Team GB

JamesM82

FIFA have announced that the four home nations have agreed that there can be a women's Team GB in the 2020 Olympics.

I don't have a problem with this per se, as nothing came of the teams entering in 2012, but the concern I have is the qualifying mechanism. FIFA say that England are the "nominated country" for qualification, which depends on performance in the 2019 Women's World Cup. What happens if Scotland are drawn to play England? If the Scotland players want to go to the Olympics, it would then be in their interests to lose the game.

Have the SFA even considered this problem?

https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/y=2018/m=10/news=organising-committee-takes-important-decisions-on-fifa-women-s-world-cup.html

"Tokyo 2020 – possible participation of the Great Britain women’s football team: FIFA has now received written confirmation from the four British associations, confirming their intention to allow a British women’s team to try to qualify for the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020, and that England will be the nominated country to seek a qualification slot for Tokyo 2020 at the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019. This agreement only applies for the women’s, and not the men’s, team."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like representing their country at their first ever World Cup will be somewhat more important to them than possibly qualifying for the Olympics. I doubt there will be any issue with them allowing another team (and England of all teams) to beat them so that 6 or 7 of them at most can end up in a squad for the Olympics.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I feel like representing their country at their first ever World Cup will be somewhat more important to them than possibly qualifying for the Olympics. I doubt there will be any issue with them allowing another team (and England of all teams) to beat them so that 6 or 7 of them at most can end up in a squad for the Olympics.

Why take the risk? Olympics is a big tournament in women's football, genuinely comparable in standard to the World Cup. The Scotland players who would be likely to earn selection are far more likely to win a medal there than to go deep in the World Cup.

22 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

They've agreed because nobody cares about the women's team.

That makes no sense. Why be opposed to a men's team, if you're fine with a women's team?

A good thing for the women's team.  The Olympics are far more of a big deal to them than it is to the men's game, where it's little more than a sideshow (except to Brazil, but they've won it now).  Even if somehow they decided that they were going to put forward a men's team, I've never really bought that it would make any difference to the membership of the individual nations, much less if the women did it.

It's extremely unlikely, but it would be mental if Scotland finished in the top 3 European countries at the World Cup, England didn't, and yet they didn't get to go to the Olympics. This entire decision is weird. Why not just allow the nations to compete, and if one of them makes it, they get to be the GB representatives?

I can't see any Scottish player not badly want to beat England at a World Cup, the only way I can see it as an issue would be in the vanishingly unlikely event they met in the 3rd place play-off with two European countries in the final. That's basically a friendly with the consequence of winning being to put yourself out of the Olympics.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's extremely unlikely, but it would be mental if Scotland finished in the top 3 European countries at the World Cup, England didn't, and yet they didn't get to go to the Olympics. This entire decision is weird. Why not just allow the nations to compete, and if one of them makes it, they get to be the GB representatives?

I can't see any Scottish player not badly want to beat England at a World Cup, the only way I can see it as an issue would be in the vanishingly unlikely event they met in the 3rd place play-off with two European countries in the final. That's basically a friendly with the consequence of winning being to put yourself out of the Olympics.

I can only assume that they've nominated one country (in this case England) because the other countries would object to GB having >1 "bite at the cherry" in qualification.

Just now, JamesM82 said:

I can only assume that they've nominated one country (in this case England) because the other countries would object to GB having >1 "bite at the cherry" in qualification.

Good point.

22 hours ago, GordonS said:

If both teams made the 3rd place play-off it would not matter as Scotland would not count for the top 3 European places, as England have not in the past and the place would go to "England" no matter the outcome.

It however is still possible our players can eliminate England at some earlier stage in the competition and then kill any Olympic hopes they may personally have.

7 hours ago, realmadrid said:

If both teams made the 3rd place play-off it would not matter as Scotland would not count for the top 3 European places, as England have not in the past and the place would go to "England" no matter the outcome.

It however is still possible our players can eliminate England at some earlier stage in the competition and then kill any Olympic hopes they may personally have.

Tbh I'd be surprised if they wouldn't rather put England out of the World Cup and progress at the same time, than have a chance of getting into the Olympics. The Olympics may be a big deal in women's football, but the World Cup is still bigger.

On 07/10/2018 at 04:21, Stevieda said:

I think it just means team GB need a ranking to qualify so they've nominated England's ranking to count as team GBs. After that it's a mixed team that enters as long as England's ranking is high enough to qualify. Seems sensible?

It's not the ranking, it's the top 3 European finishers at the World Cup. If they need to separate any who go out at the same stage they'll use a play-off. 

On 07/10/2018 at 09:20, Enigma said:

Hopefully any Scots will refuse the call.

Very unlikely any will. Given the lack of opportunities for female footballers I'd find it difficult to criticise any who get the chance to play for GB, it's just too big an opportunity.

ETA I'm actually not sure if the rules for 2020 Olympic women's football would mean a play-off between European countries who've finished at the same stage of the competition, I'm just guessing because that's what they do in age-grade tournaments (England beat Scotland in one in Northern Ireland last year) and they had one between Sweden and Denmark for the 2008 Olympics.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

ETA I'm actually not sure if the rules for 2020 Olympic women's football would mean a play-off between European countries who've finished at the same stage of the competition, I'm just guessing because that's what they do in age-grade tournaments (England beat Scotland in one in Northern Ireland last year) and they had one between Sweden and Denmark for the 2008 Olympics.

For the 2016 Olympics the 4 teams eliminated in the last 16 at the World Cup were vying for 1 spot at the Olympics, these were: Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. The tournament was played as a round robin in The Netherlands, with Sweden winning the group and qualifying.

4 hours ago, Marten said:

For the 2016 Olympics the 4 teams eliminated in the last 16 at the World Cup were vying for 1 spot at the Olympics, these were: Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. The tournament was played as a round robin in The Netherlands, with Sweden winning the group and qualifying.

Ta, I had missed that.

Archived