if they previously supported that manager; the happy clappers in question would rather their club suffered three successive relegations than ever admit they were wrong about their precious club legend. Their own non-existent reputation for accuracy is genuinely more important to those self proclaimed superfans than the future of their football club.

As I'm not a Partick Thistle fan I can't say for sure, but I can only assume that Colin Quinn was protesting outside Firhill when Gerry Collins was sacked.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Like Dick Campbell? Like Derek Whyte?

If the same logic which applies to Archibald and Lambie doesn't apply to Campbell and Whyte, feel free to explain why.

This is happy clapper 101 which happens at every club when someone who has a slavish devotion to a manager for whatever reason just can't accept that they're failing. They say no alternative manager could do better, a reasonable person points out that the merits of other managers are irrelevant to the job the incumbent is doing, the happy clapper responds by saying this only proves no one can provide a name who'd do better. Then someone does suggest an alternative manager and they pour scorn on that manager's record, reaching to far more preposterous angles to discredit that manager than any fellow fan of their club is offering to argue the incumbent has to go.

Months down the line, if the happy clapper's favoured manager is still in post and underperforming while that suggested alternative is doing a superb job elsewhere, that counts for f**k all. You don't know it would have turned out better, maybe that one club is just right for that manager, it doesn't mean it'll work out here. If the happy clapper's favoured manager has been sacked, you should be regretting it even if you're in a better position than you were when he left, because it was bound to come good if you just stuck by that club legend and he'd certainly be doing better than whoever this upstart is.

The happy clappers I've described above like to claim they're the true fans of their club, but in reality they're more concerned with saving their own face. While they love to deride anyone who dares criticise a failure as not being a real fan for daring to speak up, the people criticising want a change because they're concerned about what's best for their club, they think the manager is beyond delivering it and they're willing to hold their hands up and admit the mistake if they previously supported that manager; the happy clappers in question would rather their club suffered three successive relegations than ever admit they were wrong about their precious club legend. Their own non-existent reputation for accuracy is genuinely more important to those self proclaimed superfans than the future of their football club.

As I'm not a Partick Thistle fan I can't say for sure, but I can only assume that Colin Quinn was protesting outside Firhill when Gerry Collins was sacked.

Since the advent of online forums etc i have been bitterly critical of two managers. Gerry Collins and Dick Campbell. I am happy to stand by that criticism.

The era of DC is not a time i remember fondly. That in part, was the reason for my non attendance during that time. I wasn't the only one who was lost to the cause during that era. It's the only time in 38 years i have actively decided to saty away from Firhill.

I'm glad it was brought up though. It serves as a timely remember that things might be relatively poor over the last few games but they are nowhere near as bad as then. It also serves as a reminder that if you make the wrong decision as a club, you are in danger of disappearing into the wilderness for a decade. Think on.

11 minutes ago, moncaidh ruadh said:

Since the advent of online forums etc i have been bitterly critical of two managers. Gerry Collins and Dick Campbell. I am happy to stand by that criticism.

The era of DC is not a time i remember fondly. That in part, was the reason for my non attendance during that time. I wasn't the only one who was lost to the cause during that era. It's the only time in 38 years i have actively decided to saty away from Firhill.

I'm glad it was brought up though. It serves as a timely remember that things might be relatively poor over the last few games but they are nowhere near as bad as then. It also serves as a reminder that if you make the wrong decision as a club, you are in danger of disappearing into the wilderness for a decade. Think on.

You are basically saying that you are correct on all 3 managers and it's ok to criticise if you think it's ok. Think on.

'

5 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Yet it was you who brought his name up in the first place. 

What a cretin you are.

Lets keep it civil my friend we are all jags fans after all it's just a bit of banter.

We should meet up at the next game and chew the fat together ill get the pies if you get the bovril :)

Edited by moncaidh ruadh

Thanks everyone I feel much better now getting these things of my chest very cathartic and soooooo much cheaper than a shrink.

I was just very sad and upset over you know what. its been a traumatic few days and i apologise if I have been a little snappy with some posters i dont mean any harm and my bark is much worse than my bite so please don't think to badly of me as there's no need to spank the monkey.

Big shout oot to all the Thistle fans the new management team will have my full support, so lets smash it jags and have the most awesome season ever.

Good luck to all the otther teams and posters :thumsup2

Bye bye everyone :bounce4

Edited by moncaidh ruadh

Thanks everyone I feel much better now getting these things of my chest very cathartic and soooooo much cheaper than a shrink.

I was just very sad and upset over you know what. its been a traumatic few days and i apologise if I have been a little snappy with some posters i dont mean any harm and my bark is much worse than my bite so please don't think to badly of me as there's no need to spank the monkey.

Big shout oot to all the Thistle fans the new management team will have my full support, so lets smash it jags and have the most awesome season ever.

Good luck to all the otther teams and posters :thumsup2

Bye bye everyone :bounce4

Bi-polar?

What a whack job.

His fawning on Christie Elliott is equally laughable. 

The first task of the next manager should be to strip him of the captaincy with a view to punting him on January 1st. Not since Kenny Arthur squirmed his way to a testimonial has a player done such a fraud job on us. 

I like many on this forum are still big Archie fans. Always will be. But the arguments by red monkey are are clearly not shared by anyone I know in my fellow Jags fraternity.

I held on with the belief he’d turn it around until the loss versus Dunfermline and Ross County at home was the last straw.

All you have to do is look at the statistics and I applauded the board for giving him a chance to redeem himself when many on here wanted him sacked. I believe he deserved a shot. If the aim is promotion at first time of asking it was right time for Jacqui to let him go.

So it’s time...and the decision has been made so let’s rather than coming on here to cause conflict and start a volatile debate with no value why don’t we look forward and applaud the board again for making the move.

You can’t deny that Archie looked tired and had had enough. He was a shadow of the man from out top 6 team in the 16/17 season.

I saw today that McGarry in the Herald has said that coaches from all over the world have applied and some with incredible experiences and success. Plus Jose Mourinho may be an option later this week! [emoji6]

The fact remains that we’re a club that’s failing on the pitch but we’re a club unlike DU that has a great setup, debt free, training facility on way and a reinvested youth academy. We’re a few tweaks away from getting back on track. This appointment needs to be correct. I said earlier I’d prefer someone who knows the club but in reflection and some farther conversations I think we need a person who fits our goals not just on the park but the long term vision and culture. We’ve built more professionalism, a team that has put Thistle into the 21st C. Where not setup like Man City but we’re trying to do things like that on a much smaller scale and there is no doubt that will be attractive to some coaches who want to get back to top or show their ambition. So whilst I think Duffy or McCall would be fine appointments I am certainly open to see if we can get our own Steve Clarke. Why not? I think it’s possible. I’d rather spend more on a top coach and sacrifice a little in the player budget than the other way round.

Let’s see what happens but I’m excited and a tad scared going into the next few days.

The one thing I am convinced of is we need to stop the conflict and the negativity. This weekend v the Arabs let’s get right behind the boys and no matter the result clap them off the field and let them know we want them to succeed. They booing and abuse isn’t going to help anyone. We’ve got a promotion to earn!

Worth mentioning, at this point, we only recovered from a "decade in the wilderness" by sacking a club legend (John Connolly), and have gone from strength to strength since, after hiring someone who probably hadnt heard of us until he was brought to the club.