Motherwell v Livingston Sat 6th October

20 minutes ago, nsr said:

Wasn't that when we were still uncertain of whether we'd be relegated or whether truth and justice would prevail re Falkirk's substandard stadium? As I recall we threw out a young team with a "what the hell" attitude and demolished your fine selves. It was quite a surreal match.

Cant comment on the team selection but no-one was demoted that year yet you did appear to finish bottom. Think that was when Falkirk were in Brockville but looking to move so I imagine you are correct. As I recall Brockville didn't meet the minimum safety standards or capacity (was it 10k then?)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Falkirk had made arrangements with Airdrie to ground-share for the following season, and had these discussions in good time for it to be sorted.

What they hadn't bothered to check however, was who owned the stadium and therefore who they should make the arrangements with.

Clue: it wasn't Airdrie.

46 minutes ago, nsr said:

Wasn't that when we were still uncertain of whether we'd be relegated or whether truth and justice would prevail re Falkirk's substandard stadium? As I recall we threw out a young team with a "what the hell" attitude and demolished your fine selves. It was quite a surreal match.

Loved that mad game - Faddy getting the captains armband late on as he was offski was my favourite part of it.

That whole season was weird given that we finished bottom - but anyone who was "there" will tell you it was actually pretty enjoyable and had more highlights (and 20 man rammys) than any number of humdrum seasons where we were perfectly safe in mid-table.

ETA - or maybe this is better as it shows the penalty.

I was at the league cup match where we lost 1-0 (was one of the worst games of football i'd seen in a while). Motherwell are a big strong side who will give our back three a headache (more so than Sevco). Think this one will be tough. Can see a 1-1.

34 minutes ago, Swello said:

Loved that mad game - Faddy getting the captains armband late on as he was offski was my favourite part of it.

That whole season was weird given that we finished bottom - but anyone who was "there" will tell you it was actually pretty enjoyable and had more highlights (and 20 man rammys) than any number of humdrum seasons where we were perfectly safe in mid-table.

Without dragging the thread way off topic, I'm no having this.  We had three or four good games that season, but we had two separate spells where we went 10 or 11 games and picked up one point.  That's pretty much two-thirds of the season and we got two points.

So much time has passed that people forget just how fucking dreadful we were that season.  Barring home games against Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and the end-of-season friendly against Livi, it was far from "pretty enjoyable".  It was grim.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

Without dragging the thread way off topic, I'm no having this.  We had three or four good games that season, but we had two separate spells where we went 10 or 11 games and picked up one point.  That's pretty much two-thirds of the season and we got two points.

So much time has passed that people forget just how fucking dreadful we were that season.  Barring home games against Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and the end-of-season friendly against Livi, it was far from "pretty enjoyable".  It was grim.

:) Totally get it - but I actually "enjoyed" that season warts and all - and I've surprised by the number of people that I've spoken to and have had the same point of view. That season is the only reason I give a bit of credence to the point of view that we should just chuck young players in come what may (which I tend not to agree with normally). We did that out of necessity that season and it clearly didn't work in the short term but I actually enjoyed watching the team a lot more because of it, despite all the mistakes and losses. And there were lots of fights.  

7 hours ago, Desp said:

Agree with this overall and I think that 'time' has been kind to season 2002/2003 from our perspective. As you say, for every win over Rangers we had three defeats to Livingston, on one occasion by 5-1.  For all we beat Celtic we then went nearly three whole months without a league victory. For our 6-1 thrashing of Hearts(which I'm sure ended that dismal run) you can raise the fact that we failed to beat Partick Thistle in four attempts, Alex fucking Burns scored in every game against us and our final meeting with them at Firhill in late April where we lost 3-0 was and still is one of the worst ever team performances I've ever seen from a Motherwell team with so much to play for. And for all we had Faddy we also had Stevie Woods.

However, bizarrely I too would look back on that season with a bit of fondness and always will. We didn't know if the club would survive the season in existence and so that in itself brought the club and the support as close together as I've ever known. We also had a raw side with a genuinely top drawer wonderkid in James McFadden who you always knew at least had the potential to pull something out of nowhere. And then of course there was the Scottish Cup run to our first Semi Final since '91 and that away day at Stranraer. Any 'Well fan who was there that day and in Girvan afterwards as the team bus passed through the town needs no explanation of why that was such an amazing day/moment.

It was a bizarre season, unique even, but it lives long in the memory.

As for Saturday, I think we will scrape it in the shitfest to end all shitfest.

1-0 with Bowman scoring.

Can see this being a much more even affair than our last match, given Motherwell won’t have anywhere near the same level as arrogance as the ****. I’d have happily taken a draw here before the season started and despite our excellent start, I still would.

21 hours ago, well fan for life said:

IMG_1303.jpg

Shocked they binned the #twistandpout marketing line tbqhwy.

Aptly chosen as you're up against the sexiest team in the league :D 

Ryan Hardie should be back for this and Sibbald could start. Two of our best players back from injury would be a massive boost but Hardie and Menga up front is going to be liquid dynamite

37 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Aptly chosen as you're up against the sexiest team in the league :D 

Ryan Hardie should be back for this and Sibbald could start. Two of our best players back from injury would be a massive boost but Hardie and Menga up front is going to be liquid dynamite

Trouble is Pittman; Byrne and Jacobs have been immense in the centre whilst Lamie and Lawless have been impressive on the wings/ Who would you drop to bring Sibbald in;  there's no doubt he;s a very good player but calling him one of our best is probably stretching it a bit.

Likewise with Hardie; Menga scored the goal on Saturday but Robinson made it. I wonder if Motherwell would mind if we started the game with thirteen players on the pitch?

Skill wise Sibbs is prob the best yep, wouldn't leave any of our midfield 3 for him though, their graft, skill and sheer will to win goes above just pure skill for me. Sibbald is an exciting player though, one that gets you on the edge of your seat when he has the ball around the opposition box, for me it is more him and Robinson you'd choose from. Robinson is also a very good player for us so still a difficult choice. Over the season we'll need the whole squad and these things will sort themselves out. We've also got Bobby Burns on loan from Hearts, he came on against Sevco and looked a tidy player, good crosses into the box from him too.

I quite like Kaja too but he's competing against Lawless, Lamie has nailed down his spot because he's really good defensively too, and can switch to a back 4 when needed, like he did against Sevco, wins everything in the air up front as well, which is good when Miller is out of the team.

I think we'll prob start with the same team though, unless Menga isn't fit, he was limping and had an ice pack strapped to his leg after the Sevco game, hopefully he's fine, and we can bring Hardie and Sibbald on as subs. Great having all these players able to add something to the team being there when needed though, bodes well for the season ahead.

Ideally once Hardie is fully fit hime and Menga will start up front, then feck knows what Holt will do when Rafa and Miller are back, but what a headache to have, fantastic.

I think the only question (fitness aside) is whether Lawless will start. Great player offensively but struggled at times against Rangers hence an apparent formation change. 

I personally wouldn't change anything. 

The Cadden Twin Derby.....although Nicky will almost certainly start from the bench.  Like others, I expect this to be a thought affair. Thinking 1-1 but hoping to sneak a 2-1 victory against the Well.

Motherwell is still a ground I've not been to before. 

Can anyone advise on the parking situation; other than a few side streets I cant see any car parks on the map and the stadium doesn't appear to have its own facility.

EDIT - there appears to be something off Dalzell Drive but suspect it may be limited to coaches etc?

11 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Motherwell is still a ground I've not been to before. 

Can anyone advise on the parking situation; other than a few side streets I cant see any car parks on the map and the stadium doesn't appear to have its own facility.

EDIT - there appears to be something off Dalzell Drive but suspect it may be limited to coaches etc?

If Livi fans are in the Phil O'Donnell stand then you'll be absolutely fine to park in any of the side streets in the vicinity.  You've also got the possibility of parking in the Civic Centre which is a five minute walk away. 

Archived