Championship TV Deal

4 hours ago, wuffster said:

I get a nominal fee (not just for highlights by the way). I appreciate the contribution to cover some of my costs and it puts me on a more professional basis with the club i.e. it is easy to get rid of me if i don't meet expectations - which I am happy with. I've never claimed to be a volunteer.

Only a tinpot club wouldn't pay someone to do a job.  This is the way it should be.  

19 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Most supporters at this level do that kind of thing for free

Which clubs are doing that out of interest?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Only a tinpot club wouldn't pay someone to do a job.  This is the way it should be.  

Well, Queens for one :lol:

I could be wrong but as far as I know the guys who do video, photography, match reporting etc for clubs are volunteers apart from the big clubs.

58 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Eh? Whose gate receipts lost from live tv equate to £15k? Never in a month of Sundays is the potential loss as much as that. Even at £20 per adult and all affected supporters being adults that means a reduction of 1,000 in gate. Hardly likely. Depending on who the away team is (because the biggest reduction will likely be in visiting supporters) it may mean a few hundred at most. Likely in most cases not as much as that. The reported £7k which is just a rough average would likely cover any loss for most games.

If you are going to challenge other folks’ random projections then you have to do better than simply introducing your own random projections.

If you can present a detailed financial projection on Excel or equivalent supporting your hypothesis fair enough; otherwise back off.

Our club could easily lose 1,000 paying supporters if a game is changed from a Saturday 3pm kick off to a random evening televised match.

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I could be wrong but as far as I know the guys who do video, photography, match reporting etc for clubs are volunteers apart from the big clubs.

Our guys used to do it for free but recently they've been looking to get someone to sponsor the highlights to cover travel to games/any camera maintenance that's required throughout the season.  Some will do it out of the goodness of their hearts but I don't think people looking for a small fee for covering costs is much of a criticism.

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I always think the TV coverage argument and how it affects attendances at our level is debatable, basically most fans who follow our clubs will be season ticket holders or hardcore fans who will be going in any event, on the other hand, having TV coverage brings you to the attention of lapsed fans and even a whole new audience who may like what they see and then start attending matches.

I'd also say that it would be beneficial for fans of teams such as Inverness, Ross County who are playing away at the likes of Dumfries and Ayr (and vice versa) as realistically few would be travelling and the ones that were would more than likely still go in any case.

The bottom line is that publicity of any kind is generally good and even more so when on mainstream, although like others here, I'd have hoped for a better spread of the wealth to the Chamionship Clubs.

Completely agree with what you're saying, especially about the publicity and the away fans benefit, but I think it's the moving of the fixtures from Sat afternoons to Friday nights which folk think could have the biggest affect on attendance, rather than die hards watching on TV instead of going to the games

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Our guys used to do it for free but recently they've been looking to get someone to sponsor the highlights to cover travel to games/any camera maintenance that's required throughout the season.  Some will do it out of the goodness of their hearts but I don't think people looking for a small fee for covering costs is much of a criticism.

It wasnt a criticism. Queen also have sponsorship that covers some of the equipment but the time is volunteered.

29 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Completely agree with what you're saying, especially about the publicity and the away fans benefit, but I think it's the moving of the fixtures from Sat afternoons to Friday nights which folk think could have the biggest affect on attendance, rather than die hards watching on TV instead of going to the games

Aah Yes, I get your point. 

I think this ties into a bigger issue of how the game is run, and not just at a Scottish level. in Europe the champions league prize money gives teams a huge advantage so juventus and Bayern have dominated their leagues in a way that's unprecedented, in our league it's giving celtic an even bigger boost. at a lower scottish level, tv cash is giving premiership teams a huge advantage over championship sides. it's not about 1 tv deal, it's about tv and prize money making the game less competitive to the advantage a few clubs. what's needed is a fairer distribution of the money from fifa and uefa right down to the sfa and spfl. obviously if a team wins a trophy they deserve more prize money and tv cash than other teams but not as one sided as it is at the moment.

8 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

This. I'm genuinely surprised Ayr (and presumably Alloa since LeodhasXD is clearly the cameraman for Alloa) are paying for it. Other than the biggest clubs with their own in house media departments I presumed they were all voluntary. I know several clubs which definitely are, including us.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Yes, it's not a criticism. In a perfect world all such people would be properly paid. Good luck to them if they are getting paid, though I suspect there will be more not paid than paid. I guess to an extent it depends who is providing the equipment. We have a volunteer produce the highlights but the equipment is provided by the club via a sponsorship arrangement with a local supplier (Wilsons).

I'm not criticising Wuffster for being paid for his work. I'm querying why he thinks he should get a further payment if the SPFL use those highlights (the rights of which belong to them) to produce a tv show and if they don't do so he'll stop doing it on a point of principle. I think that's an odd attitude.

4 hours ago, honestly united said:

I appreaciate that its a plucked out the air figure, but 20 games means 2 home games, per team, and its not just gate money, its hospitality, catering income etc as well which £7k probably wouldnt cover

It would also mean more money overall for championship clubs

Fair enough, I missed that it means two games each. Of course, hospitality and catering have costs attached too (and most clubs don't run their own catering anyway, they rent it out). The loss isn't the income, it's the profit, which will be much lower. Presuming there is a loss. We don't play many Friday night games but when we have we've not seen any significant downturn in hospitality for it. Sunday games are worse because people have work the next day.

3 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

So have they announced a schedule of games or anything like that?

Arbroath vs Dundee and East Fife vs St Mirren were the two I saw

23 hours ago, honestly united said:

I appreaciate that its a plucked out the air figure, but 20 games means 2 home games, per team, and its not just gate money, its hospitality, catering income etc as well which £7k probably wouldnt cover

It would also mean more money overall for championship clubs

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair enough, I missed that it means two games each. Of course, hospitality and catering have costs attached too (and most clubs don't run their own catering anyway, they rent it out). The loss isn't the income, it's the profit, which will be much lower. Presuming there is a loss. We don't play many Friday night games but when we have we've not seen any significant downturn in hospitality for it. Sunday games are worse because people have work the next day.

Actually, now I'm back at home after three days 'on the road' and have read the thing properly, it says "20 games over 2 years" and £7k per year. Which is consistent with what I'd been told before, that every club would be shown at home only once per season. £7k benefit will cover any losses from that in at least 9 cases out of 10. Granny Danger can claim Dundee United are the exception if he likes.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Actually, now I'm back at home after three days 'on the road' and have read the thing properly, it says "20 games over 2 years" and £7k per year. Which is consistent with what I'd been told before, that every club would be shown at home only once per season. £7k benefit will cover any losses from that in at least 9 cases out of 10. Granny Danger can claim Dundee United are the exception if he likes.

When does the TV deal start ?

Archived