Best uncapped player in Scotland

Toshson

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Lewis MacLeod was called up once or twice to gain experience, in the same way that several other youngsters were around the same period. I don't think that's a reasonable comparison to make.

The comparison might be Dorrans.  I don't think it really matters who the seventh pick central midfielder is, or who the sixth pick is.  It's like fourth choice goalkeeper at national level.  Even if Arfield had been capped, he'd have about three of them now.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scott Allan
Steven MacLean
Harry Cochrane
David Gray
Paul Hanlon
Darren McGregor
Andy Considine
Mark Reynolds
Greg Stewart
Dylan McGeouch
Barrie McKay
All better than Stephen Dobbie, IMO.
Think you'll find Barrie McKay is a one cap wonder. Allan can't even get a game for his club. Cochrane can't get a game for the under 21's. The rest are average at best.

8 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Dunno about "best" but I'm surprised that Andrew Considine, Mark Reynolds, David Gray and Scott Allan have never been capped.

Considering some of the guff that have been capped, especially at centre half, it's quite surprising. 

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

MARTIN BOYLE

Nah mate, he's Finnish.

6 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
8 hours ago, craigkillie said:
Dylan McGeouch and Barrie McKay both have Scotland caps.

So does Paul Hanlon

Nope. Uncapped sub.

1 hour ago, Toshson said:

Think you'll find Barrie McKay is a one cap wonder. Allan can't even get a game for his club. Cochrane can't get a game for the under 21's. The rest are average at best.

Allan can't get a game for his club because his club is Celtic. That doesn't make him worse than Stephen Dobbie.

The rest may be average at best, but I'm afraid the same is very much true of your beloved striker. Next you'll be telling us Rory McAllister or Alan Trouten should be getting call ups.

Allan can't get a game for his club because his club is Celtic. That doesn't make him worse than Stephen Dobbie.
The rest may be average at best, but I'm afraid the same is very much true of your beloved striker. Next you'll be telling us Rory McAllister or Alan Trouten should be getting call ups.
Think you'll find I was talking in past tence when I put the original post on. When Stephen Dobbie was plying his trade in top teams in the championship, was the time Levein should of gave him a chance. Nothing I would like more to have a young similar player to him in the Scotland squad. But to be perfectly honest McBurnie and Russell wouldn't lace Dobbies boots six to eight year ago.

As for the comment about Shankland from Ayr, he's one of most over rated players in the championship. Fair enough he's scored a few goals for a team that's in a very false position in the championship. But come the end of the season I fully expect Queens to be above them and Dobbie to have scored more goals than Shankland.

7 minutes ago, Toshson said:
16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Think you'll find I was talking in past tence when I put the original post on. When Stephen Dobbie was plying his trade in top teams in the championship, was the time Levein should of gave him a chance. Nothing I would like more to have a young similar player to him in the Scotland squad. But to be perfectly honest McBurnie and Russell wouldn't lace Dobbies boots six to eight year ago.

Here's Dobbie's entire record in England. It's nothing special at all, the only season that's in any way good is 2011-12. Was he in front of Kenny Miller or Steven Naismith? Even the likes of Mackail-Smith were scoring more goals at that time.

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 18.34.38.png

7 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

It's Scott Arfield for me, I'm not sure why he was not capped by Scotland when he was doing so well for Burnley in the Premier League.

I do not see a problem with Arfield not having been called up by Scotland.

As for Uncapped players, one that could be next in line for a cap is Stevie Mallan if he continues to play well for Hibs

Here's Dobbie's entire record in England. It's nothing special at all, the only season that's in any way good is 2011-12. Was he in front of Kenny Miller or Steven Naismith? Even the likes of Mackail-Smith were scoring more goals at that time.

5bb7a19666a8f_ScreenShot2018-10-05at18_34_38.thumb.png.fa22f29d04d009b2dac759ce77f88e41.png
Good point about Mackail-smith an out and out striker all his days. Dobbie down south was an attacking midfield player much of the time. I'm looking at the likes of Stevie May, David Clarkson and Chris McGuire all of whom earned a Scottish cap and went down to English championship and didn't do near as much as Dobbie.

Would it be right to suggest Dobbie was peaking at the wrong time? I can't remember all the details but I'm sure if he'd been at that level nowadays he'd be a certain call up, he was just unfortunate better players were also playing well then. 

Same with Arfield, a starting EPL regular would usually walk into squads, yet the quality was so deep he couldn't make it.

Scott Allan is surely a joke shout though? He was absolutely dreadful at Dundee and done alright at Hibs. 

16 hours ago, Toshson said:

Cochrane is injured.

Cochrane is injured.
Cochrane's a great young talent for the future, but for someone to reply and say he's the best Scottish player never to be capped, well that's doesn't add up.
I'm sure if he progresses the way he's going he'll become a regular for the national team. [emoji106]

Archived